#21 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

The blending is really smooth and really very naturalistic, which is nice. The background color is a little too close to the skin tone, so the outer edges are getting pretty fuzzy with the whole background/foreground. Not sure if that's intentional.

I think you can go for a bit more contrast in your shadows, making them a bit darker to really have them make the brighter bits stand out. For example, the bridge of the nose against the cheek is something of a blurry line. If you make the cheek a bit darker, I think the division between the two will be a little more clearer and may make it look a bit better than it is right now.

In addition, bringing more color to the eyes, since they also tend to blend in. I think the biggest problem so far is that your color range is relatively small, so everything hits these mid-tones. If you compare that to your previous drawing in this thread (black and white chick with red eyes) you can see that there's very dark darks and very light lights going on there. You don't have the same in this piece just yet.

In terms of color choices, I think you definitely have a nice handle on the palette selection, but you shouldn't be too afraid of taking a few hues from a cooler palette or expanding the warm palette colors you've chosen.

I'm just now realizing you said this is on one layer.

Maybe this is better advice to give when you make your next picture, perhaps. Changing the background color won't be very easy :\ You could still experiment with going darker and lighter and really pushing those shadows and highlights for a much more dramatic effect.

It seems silly to tell you this since I think you have a very nice understanding of anatomy and lights/shadows already. It's probably all stuff you already know >_>

#22 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Where the nose connects to the brow seems too flat to me. There needs to be a dip between the brow and the top of the nose, no? Where the eyes are? Should be recessed slightly from the forehead itself.

Her far eye (left, for her perspective) isn't on the right plane, it seems. It's not... angled enough. Not angled properly with the head, I don't think.

Also, have you noticed that you tend to draw one face? You don't usually have much variation (if any at all) in how you draw your noses/lips/jaw/chin on your characters, which makes them all look very... same-y. Even the bodies you draw tend to all look the same, with little differences between any pair of them in terms of proportion, size of features, or placement of features and the like.

The main way that your characters are differentiated is in the hair you draw.

Oh, and try drawing some expressions, sometime. You always draw that same blank face. No joy, no sorrow, no fear, no excitement, nothing. It's just blah. And I don't think I've seen you even draw an open mouth recently. :<

Suggestions for what to do, I guess? I dunno.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#23 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Thanks a lot, Valor! o/

You just don't know how right you are about the contrast. lol
The problem is that I'm always afraid to add some contrast with colors. Black and white drawings are a piece of cake, but when it comes to colors...that's a different story. <<
I know the basics, like adding cooler colors in shadows and all. I know WHAT I have to do, but not HOW. >:
The background would be no problem, I just have to be careful, which is no biggie.

Thank you, too, Iggy! \o

You're right about the brow-nose thing. I was having some problems with it so I just left it like that. lol ...Well, I'm going to change it since this is no the final image.

I also noticed that something is wrong with the far eye, but it's not because of the angle. o: It seems to be less opened and I also have to change the right end of the eye.

Believe me, I know how alike they are. That's also a problem of mine I'm aware of...And I can't overcome it just yet. >:

Although I like blank expressions (not only drawing them) because they seem kinda mysterious and in a way unpredictable, drawing expressions would be a nice change! Thanks for the suggestion, Iggy. Much appreciated. :3

I should demand comments more often! D:

The EARTH without ART is just EH...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#24 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks a lot, Valor! o/

You just don't know how right you are about the contrast. lol
The problem is that I'm always afraid to add some contrast with colors. Black and white drawings are a piece of cake, but when it comes to colors...that's a different story. <<
I know the basics, like adding cooler colors in shadows and all. I know WHAT I have to do, but not HOW. >:
The background would be no problem, I just have to be careful, which is no biggie.

Not a problem \o

It helps me keep my art critiquing skills sharp, since they tend to dull when I'm not in those kinds of classes. I think that the squinting rule really helped me when I was working with shadows and highlights. Just squinting and making sure that it's a nice gradient instead of a blob of middletone.

That's why we experiment though, to figure out how to do things outside of our comfort zone :D It's definitely the best way to grow as an artist, I feel. So don't be afraid to make mistakes. If it looks bad, just cover it up or save beforehand and revert it. :P TAKE RISKS.

