92 replies to this topic

#1 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Posted Image

The news you've all been waiting for. The spiritual successor for Demon's Souls has been announced and is scheduled for a release this year.

The official site can be found here

Take a look at that trailer.

#2 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

They are actually making another one? I love Demon's Souls, even if it is very difficult when starting out. It was just a break from all of those shooters, rhythm, and sports games that would be constantly be released every couple months that was very well needed and will hopefully bring more hope to RPG's.

Anyway, after seeing the trailer, I can easily say it looks to be more of the same, but it's hard not to be happy with that fact. The potential bosses shown in the trailer also look much more amazing and the graphics bring about the dark mood impressively. It also looked as if it might be more cinematic than Demon's Souls, which is also a plus in my book.

The one problem that I have so far is that it seems it is going to be mainly hallways, hallways, and maybe some larger rooms, like Demon's Souls. This is the one thing that annoys me in Demon's Souls, since they constantly give you very cramped spaces to fight at least three or four enemies at once. I just hope they don't make it feel claustrophobic like Demon's Souls so far.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#3 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Anyway, after seeing the trailer, I can easily say it looks to be more of the same, but it's hard not to be happy with that fact. The potential bosses shown in the trailer also look much more amazing and the graphics bring about the dark mood impressively. It also looked as if it might be more cinematic than Demon's Souls, which is also a plus in my book.

Yes. It seems a lot more plot based than Demon's Souls. Story is going to be a lot better. Also, I think character control is going to be a lot better, and gameplay will extend, implementing a more fantasy type movement. You can see how the character jumps off a tower and stabs a "demon", and then falls to the ground. Gameplay differences are sure to be implemented.

The one problem that I have so far is that it seems it is going to be mainly hallways, hallways, and maybe some larger rooms, like Demon's Souls. This is the one thing that annoys me in Demon's Souls, since they constantly give you very cramped spaces to fight at least three or four enemies at once. I just hope they don't make it feel claustrophobic like Demon's Souls so far.

I disagree. Demon's Souls was perfect in its maps. You just had to have the right weapon at the right time. As for this, this game looks like its expanded on Demon's Souls and the environment isn't going to be as dark as it was in Demon's Souls, but at the same time, the enemies look a lot scarier. I'm pretty pumped.

#4 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Yes. It seems a lot more plot based than Demon's Souls. Story is going to be a lot better. Also, I think character control is going to be a lot better, and gameplay will extend, implementing a more fantasy type movement. You can see how the character jumps off a tower and stabs a "demon", and then falls to the ground. Gameplay differences are sure to be implemented.

I disagree. Demon's Souls was perfect in its maps. You just had to have the right weapon at the right time. As for this, this game looks like its expanded on Demon's Souls and the environment isn't going to be as dark as it was in Demon's Souls, but at the same time, the enemies look a lot scarier. I'm pretty pumped.

#5 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

eqaysjKcw-g&

I'll leave this here.

#6 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Looks really good, but it seems that like King's Field, another game by From Software, is going to be more focused on environmental traps rather than sheer enemy numbers. I just hope that it is much more open, rather than full of hallways and one large room. Or if they were to do what they did for the Shrine of Storms and make it one path full of powerful enemies and a cliff face you can easily slip off of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#7 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

It does look like it won't have crammed rooms. But I don't see why that was even an issue in Demon's Souls...

#8 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Two pieces of gameplay for Dark Souls from E3 2011. First of all, noob. Second, the game looks much darker and the game also looks very similar to Demon's Souls- not that it is a bad thing. Those two "bosses" that they had for the two demos look pretty strong, yet able to be slain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#9 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

What ever happened to lock on bro.

The game does not look as dark to me. I'm loving the enemy variety, though. What was he even thinking towards the end of the demo?

#10 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

The whole time, he never took advantage of any of the blood stains or the messages that were left on the ground. The first thing I do in any unknown environment in Demon's Souls is look at any and all messages and blood stains on the ground nearby. What made him think he could just walk up to that dragon and just run away? THIS IS THE SUCCESSOR TO DEMON'S SOULS, FOOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#11 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well, considering it was a demo, the bloodstains and messages were probably just there for show. On the other hand, he never had his shield up and never locked on. Lol. Noob.

#12 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

So it got a 9/10 from IGN, stating that the game is not for the timid. I really, really, REALLY want this game.

Will probably pick it on release day if I have enough cash by then.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#13 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

The game might be a little extreme for the faint of heart. Hearing tales of death after death after death in some cases. Looking forward to it, but I'm putting my money on Batman + AC:R. Eventually I'd like to pick this one up as well, though.

