• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

[IMG]http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://thaweesak.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/assassins-creed-logo.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thaweesak.com/2007/10/25/assassins-creed-ringtone/&usg=__f1bfJ8TSCR7Pgc47-OuiZM1d-As=&h=233&w=420&sz=47&hl=en&start=32&zoom=1&tbnid=DMm_m_QNt33xIM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=212&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAssassin%27s%2BCreed%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1680%26bih%3D837%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C912&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=304&vpy=501&dur=461&hovh=167&hovw=302&tx=199&ty=104&ei=mkX8TNi_KYa0lQfUx7ybBQ&oei=i0X8TL-iCYP7lweEtImLBQ&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:25,s:32&biw=1680&bih=837[/IMG]

Who else has played this third person action adventure series? Anyone here willing to talk about Altair, Desmond, or Ezio?

Anyway, a friend of mine rented the original Assassin's Creed for me. Much better than I thought it would be. Aside from the control issues and some repetitive gameplay, the game is really outstanding, with its beautiful locations, interesting story, and the fun platforming. Can't wait to try out the other two games in the series.

Anyway, feel free to discuss anything about the series here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Finished all three main games as of today. Story is very compelling. I was discussing with Iggy that the next one should take place in Japan. Apparently there's another Creed coming out next year. I worry that Ubi is gonna start churning them out at a Call of Duty like pace and the quality will suffer.

Originally Assassin's Creed was supposed to be a Trilogy, but now is going to span at the very least four games. I worry that they're gonna end up milking it. It's a good series, to be sure.

147.png

#3 Maru

Maru

Page

• Squire
  • 201 posts
  • R.I.P. AnimeCrazy.net

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:02 AM

I love the Assassin's Creed series, I own the first and second games(and have beaten them both), and I put Brotherhood(as well some other games) on my Christmas wishlist.I like 2 better than the first, since there was so much more things you could do in it, and use many different ways to kill your enemies too.I did enjoy hunting down and gutting Templar Knights like fish in the the first game though, that is one thing I liked doing while not going through the story missions right away.I always get everything in AC2, and I play it WAY more than the the first.So, what things do you guys like to do in the AC games?

1xh6ju2xhdiv2z9lsom.jpg

"One must always plan a few moves ahead in battle." -Char Aznable

#4 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

Collecting treasure, flags, feathers are one of my highest priorities. I also explore all of the Lairs, Temples, or whatever else you need to get through. Brotherhood is fun because getting 100% synch is a tiny bit more difficult than it has been. Multiplayer is a hell of a lot of fun as well, which is pretty surprising. My friend and I played like three sessions of it and we're closing in on level 20 of 50. It's really enjoyable.

Also I love poisoning guards and in Brotherhood I <3 the crossbow. It's amazing but way too overpowered. Also hidden gun executions in combat are amazing. Stab through stomach, they bend over in pain, Ezio puts his hand to the back of their head and BAM.

Best execution I ever saw was a double, and I sat slack jawed after seeing it. Stabbed one guy with my sword, Ezio points his other hand at a second enemy and shoots him in the head. Two down in an instant. so amazing.

147.png

#5 Maru

Maru

Page

• Squire
  • 201 posts
  • R.I.P. AnimeCrazy.net

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I like to collect all the treasure, feathers, and explore every area too, Rae.Unfortunately, I never found all the flags in the first game, but I did find all the ones in Masyaf.My first play through of AC2 I didn't collect everything until after the story ended, but now everytime I play a new game I get everything before the story ends.I love the Altair Armor, it is not only awesome looking and stylish, it never breaks at all, lols <:3.So, 100% Synch will be harder in Brotherhood, eh? I look forward to it.^_^

1xh6ju2xhdiv2z9lsom.jpg

"One must always plan a few moves ahead in battle." -Char Aznable

#6 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Bumping this like a motha, because there's a new Assassin's Creed title that will be announced in May. It's titled Assassin's Creed Revelations. There's speculation it's another Ezio title, but I don't think it will be. However, it's not Assassin's Creed 3, which makes me think we'll see Assassin's Creed 3 next year in 2012 like it should be.

147.png

#7 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

I think I've figured out everything Subject 16 has been talking about, and what Desmond needs to do to save the world, but I don't want to spoil those who haven't played Brotherhood.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#8 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

Looks like Ezio's trilogy is ending this fall (November?) with Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Details are slim until next month's Game Informer hits stands nnnnnnext week? but the rumahz are that you play as Ezio, Altair, and Desmond.

Also they're bringing back new and improved multiplayer.

If you never played multiplayer in Brotherhood, you MUST. It's so awesome.

Color me excited. It's next to the yellow.

