• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

The series that started as a man's unbelievable trip to the underwater city of Rapture has now evolved into the skies, with Bioshock: Infinite, a prequel to the original which takes place in the airborne city of Columbia. Feel free to discuss anything in the series, from the crazy plasmids, all the way to speculation on the upcoming Bioshock: Infinite.

Edited by Crimson Jazz, 31 December 2010 - 12:30 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#2 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

OMFG, I WANT BIOSHOCK INFINITE, LIKE NOW. I've watched the gameplay demo so many times. Loved it. BioShock is one of my favorite games of all-time, and with Irrational Games back on the reigns, I KNOW the game will be awesome. Something tells me that the existence of Columbia will somehow be one of the influences that led Andrew Ryan to create Rapture.

Haven't played BioShock 2 yet, but I heard the story is pretty shitty compared to B1. I'll judge for myself, though, whenever I decide to buy it. Maybe tomorrow. And I hear you're a pretty weak Big Daddy and receive the same damage as Jack from the first game.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#3 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

Bioshock 2 is a worthy sequel, but the feeling of despair and loneliness of the first is gone since you're a seven foot walking war machine. You still have a Rivet Gun/Drill. Even if you aren't a bad ass, you feel like one from the get-go. Spear Gun is quite awesome too. Multiplayer is pretty fun and a nice change of pace, but nothing note worthy.

Infinite looks quite spectacular. Too bad it's so far away

147.png

#4 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

I only have the first one, and it is excellent so far. The only real problems I have with the game is the lack of any real plot, except saving Atlus' family and stopping Andrew Ryan, and the many glitches and slowdown in the game. The reason why I have yet to beat the game is because the game would freeze up on me during the fight in Ol' Peachy's place.

From what I've heard, Bioshock 2 is not nearly as good, and I really haven't cared to look into Bioshock: Infinite, due to not wanting any spoilers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#5 GVT

GVT

Page

• Page
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

Bioshock 1 was + Story, - Gameplay
while
Bioshock 2 was - Story, + Gameplay
in simplist terms.
With the interface and menus and many plasmids and weapons being the same from game to game, Bioshock 2 felt more like an add-on mission pack, or mod, and it would have rightly been called so a few years back, but make no mistake: it is still a full game in its own right. The story really wasn't as bad as some claimed, but what are you going to do, right? I found it interesting that opposite of the first game, which had an overly capitalistic overtone, Bioshock 2 was very communistic.

On Bioshock 3...
I rather dislike prequels myself, especially because of Halo Reach. Halo Reach was, as far as I have played the other entries in the series, the best Halo, and to me it seems silly when what is basically the chronologically first entry in a series surpasses those that would technically occur after it. Also, prequels in general are rather... Unneeded, most of the time, created purely as a way to capitalize as much as possible on a well-known series. It happens too often that the best technology and graphics go into prequels and rarely are the original starting entries - essentially the TRUE ones - ever updated to match.

#6 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

I only have the first one, and it is excellent so far. The only real problems I have with the game is the lack of any real plot, except saving Atlus' family and stopping Andrew Ryan, and the many glitches and slowdown in the game. The reason why I have yet to beat the game is because the game would freeze up on me during the fight in Ol' Peachy's place.

From what I've heard, Bioshock 2 is not nearly as good, and I really haven't cared to look into Bioshock: Infinite, due to not wanting any spoilers.

The story does NOT lack. AT ALL. Trust me. You just haven't gotten to the REALLY good parts. Just wait. It gets even better as you get closer to stopping Andrew Ryan. And listening to the audiotapes make the story even more great.

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system

#7 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Bioshock 1 was + Story, - Gameplay
while
Bioshock 2 was - Story, + Gameplay
in simplist terms.
With the interface and menus and many plasmids and weapons being the same from game to game, Bioshock 2 felt more like an add-on mission pack, or mod, and it would have rightly been called so a few years back, but make no mistake: it is still a full game in its own right. The story really wasn't as bad as some claimed, but what are you going to do, right? I found it interesting that opposite of the first game, which had an overly capitalistic overtone, Bioshock 2 was very communistic.

On Bioshock 3...
I rather dislike prequels myself, especially because of Halo Reach. Halo Reach was, as far as I have played the other entries in the series, the best Halo, and to me it seems silly when what is basically the chronologically first entry in a series surpasses those that would technically occur after it. Also, prequels in general are rather... Unneeded, most of the time, created purely as a way to capitalize as much as possible on a well-known series. It happens too often that the best technology and graphics go into prequels and rarely are the original starting entries - essentially the TRUE ones - ever updated to match.