147.png

#14 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:10 PM

Whenever I feel like some of my games are no longer enjoyable, I'll try to accumulate enough money to reach up to Dark Souls' price tag. The environments that I have seen look a lot more varied and the bonfire system seems like a great idea, with both pros and cons. Really can't wait to get this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#15 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Well, my dad was kind enough to help a brotha out and sent me Dark Souls for my birthday :>

Not very far into it so far due to prior obligations getting in the way, but I quite enjoy it.

The combat is surprisingly robust when I expected a bit more of a hack and slash variety game for whatever reason. I'm only one real boss down, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things you're able to do in the game. Luckily the beginning eases in the n00bs like me really gently, but by now I feel like a pro thanks to my many deaths at the hands of the first evil boss that isn't a tutorial boss.

That giant bird still creeps the piss out of me.

Started off as a warrior named Ragnarok (because why not) and thanks to D's goading to push me into a graveyard of death to see if this one peculiar exploit worked on the xbox, I have me a massive sword I can only use with two hands. I tend to stick to my longsword, however >_> I almost went for a spear, but it was the same thing as my longsword and I didn't wanna drop souls on it.

I'm really enjoying myself so far, and even though I've died a few stupid times (*shakes fist at cliffs and moving forward while attacking*) it hasn't even come close to frustration yet. I'm just having fun.

The best part of the game is that even those it's so desolate and quiet at times, you never feel alone in the game. Constantly there are spectres of other players sitting around bonfires or running up and climbing a ladder that make you feel others are going through it with you. The messages people leave behind are also amazing, and they've saved my behind a few times without a doubt as well as helping me defeat the first boss.

Not to mention the bloodstains other players leave behind are awesome to interact with and watch people flail around miserably until they succumb to their fate against bad enemies. It warms my heart, really.

I'm in love with this game. While it isn't very difficult at all yet (even the first boss felt like a tiny bit of a let down when he fell for some reason) there have been some awesome moments that I've loved.

I turned the corner after finally figuring out where to go to see a three foot rat standing there inspecting a corpse. I freaked out and pulled out my zwiehander and timed my attack to hit him just in range before he knew i was there.

crossing a bridge and i heard the wings of something flat. Instantly I remembered the soap sign i read saying to watch out for the dragon. I dove backwards as a dragon swooped over the bridge and incinerated everything in front of me. I barely survived with a small chunk of health, laughing hysterically from the sheer awesome of it.

The game itself is fun. The experience of playing it is unlike anything I have ever played.

147.png

#16 Xylox

Xylox

Page

• Page
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

I love this game so much. It's a lot harder compared to Demon's Souls but that's what makes it a better game. The enemies hurt a lot more, and healing is limited now. I'm already halfway through the game and I can't stop playing it.

#17 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

Probably close to 9/10 hours in now and I really dunno where to go XD I've explored a lot and defeated a lot of crazy enemies. I know first playthrough isn't supposed to be too crazy and I'm still early game, so says the Denver, so I can't really complain too much.

Everything is pretty manageable and fair so far. Glad I bought me a ranged weapon and an asston of arrows, that's for sure.

I'm really enjoying the game, and the feeling of success for defeating bosses is beginning to come. Especially after I took down that damn butterfly with a small sliver of health remaining and no flasks left. It was satisfying.

Until I descended the tower and got murdered by the stone soldier I ran past on my way to fight the bug with 5 flasks on me. *shakes head*...

D: found my first horrifying boss.

Edited by Valor, 06 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

147.png

#18 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

I downloaded a title update and they changed so much stuff already.

I recovered my souls from where I instantly died from my transition from easy mode batman/ass creed back to evil lizard men.

KNOW WHAT IT SAID?

RETRIEVAL.

Dark Souls, you can't take away my Engrish. I loved seeing YOU DEFEATED when you beat a monster. UGHHHHH Now it's gonna be something lame like

YOU TOTALLY WON YAY

*sighs*

Also my previous 250 soul lizardmen gave me 500 a piece. -_-

147.png

#19 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

I downloaded a title update and they changed so much stuff already.

I recovered my souls from where I instantly died from my transition from easy mode batman/ass creed back to evil lizard men.

KNOW WHAT IT SAID?

RETRIEVAL.

Dark Souls, you can't take away my Engrish. I loved seeing YOU DEFEATED when you beat a monster. UGHHHHH Now it's gonna be something lame like

YOU TOTALLY WON YAY

I found this funny. I remember being irked by the horrible english and the subtext on the "You Defeated" and the "You Regained Lost Soul" screens in Demon's Souls. It just seemed so cheesy and unprofessional lol

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#20 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Even so, it was part of the game's charm! Now it feels so... so... americanized...

147.png