147.png

#9 Kaoru-Koala

Kaoru-Koala

Page

• Page
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

I have only played the first game, which was decent, but I'd like to play the other games before I cast judgment on the series as a whole. I must say that the presentation of the series is great and very consistent, but as I have only played the first one, I can only judge the gameplay of the first one. That said, I didn't do a lot of missions in the first game, mostly, i just ran around, sandboxing the game, getting used to how it played. The stealth is well... Unique...

It's more like hiding in plain sight, ala' the Hitman games than, say, hiding in the shadows, like in Thief. But, there's a lot of weird things about the stealth mechanics in this game. First off, how can you pass off as a 'scholar' (monk) when you have a huge scimitar strapped to your back and weapons all over your belt? I used this 'scholar' imitation thing all the time, and somehow, it was absolutely foolproof, despite how anyone with more grey matter than an ant could see through it. You can get away with practically anything this way.

On the way into the second or third town, you'd have guards along these roads atop a cliff. The guards face AWAY from you, toward the cliff, space maybe 5-10 feet apart. I push one off the cliff, killing him, and instantly walk away all scholar-moded. The other guard realizes that the first guard is dead and goes all 'who did this?!?' while I'm just walking along with my head bowed RIGHT BY THE SCENE OF THE CRIME decked out with weapons, but because my head is bowed, I'm totally not the killer. On a larger, more ridiculous scale, the Templars had some presentation somewhere that I happened upon. Some guy was presenting on a podium in front of maybe 50 or so knights. I walked up on the podium in scholar mode, killed the presenter before their eyes, went back into scholar mode, and walked off with nary a problem.

And don't get me started on the horses. Here is the purpose of horses: They get you places quickly. They are the old-timey equivalent of cars, except, back then, I'm fairly sure there were no templars decked out with speedometer visors. Yet, running too quickly with your horse can get you chased down and killed by guards, when the whole point of using a horse is TO RUN QUICKLY. The argument the game gives, IIRC, is that running with your horse draws more attention to yourself, but, horses are used especially because they can run fast, and if the way you're dressed is supposed to be some kind of tip-off, then why would it make sense to ride your horse at human walking speed, giving the knights a BETTER look at you for you taking so damn long? And that nullifies the whole 'act like a scholar' thing, too.

Now, to the combat. Combat in Assassin's Creed (still the first one) is like being a protagonist in a Hong Kong action movie. The more enemies surround you, the easier they are to dispatch, the less there are, the more you're going to get your ass handed to you. Why? In big groups, enemies circle around you, and like in any cheesy HK action flick, they wait their turn, only attacking when their turn is up. This said, groups of enemies are slow and easy to block and dispatch. However, one enemy alone can rip you apart because they don't follow such rules of gentlemanly combat on their own.

Just a little insight on the first game.
Posted Image

#10 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:08 PM

I have only played the first game, which was decent, but I'd like to play the other games before I cast judgment on the series as a whole. I must say that the presentation of the series is great and very consistent, but as I have only played the first one, I can only judge the gameplay of the first one. That said, I didn't do a lot of missions in the first game, mostly, i just ran around, sandboxing the game, getting used to how it played. The stealth is well... Unique...

It's more like hiding in plain sight, ala' the Hitman games than, say, hiding in the shadows, like in Thief. But, there's a lot of weird things about the stealth mechanics in this game. First off, how can you pass off as a 'scholar' (monk) when you have a huge scimitar strapped to your back and weapons all over your belt? I used this 'scholar' imitation thing all the time, and somehow, it was absolutely foolproof, despite how anyone with more grey matter than an ant could see through it. You can get away with practically anything this way.

On the way into the second or third town, you'd have guards along these roads atop a cliff. The guards face AWAY from you, toward the cliff, space maybe 5-10 feet apart. I push one off the cliff, killing him, and instantly walk away all scholar-moded. The other guard realizes that the first guard is dead and goes all 'who did this?!?' while I'm just walking along with my head bowed RIGHT BY THE SCENE OF THE CRIME decked out with weapons, but because my head is bowed, I'm totally not the killer. On a larger, more ridiculous scale, the Templars had some presentation somewhere that I happened upon. Some guy was presenting on a podium in front of maybe 50 or so knights. I walked up on the podium in scholar mode, killed the presenter before their eyes, went back into scholar mode, and walked off with nary a problem.

Yeah, that was irritating in AC1. They fixed the AI in AC2, and its MUCH better, believe me. Getting away with things is harder. Guards actually poke hay stacks with their weapons if they happen to think your there.