147.png

#25 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

On a similar note to what Iggy said, you also draw the same angle a lot, it seems. The drawings are kind of mirrored in a way, with different hair in some instances. I would love to see less close ups and full body shots, since I haven't really seen anything recent of yours that isn't a close up.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#26 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Sorry, guyz! I've been busy with university crap! D:<
Anyway...I'm still trying to change my ways <<
I've been trying out Corel Painter 12 and ZBrush 4.0 ...I know so little about them! And I'm still searching for tutorials lol
The only thing I know in Corel Painter is how to change the brush options so I can make them more pressure sensitive and the mirror option...

Here are some new stuff. Enjoy!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#27 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

That 3D one is pretty cool. O: What did you use to make that? I like the first one too. The variation in art styles is really nice, and it really brings out how much you can do. O:

Also, that last one reminds me of art by Akihiko Yoshida, one of my favorite video game artists o:

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#28 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I use Zbrush for the 3D stuff.

Finally! Something that has written "me" all over it...It's been quite a while since I've done something like that... <<

I call it "The escapist" and I think this'll be the final version...There may be some changes in the anatomy if I see any mistakes.
Spoiler

<3

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#29 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

I love this picture for many reasons, not least of which being that she has a DIFFERENT FACE from any I've seen you make. >.< <3

And I can really tell when you actually like... like what you are drawing or not. This one feels like it has this sort of passion behind it that a lot of your more recent stuff doesn't have. Not to say your other recent stuff is bad, just this is definitely the best thing you've drawn in a while. I really like the dynamic pose, too, and that hand is really kind of awesome. And anatomy-wise, the only thing I see that MIGHT be off is her left leg seems to be missing. Since at the camera angle, we should probably see SOME of her calf and foot, and we see absolutely none of it. Might be from the pose you chose, but might be because it was overlooked idk so just pointing it out. :>

a5g7ld.gif

#30 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

;~; Thank you, Iggy.

Actually I feel the same way about this one. Sure, the recent drawings are not bad and all, but this one has more feeling into it.
I'm glad I could make a drawing which can speak to its viewers. It means I've become more of an artist! o;

About the left leg (her right, our left)...Because of the perspective and the fact that it's more to the back than the right leg (our right), you can't see almost anything from it. And the reason why we can't see the other part of her right leg, apart from the perspective, is that after the knee, the leg is actually going inward.

Like...When you draw legs from the front, they're not like ||, but rather more \/, so yeah........Great explanation lol

Some WIPs of the drawing:

Edited by Eternal Oblivion, 16 November 2012 - 05:06 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#31 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Spoiler

Sketching my next drawing just before going to bed...It took me 1hr or so...I need to check if the anatomy is right, because I didn't use any ref.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#32 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Meh...Just some random work sheets.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#33 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Practising on ZBrush...I don't want to get rusty D:
Spoiler

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#34 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

D: I wanted to redo a very old drawing of mine, which was with colors, but I ended up making it black & white...Also wanted to make a BG, made one and then just left the drawing without it.
Still like it thought > link < took me 2h or so, only 1 layer for the shading.
Not something you'd expect from me lol

Edited by Eternal Oblivion, 16 January 2013 - 03:14 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#35 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

omigosh, you can draw people happy and smiling D:

147.png

#36 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hold on, wh-

Oh lord. It's beautiful. All of it.

2j87ib.jpg

#37 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

It's sort of refreshing to see something that's not dark and/or depressing out of you. It's sort of awesome, really.

a5g7ld.gif

#38 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Made some changes to her face.

Hah, thanks, guys! Just the sort of comments I thought I'd see. lol

Yeah, it's a good thing D: I agree!

xD And YES! I can't believe it either!

And don't forget- she also has clothes!

Edited by Eternal Oblivion, 16 January 2013 - 03:14 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

#39 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

It does look quite lovely. I like her hair the most in the picture. It's really beautiful. Her smile is really nice and just feels genuine, not something forced or made for a picture. She seems to be quite happy and it's rather nice to see.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#40 Eternal Oblivion

Eternal Oblivion

Page

• Page
  • 83 posts
  • Lurker

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hehe...Thanks! ;D

Also...More changes! I added colors and a background > link ......WHY SO SLOPPY?!

If I were to start selling drawings/commissions...Would you guys buy from me? .-. And if so, how much would you pay for the drawing I just uploaded? Consider the amount of details, the usage of colors, its size and the fact that it has a background.

Serious question.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