10 replies to this topic

#1 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

Blizzard Bans Single Player Cheaters - Cheat Happens Article

So I saw this and I'm pretty much at a loss as just what to think. I mean I don't think cheating online is acceptable in any way, shape, or form because it negatively impacts the overall user experience for others. However for a single player aspect that's another story entirely for me. There have been many games that after I 100% beat I'll go through for kicks and use a few fun cheat codes just to mess around. I fail to see the harm esp since when you think about it cheats actually make use of data preexisting within the games initial structure but were removed later.

#2 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Personally, I think cheating in any form in a game is lamesauce. At the very same time, I think that using a guide while playing a game is cheating, and I do that frequently on second/third/etc plays of games simply so that I can go for a 100% run without tearing my hair out when I save AFTER missing a missable item.

I think it is the player's right to cheat in a single-player game. They spent the money and purchased the game legally. Why should they then have their money turned to dust just because they wanted to use a cheat code? That's extremely lame. I can understand if they say "oh you cheated, no multiplayer for you!" but to say "oh you cheated so now you can NEVER PLAY EVER AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY TO ME" is just being a whiny baby.

BOO HOO They're abusing cheats to play my game! /wrist/wrist/wrist I'm gonna make you never play again!

I bet they think that banning people like this will discourage cheating in the future in their game! I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing a LOT of returns and very few people who will purchase the game going forward. The bans will do more harm than good. I can't fathom the thought process that goes into doing something as effing retarded as that.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#3 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

Oh wow. Blizzard's policies are some of the worst I've ever read but this one tops the stack. They're basically locking out people from playing their game just because of trophies and online standings. Now, I get that some people might rage at the fact that "cheaters" didn't work hard or at all for their single player achievements but this is a harsh punishment for such a relatively small issue. But in the end, it's all gonna be about making money. No major corporate executive would choose what's best for the player instead of what's best for his pocket.

As for the legality of it, I highly doubt banning people for a payed service over unclear or small grounds is legal. Per usual though, Blizzard will win against any lawsuit due to the fact that they can hire lawyers to defend them.

DHHIpKN.png

#4 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

What's really sad is that I highly doubt anyone will get full refunds for the game too. I wonder how they're being banned as well. I mean if it's just accounts I'd make a new one..but if it's IP then they're kinda sol. It's one of the most retarded things I've ever read. I really can't imagine what these cheats do since the last time I used any kind of cheat code was when I was playing "Enter the Matrix" YEARS ago. I've lost touch with codes cause they're mostly pointless. If anyone knows what these trainers do feel free to enlighten me as well as save me a google search :P but regardless How do they know that they didn't beat the game and restart a new campaign? I mean this is very very sketchy sounding to me

Edited by Rubicante, 11 October 2010 - 07:17 PM.

#5 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

I believe they modify certain aspects of the client when it's launched, sort of like a mod or hack.

However, I highly doubt those things would work in multiplayer mode without being detected. How Blizzard detected it during single player mode, however, baffles me.

#6 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

I believe they modify certain aspects of the client when it's launched, sort of like a mod or hack.

However, I highly doubt those things would work in multiplayer mode without being detected. How Blizzard detected it during single player mode, however, baffles me.

Yeah this bothers me too..the only thing I can think of is that the game has you hooked up to the internet regardless and you just turn multiplayer off and that's how the achievements update. Similar to Xbox live..the only other explanations are far more disconcerting. If a gamer gets mad enough I can't see this holding up in court at all >>;

#7 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yeah this bothers me too..the only thing I can think of is that the game has you hooked up to the internet regardless and you just turn multiplayer off and that's how the achievements update. Similar to Xbox live..the only other explanations are far more disconcerting. If a gamer gets mad enough I can't see this holding up in court at all >>;

I also see some little mod tucked within the game itself that collects instances where you use cheats in single player while not connected to the internet; once internet is activated it automatically sends this info in tandem with the battlenet client connecting.

Sounds a little like Chinese gov't/1984 spying to me >_>

Edited by Waker, 11 October 2010 - 11:17 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#8 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

They said in that article that the bans locked their specific product key (which they paid for legally) from accessing anything in the game at all. They could not play campaign, multiplayer, etc at all in any shape or form.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#9 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

They said in that article that the bans locked their specific product key (which they paid for legally) from accessing anything in the game at all. They could not play campaign, multiplayer, etc at all in any shape or form.

yes but I don't get how the product key can stop a single player game I mean multiplayer sure but single player? Just seems off never heard of it being done before.

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

yes but I don't get how the product key can stop a single player game I mean multiplayer sure but single player? Just seems off never heard of it being done before.

Product key = CD key = that thing you need to input when installing the game so they know it's legit. If they say that your CD key isn't legit, the game won't play for you anymore. I imagine that if you weren't connected to the internet it wouldn't be able to lock you out of it, but if you're forced to connect to the internet for the game to start then you're SOL.

That being said, I don't think that just because you purchased a game you should be allowed to cheat. I don't think that because you purchased a game you should be able to do whatever you wish to with it.

Did you know that there was a case about someone modding a game or something and the COURTS ruled that when you "purchased" a game you only "purchased" the right to PLAY the game and were technically "loaned" the physical disc on which the game is played? Therefore you have no rights when you plop down cash for a game. You merely purchased the privilege to play it.

Simple answer to all of this: Don't cheat. Don't spend money on mods and hacks for a game and play it the way it was intended to be played. Not rocket surgery. They ran their accounts at risk by modding it to begin with. Their own fault.

147.png

#11 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

Product key = CD key = that thing you need to input when installing the game so they know it's legit. If they say that your CD key isn't legit, the game won't play for you anymore. I imagine that if you weren't connected to the internet it wouldn't be able to lock you out of it, but if you're forced to connect to the internet for the game to start then you're SOL.

Ok this makes a bit more sense I haven't ever actually bought a PC game disk (usually just download it from the site) was curious as to how it worked exactly.

That being said, I don't think that just because you purchased a game you should be allowed to cheat. I don't think that because you purchased a game you should be able to do whatever you wish to with it.

Understand the point however if you purchase something and they take the money they can't really complain as long as it's not harming anyone that's the real issue imo. Also going back to a previous point that most cheats and such are actually just unlocking content that was ALREADY INSTALLED into the source code. If they had such a problem with it then don't put it into the code simple really >>;

Did you know that there was a case about someone modding a game or something and the COURTS ruled that when you "purchased" a game you only "purchased" the right to PLAY the game and were technically "loaned" the physical disc on which the game is played? Therefore you have no rights when you plop down cash for a game. You merely purchased the privilege to play it.

Stevens versus Sony : an Australian high court ruled Australian consumers and overseas travellers can buy cheaper computer games and hardware offshore and modify them locally. The same court case also ruled that playing a game on a consumer machine does not constitute making an illegal copy of that game. So point is this is legal in some areas and illegal in others. it's definitely going to become a hot topic among gamers but more than that it's boiling down to consumer rights.

Simple answer to all of this: Don't cheat. Don't spend money on mods and hacks for a game and play it the way it was intended to be played. Not rocket surgery. They ran their accounts at risk by modding it to begin with. Their own fault.

I agree that cheating is really pointless and you're ruining yourself by doing it really as well as it being dumb to actually BUY a mod. However I still see it as wrong to take someones money and then be all like OH NO GAME FOR CHO!! just because the company doesn't like what some people choose to do in a SINGLE player campaign.