While I generally respect others' opinions, I disagree about Bioshock 1 and 2's ideas from you. The gameplay aspect is essentially exactly the same, so to say that 1's story was better than two's while gameplay is inferior is silly.

Before that, I refute the Bioshock 3 claims. Halo CE is still the best Halo campaign bar freaking none. Halo Reach was good as well, but it wasn't up to CE's standards. I dont see how Reach exceeds those that occur after unless you speak of Armor Abilities, which are explained canonically within and outside of the game if you've finished it. Reach is an advanced site of SPARTAN research, and had many prototypes on the planet that were lost when the covies glassed it. Since it takes place literally days before Halo CE none of this technology was readily available. Since Halo CE -> 3 takes place in less than a year there is no way for anything to have been salvaged for the other games, so it makes sense.

That being said, Bioshock Infinite has yet to have seen to have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING about Rapture or Andrew Ryan. Bioshock is an idea above all else that can take place anywhere. So I don't know where you get the idea of a prequel, because that would imply that Infinite lead to Bioshock 1, which is technically a spin off of System Shock 1 and 2 which were set in space iirc. Infinite is it's own new storyline with a new locale and a new cast with new powers and terminology (and likely re-used gameplay with some additions such at the sky rails to get from place to place instead of the Bathyspheres)

That being said, Bioshock 1 had fantastic gameplay which incoporated magic and weaponry into the FPS, and Bioshock 2 expanded upon that formula in a nice relatively new way. While not bringing anything all that fantastically new to the table, Bioshock 2 definitely stands apart from Bioshock 1. Would 2 be as successful as it was without Bioshock 1 to lean on? I don't think so. Bioshock 1 was an amazing buy, and Bioshock 2 was just good to okay. I rank Bioshock as one of the best games I have ever played, and Bioshock 2 wouldn't crack the top 20, and that's not because it's a re-hash. Judging it on it's own it's just lacking something deeper. It's a very superficial story game, and without that fantastically interesting story that Bioshock 1 boasted it just turns into another generic shooter game set in the Bioshock world. There was no "Would you kindly" moment in Bioshock 2. There was no real drama. No finesse. No... soul basically. It was good, yes, but it wasn't great. Bioshock 1 was great. Is great.

Bioshock Infinite is being made by the same people who made Bioshock 1. I expect the world and more from this title and hope for no multiplayer add on. I don't want to see the death of the single player game any time soon.

147.png

#8 GVT

GVT

Page

• Page
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

I got the idea of 3 being a prequel from someone else saying it above...:rolleyes:
It seems like you only skimmed my post, because in the latter part of that same paragraph I said that I think both stories are about equal, but that 2's story being lesser was a common complaint I'd heard about the games. Despite many plasmids and weapons having an equivalent in 1 and 2 and the menus being pretty much the same 2 was far more fun gameplay-wise. The biggest things for me personally were probably hacking and Plasmid combinations and the fact that you could use a weapon and Plasmid at the same time that made 2 more fun.

You also simply don't understand what I meant about disliking prequels:
Prequels are released after the original games when they should chronologically come first. Because they were released later they benefit from any technological advances in gamemaking since the first entries to the series were released. Halo 1's story was better than Halo R's but the gameplay itself isn't because Halo 1 was released quite a bit ago while R is relatively new. However, R is a prequel to Halo 1. For the very SAKE of story if one wanted to go in chronological order they would have to play a very good game (gameplay/gametech-wise) and then a relatively bad one (1), then a relatively mediocre one (2), then a relatively good or equivalent one (3). I don't know where ODST falls in timeline-wise, cuz I never played it.
On top of that, if the prequel is more like a stand-alone or unrelated story riding on the serie's prestige then it's completely unnecessary and more of an attempt to milk a title for as much as it's worth. And Bioshock 3 will be so if it has nothing to do with the first game!

I hope you don't think I'm someone who would sacrifice story for gameplay; I simply would like to get the entire story in the right order and in a fairly uniformal package without extra titles being thrown in an attempt to milk the series dry. A good storyline is really the most important thing to me. (Hence why I still play RS for its quests, lol...)

#9 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

It's not called BioShock 3. It's called BioShock Infinite. And I only called it a prequel because it's set waaaaaaaaaaaay before BioShock, though Irrational Games says it's not a prequel because it is set in a different time and setting.

Oh wait.....

#10 Alphonse224

Alphonse224

Page

• Page
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

In other words they can't figure out wether its a before or if they want it to be a different story.

