#1 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Apparently, GameInformer has many sources that confirm Nintendo will unveil its next home console at E3. Sources also indicate that it will run in HD, and that it will likely outperform the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

When asked, Nintendo replied with their signature "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation."

GameInformer article

Thoughts?

#2 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

IGN has said the same thing. I hope it's true. Would totally love to see Mario in stunning 1080p HD.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#3 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:54 PM

Would totally love to see Mario in stunning 1080p HD.

I'm sorry but this is one of the most laughable sentences I have read in the past year.

147.png

#4 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

I would not be looking forward to seeing a high-definition, realistically-rendered fat plumber in a red jumpsuit jumping around through levels and dropping his fat plumber hiney onto little, equally well-rendered, enemies for eight worlds. I'll pass on that, thanks.

I would like to see a new Nintendo gaming console that's actually for, you know, gaming, but that would require that they make some new IP's, since most of their current ones would either look horrendous in hyper-realistic graphics (Mario, Kirby *shudders*, Donkey Kong, etc), and any games from said series that they make would not take the full advantage of this system which would supposedly best both PS3 and 360 (which is not anything unfathomable, considering the PS3 [younger] is now over 4 years old). While I could see Zelda taking advantage of it, we've already seen that the Wii has good enough graphical quality for that series thanks to Twilight Princess, so this move makes little sense to me.

I dunno, I'm not personally thrilled about this until some concrete evidence is shown that it's actually happening. As of now, it sounds like (assuming it's true) Nintendo is just trying to make more money, despite still leading in console sales in this generation. Illogical move.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#5 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:09 PM

Hope you caught the sarcasm ;D

But seriously, while a "Wii HD" sounds nice, outperforming the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphical power is not necessary, especially since the Wii already outperforms both in worldwide sales. Nintendo has already proven that they can create innovative games on the Wii anyway. SMG2 was gorgeous.

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system

#6 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

While I could see Zelda taking advantage of it, we've already seen that the Wii has good enough graphical quality for that series thanks to Twilight Princess, so this move makes little sense to me.

Twilight Princess for the Wii was actually just a simple port of the GameCube version, and thus had GameCube-level graphics.

#7 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

SMG2 was gorgeous.

Yes it was. It is absolutely fantastic.

Twilight Princess for the Wii was actually just a simple port of the GameCube version, and thus had GameCube-level graphics.

That was my point. The Nintendo-brand titles do not need a better graphical output. Very few games on the Wii even attempt to push the graphical boundaries of the system, anyway, so increasing those would be silly.

a5g7ld.gif

#8 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

That was my point. The Nintendo-brand titles do not need a better graphical output. Very few games on the Wii even attempt to push the graphical boundaries of the system, anyway, so increasing those would be silly.

I'm sorry, but I do not see your point. If it were a Wii game designed for the Wii that had GameCube-level graphics, I would understand. But Nintendo just ported a GameCube game to the Wii very quickly so that they would have a killer app for the Wii's release. I don't think it would have even been feasible to develop a whole new graphics engine in that time. So saying that Twilight Princess shows that the Legend of Zelda's graphics are "good enough" doesn't make sense to me.

However, I do think that the Legend of Zelda games do not call for a realistic style at all. In my opinion, it is much more suited to Wind Waker's style, or even that of Skyward Sword.

#9 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

However, I do think that the Legend of Zelda games do not call for a realistic style at all. In my opinion, it is much more suited to Wind Waker's style, or even that of Skyward Sword.

I guess you got to the heart of what I was saying better than I could have. I was just saying that the graphics seen in Twilight Princess are about as realistic as I can ever see the graphics for Zelda needing to be. If you go to a level of realism like Mass Effect or the upcoming LA Noire, you'll lose the lighthearted tone that the series is supposed to have. I suppose making another darker title like TP would warrant such graphical choices again, but, like Kingdom Hearts, I am really, really hesitant to be excited to see the graphical style change to be more along the lines of modern titles.

I completely agree on the point you made. I much prefer the whimsical feel of the Zelda games, but I think Twilight Princess' style and graphics were perfect for that particular installment in the series.

ANYWAY. Seriously, I don't see why Nintendo wants to make a new system with increased graphics when their current one sells better than the other two consoles that share a generation when Nintendo-developed games do not require better graphics to be enjoyable.

a5g7ld.gif

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:44 PM

Hope you caught the sarcasm ;D

Definitely did. It was much appreciated :D I was really really hoping you weren't serious XP

But seriously, while a "Wii HD" sounds nice, outperforming the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphical power is not necessary, especially since the Wii already outperforms both in worldwide sales. Nintendo has already proven that they can create innovative games on the Wii anyway. SMG2 was gorgeous.

Wii honestly cannot compete with the ps360. HD graphics aside, the online still requires FRIEND CODES. Seriously! FRIEND CODES. THIS is what they sorely need to address so that we can get some honest to god multiplayer Wii going on over the interwebs. Graphics are one thing, and to me they're sofine, but the multiplayer support is stuck in the dark ages.

I'm sorry, but I do not see your point. If it were a Wii game designed for the Wii that had GameCube-level graphics, I would understand. But Nintendo just ported a GameCube game to the Wii very quickly so that they would have a killer app for the Wii's release. I don't think it would have even been feasible to develop a whole new graphics engine in that time. So saying that Twilight Princess shows that the Legend of Zelda's graphics are "good enough" doesn't make sense to me.

Twilight Princess is still a damn impressive looking game. I haven't seen what the Gamecube version looks like, but if it's identical then that means it's one of the best looking gamecube games made. I don't think it having gamecube level graphics was a detriment to the game at all, but then again I'm not a gigantic graphics junkie.

I do agree with Wind Waker's style being great, but I loved the hell out of Twilight Princess' look and really hppe they put something else in that vein. I really love how Skyword Sword looks right now though. It had that adult look I really loved about TP while still not taking itself TOO seriously. To me it's the perfect type of graphic style for adult link.

Oh, one final point:

How would it work? They still have Skyward Sword coming out for the Wii and they should damn well know the casual gamers who bought a Wii ain't gonna be upgrading unless it's either super cheap or their current Wii shit works with the new machine. I dunno. This is gonna be interesting.

147.png

#11 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Twilight Princess is still a damn impressive looking game. I haven't seen what the Gamecube version looks like, but if it's identical then that means it's one of the best looking gamecube games made. I don't think it having gamecube level graphics was a detriment to the game at all, but then again I'm not a gigantic graphics junkie.

Oh, that wasn't my point at all. I just didn't understand when Iggy said that the Wii has good enough graphical quality for the series, implying that Twilight Princess' graphics are as good as they should be for the series. If there is another "realistic" Legend of Zelda game, I actually think it could look better than Twilight Princess and still manage to suit the series. However, as I said, I think the series is generally better suited for a more whimsical style.

And I do believe the two versions are identical, the only difference being that the Wii version is reflected horizontally. If there is any difference, it is minimal.

#12 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

How would it work? They still have Skyward Sword coming out for the Wii and they should damn well know the casual gamers who bought a Wii ain't gonna be upgrading unless it's either super cheap or their current Wii shit works with the new machine. I dunno. This is gonna be interesting.

It's being said that the new console will be backwards compatible with Wii titles.

Oh wait.....

#13 Secret Felix

Secret Felix

Knight

• Knight
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:01 AM

Am I going to need even more wiimote dongles? I can''t afford to upgrade all the ones I have as it is. I think we have....six between two systems. Ugh. I'm not looking forward to this at all, really, if it's just something akin to the DSlite-->DSi upgrade.
Posted Image

#14 Shino

Shino

Ex-Admin

• Paladin
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

Source: Nintendo's Wii Could Offer High Definition Gaming

If this is true and is shown at E3 I will try and get it when it comes out. HD Wii Graphics with Blu-Ray, backwards compatibility and exclusive customizable apps? YES. Now all they'll need is games that can compete with Microsoft and Sony and they'll dominate the market completely.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edited by Shino, 16 April 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#15 Secret Felix

Secret Felix

Knight

• Knight
  • 823 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:38 PM

http://www.joystiq.c...successor-2012/

So it looks like it's official now.
Posted Image

#16 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

Wonder how everyone will work with the new graphics. And will there be more hardcore games?

Edited by Kingroy, 26 April 2011 - 06:39 PM.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#17 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

Sources now confirm to IGN the new Nintendo controller allows players to stream entire games to the device from the console, saying it's like a miniature television. The screen size on the controller is also confirmed to be six inches in size.

Article found here.

Hm. Interesting? Yeah, a little.

Look at the concept art here.

What do you guys think about another virtual handheld, what with the 3DS just released and all? This looks more of a competitor to the NGP than the PS3 or 360.

Edited by Dion, 26 April 2011 - 07:05 PM.

#18 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:29 PM

Article found here.

Hm. Interesting? Yeah, a little.

Look at the concept art here.

What do you guys think about another virtual handheld, what with the 3DS just released and all? This looks more of a competitor to the NGP than the PS3 or 360.

I don't see it as a handheld, since it's definitely a controller for the system. It's more like a way to incorporate touch screen gaming to a console, and it sounds kind of fascinating. I would think of it like the bottom screen of a DS. I'm intrigued to see it in action, but it screams gimmick to me right now.

147.png

#19 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

You should read your own quoted text... "the new Nintendo controller" is stated. I'm not enthused for this much at all. I don't see the purpose of having a console system which is played solely on the controller... What's the point of even having a television hooked up to the console? What's the purpose of the console at all?

Seems like Nintendo found the next big gimmick to add into console gaming. First we had vibration. Then we moved on to motion control. Now we're on to touch screen gaming. It feels more like a step back than a step forward to me.

a5g7ld.gif

#20 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 07 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

You should read your own quoted text... "the new Nintendo controller" is stated. I'm not enthused for this much at all. I don't see the purpose of having a console system which is played solely on the controller... What's the point of even having a television hooked up to the console? What's the purpose of the console at all?

Seems like Nintendo found the next big gimmick to add into console gaming. First we had vibration. Then we moved on to motion control. Now we're on to touch screen gaming. It feels more like a step back than a step forward to me.

I somewhat agree with this. But... I think of it this way. If they show the whole screen on the controller. Depending on the size, you could actually play the 'Wii2' without a TV right? If it's just a touch screen and acts like the bottom of a DS then ehh It's just another gimmick. One that I honestly don't see doing well. I really don't see Nintendo doing as good with this as they did with the Wii. In two years, PS4 and Xbox 720/whatever, will be far stronger then it. Unless Nintendo plans on never releasing with those two and just keep pushing out theirs faster then Microsoft or Sony.. I don't see it doing well. And.. people want a console that will last a few years. Nintendo making new ones every 4/5 years compared to the others making them every 6/7, In 15 years time you'll have bought 3 Nintendo Consoles and maybe 2 Sony/Microsoft. It's only one more, but that's 400-500 dollars that could have went to 10 games or even something else. Just seems liek a bad move to me.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png