And don't get me started on the horses. Here is the purpose of horses: They get you places quickly. They are the old-timey equivalent of cars, except, back then, I'm fairly sure there were no templars decked out with speedometer visors. Yet, running too quickly with your horse can get you chased down and killed by guards, when the whole point of using a horse is TO RUN QUICKLY. The argument the game gives, IIRC, is that running with your horse draws more attention to yourself, but, horses are used especially because they can run fast, and if the way you're dressed is supposed to be some kind of tip-off, then why would it make sense to ride your horse at human walking speed, giving the knights a BETTER look at you for you taking so damn long? And that nullifies the whole 'act like a scholar' thing, too.

Now, to the combat. Combat in Assassin's Creed (still the first one) is like being a protagonist in a Hong Kong action movie. The more enemies surround you, the easier they are to dispatch, the less there are, the more you're going to get your ass handed to you. Why? In big groups, enemies circle around you, and like in any cheesy HK action flick, they wait their turn, only attacking when their turn is up. This said, groups of enemies are slow and easy to block and dispatch. However, one enemy alone can rip you apart because they don't follow such rules of gentlemanly combat on their own.

Just a little insight on the first game.

Like I said, these issues are addressed in AC2 and they're mostly fixed. You should give it a chance some time. :D

#11 Kaoru-Koala

Kaoru-Koala

Page

• Page
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, that was irritating in AC1. They fixed the AI in AC2, and its MUCH better, believe me. Getting away with things is harder. Guards actually poke hay stacks with their weapons if they happen to think your there.

Like I said, these issues are addressed in AC2 and they're mostly fixed. You should give it a chance some time. :D

I really do wanna play AC2 and Brotherhood eventually because I heard they were great, the issue is having the money for it and being able to buy it when something that gets more of my attention isn't out. Especially this year with Deus Ex 3, The Witcher 2, BioShock: Infinite, XCOM, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and possibly a few others, one of which is already out. And I still need to get me a PSP (or PS3 with the PSP-to-PS3 games I want). I like to prioritize my purchases like that.
Posted Image

#12 Epic

Epic

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,196 posts
  • I'M BACK BITCHES

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:35 AM

I really do wanna play AC2 and Brotherhood eventually because I heard they were great, the issue is having the money for it and being able to buy it when something that gets more of my attention isn't out. Especially this year with Deus Ex 3, The Witcher 2, BioShock: Infinite, XCOM, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and possibly a few others, one of which is already out. And I still need to get me a PSP (or PS3 with the PSP-to-PS3 games I want). I like to prioritize my purchases like that.

You should really start playing them. :/ Revelations is going to be out soon. Then you'll be 3 games behind.

I will definitely be getting Revelations. Saw it in Game Informer and I was instantly 8,000,000x more excited for it.

hitchens-1949-2011-by-Gasper-Tringale.jp

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. I promise."

- Christopher Hitchens

#13 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

Epic revival.

Finished ACR. Title is quite fitting. Nothing too earth shattering, really. A lot of things you could pretty much guess, but the story told is worth telling.

Sets up AC3 pretty well, but I do have to wonder if the Animus is even going to used again in the next entry. Since I don't feel like spoiling, I'll leave it there for now.

147.png

#14 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

So, we've been discussing Assassin's Creed 3 for the past few days. Here's a bit of summarization.

Posted Image

Meet Conner. Half English, Half Native American. His Native American name appears to be Ratohnhake-ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He experienced his home being destroyed by English colonists, and so he wants to stab some red coats. Hell. to the yeah. This game takes place during roughly thirty years of the American Revolution - from 1753 to 1783. Just so you know, the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776 (for those who don't know American History or whatever, that was basically the formal declaration of war against England)

• More details about the protagonist/scenarios: You will experience Connor's childhood on the American frontier as he is raised by the Mohawk. The Mohawk eventually clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confront tyranny and injustice.
  • A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.
  • Uses a new version of the Anvil engine that can "depict thousands of troops engaged in bloody battle" along with highly detailed face close-ups.
  • They later imply that if they used version numbers, they would be like going from Anvil 1.0 -> Anvil 2.0 or something of that nature.
  • Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum.
  • The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system.

What about the settlers and colonials?

• George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.
  • Benjamin Franklin: He's not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.
  • Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.
  • The game is set between the years 1753 - 1783 and is centered around the cities of Boston and New York.
  • "It's not just going to a historical building now; it's going to a historical event."

Question: What about gameplay? Same old shit from AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations? I'm kind of sick of climbing walls and building relationships with factions and den defense. It's all kind of old hat. Boring, stale, CoD of Third Person games. As if AC3 would bring something new to the table. I should have seen this coming.

Answer: Shut the hell up, you suck, and go die in a fire. Here's some gameplay elements from AC3, asshole.

• "You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington's forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important, and hopefully, experience the reason why we know where they are today. That's the goal."
  • Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.
  • The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor's journey.

• Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world.
  • The French and Native Americans will also feature in the game, as was probably really obvious.
  • The modern day stuff relates to that location in New York at the end of Revelations.
  • There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier.
  • The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.
  • The Frontier is not empty like in Assassin's Creed 1, but features a third of the game's missions and gameplay content.
  • You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.
  • The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier, allowing you to use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat.
  • Connor does have a hidden blade.
  • The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.
  • The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.
  • In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you new terrain to work with. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.
  • There are all sorts of clubs and groups who want you to join and give you quests. These are separate from the mission system. These clubs will contact you based on what you do in the game. For example, hunting a lot will get you an invitation to the hunting society.
  • There will be a goods based economy, a new property system, and more Desmond stuff.
  • There's going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.
  • There's a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.
  • They're not unveiling anything about the multiplayer yet.
  • There will be more platforming levels.
  • Full synchronization returns, but with major tweaks. Missions have checkpoints, You also get significant rewards for doing these tasks instead of a 100%. "Imagine a leveling system in an RPG, except there's a finite amount of XP to find. The more in-sync you get, the more you fill your sync bar. Within each mission, each activity you complete has a value". You can replay everything to increase your score.
  • They imply there is something resembling the Brotherhood system of picking up fellow assassins.
  • Aligned groups are gone, but something new is replacing them in regards to factions. They don't say what.
  • There's a new notoriety system that is more hidden and doesn't penalise you for exploring risky areas.
  • The game has fast travel because the game has more traveling.
  • Don't expect more den defense.
  • You can upgrade Connor's gear and costume as the game goes on in an attempt to make it feel more authentic.
  • The cities have a lot more subtle detail now in terms of ambient things that happen.
  • You can now leap over wagons or slide under obstacles, including navigating over and around moving objects. The free running stuff also has you jumping through windows to trees and then on top of church roofs. Basically, expect the free running stuff, but more fluid and presumably generally closer to the ground.
  • Connor enters battle with two weapons. The game uses the same controls in and out of battle.
  • The tomahawk and knife are a "constant presence" in battle. They also let you do double counters and multiple takedowns, and you can chain kills.
  • There's no more target locking, it just automatically detects your target. Counter/defense are the same button to prevent turtling.
  • You can use human shields and other context sensitive moves.
  • They want you to constantly move in battle.
  • There are lots of secondary attacks like the one shot pistol on the Y button.
  • There's a new dynamic camera to track the action and make it look as cinematic as possible.
  • There is a new sprinting system also, so you can hold the button to instantly turn around and start fleeing from combat. They also let you kill people while still moving so you can keep chasing a target. They kind of imply you can even leap off of them after you kill them, though I'm not sure if that makes you faster or just doesn't impede your movement.
  • They really, really, really want you to constantly move. I mean like they say this every four sentences. Not just in battle, but in every section of the game.
  • They also try to keep you more in control of the combat than ever before.
  • Game Informer really loves their animation system.
  • There are around 2.5 hours of character scenes in the game that are fully acted and recorded. They mean this in Naughty Dog style where they have the actors being mocaped while performing on a set that resembles the scene in the game.
  • They're aiming for accuracy by having historical dialog consultants and actual Native American actors.
  • This game has the longest development cycle since AC1, and has twice the production capacity (in terms of work hours) and budget of Revelations.
  • They want the game to feel like AC3.5, and the game will have its first version complete in just a few more weeks, at which point they're going to spend the rest of their time refining it.

So yeah. GOTY 2012 so far. If this is half as good as it promises, this will be the title to beat. Bar none.

Posted Image

Discuss, bitches.

#15 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Did...did he just block a musket with a tomahawk?

MUST HAVE

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#16 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

BSa0Xg-YadY

I can't really tell if Connor jumping through trees and across logs is cutscene or in game graphics. I'm leaning towards cutscene, but it doesn't look good enough to be. If it is in game, it's really good looking. The kill scenes are nice too, but they look pre-rendered. If there are, however, hats flying off when I stab someone in the dome, I will be very pleased. I just highly doubt it.

147.png

#17 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

This trailer looks really awesome. I can't wait for this. Hopefully, some of those sexy kills showed are in game. :O

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#18 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

None was in game, all cutscene.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#19 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, I know. But hopefully, the animations carry over to in game. That's what I meant. >_>;

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#20 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

I figured it was all cutscene, but a lot of those animations and movements I do think are gameplay (if this makes any sense). Basically using mocap data for the cutscene. A lot of Ass Creed cutscenes are done this way, iirc. The sound effects are amazing when he executes the guy with the pistol. It sounds so tactile. I like it.

147.png