#11 GVT

GVT

Page

• Page
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

So it's got nothing to do with Rapture or Andrew Ryan or their beginnings and it's in the sky.
Sounds like it's not really Bioshock at all then...
Does noone else want to question exactly HOW there get to be TWO (or more??) gigantic, self-contained cities that the rest of civilization is totally oblivious to? It was believable in Bioshock - that there was this one sort-of paradise that was created in secret, but now... Well, Rapture's prestige is taken away a bit as well as the fact that if Columbia fails in the game, which is obviously a likely possibility, wouldn't it crash on top of civilization? Shouldn't it have been referenced in the original as something similar to Rapture that didn't work? Thus, inconsistency - another problem with unplanned and frivolous prequels!

I just rewatched the trailer and then a ten-minute gameplay trailer or leak. It looks real cool, and I'll probably end up playing it when it comes out, but it's almost exactly like what I was saying above - they're releasing a new [almost] completely unrelated game that's simply riding on the coattails of a very successful title. If it's Bioshock, let it be called Bioshock, and if it's something different, call it something else!

#12 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

It's BioShock. And if you read the backstory to the game, Columbia was created by the U.S. government, and the people knew about it. It was meant to symbolize the ideas of exceptionalism. But, it was revealed to really be a heavily-armed battleship, causing an "international incident". The U.S. stopped taking responsibility for it, and it's location was lost to the rest of the world soon after. The player-character was only able to get there because the people he was hired by knew Columbia's location.

Oh wait.....

#13 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I know I'm VERY late in saying this, but I've finally beaten Bioshock. The game is very great, nearly flawless if it weren't for a couple of things. First, the game did occasionally either freeze or large scale fights with a Big Daddy and some Splicers did make the frame rate slow down a bit. Also, it seemed too long, especially the part with Sander Cohen. The story, however, was a saving grace, especially as the game neared the ending. There was also a lot of areas to explore, which showed how large Rapture truly was, along with it's backstory. Overall, Bioshock is an awesome game and I can't wait to play the second and Infinite.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#14 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

I played Bioshock on the 360 and I don't recall any bad slow downs or frame rate drops, so maybe it was the ps3 version? I dunno which one you played, but I'm pretty sure it was ps3 if memory serves.

The Sander Cohen part did seem to detract from the main story as like a blip on the radar and much of it was never visited again, but it was an interesting bit.

Bioshock 2 is nothing close to the original in terms of strength of story in my opinion. It's a good story, but there are no real twists that I can remember, so it's pretty straight as an arrow. There are no Andrew Ryan moments or "Would You Kindly" scaled factors which was really upsetting to me.

That being said, I think it's a good game, but don't expect it to blow the original out of the water. I don't think it will. Gameplay is super fun though.

147.png

#15 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

I know I'm VERY late in saying this, but I've finally beaten Bioshock. The game is very great, nearly flawless if it weren't for a couple of things. First, the game did occasionally either freeze or large scale fights with a Big Daddy and some Splicers did make the frame rate slow down a bit. Also, it seemed too long, especially the part with Sander Cohen. The story, however, was a saving grace, especially as the game neared the ending. There was also a lot of areas to explore, which showed how large Rapture truly was, along with it's backstory. Overall, Bioshock is an awesome game and I can't wait to play the second and Infinite.

It ran fine with me. You must have had a bad copy/disk or some hardware issues with your PS3. :0

#16 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

It ran fine with me. You must have had a bad copy/disk or some hardware issues with your PS3. :0

Well, it wasn't all of the time that it happened. The only time I really remember the game crashing was when I had to fight Peach Wilkin's band of splicers with only plasmids and the wrench. There was some significant slowdown whenever there was at least six enemies on screen at once, which wasn't very often. I do think it could be the disc, since the only copy Gamestop had was used.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#17 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

So guys. Bioshock Infinite. I, for one, am incredibly excited about this game. Also I'm glad there isn't multiplayer I need to suffer through to get full achievements :<

CONTINUE DISCUSSION ABOUT BIOSHOCK IN THE SKY WITH CROWS.

147.png

#18 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

BioShock Infinite Delayed to 2013 - IGN

There also won't be an E3 appearance.

This made me very sad. But I do like that Irrational is looking to improve the game the best they can.

Oh wait.....

#19 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Welcome to two weeks ago :V

147.png

#20 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

So I just finished Bioshock Infinite. It was quite a clever game in the end and it brought together all the quite confusing bits quite well. 

Significant plot details follow so you've been warned:

Spoiler

Overall, I gave the game a strong 9.5ish/10.   

Edited by Dion, 27 March 2013 - 11:19 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg