Photo
- - - - -

Roadside Picnic (A Roleplay Interest Check)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaoru-Koala

Kaoru-Koala

Page

• Page
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

Out Of Place Artifacts.

A lot of you may not be aware of this concept, but here it is in short: An out-of-place artifact is an item that is foreign from the place and time at which it is found. It would be like a caveman finding a gun at 1,000,000 B.C., or finding a ruined jet engine in the middle ages. The concept has been used in fiction in sci-fi and fantasy stories; in particular, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's short story Roadside Picnic and its derivative works (Stalker, a film based on the story, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., a computer game series based on it, all surrounding a wasteland filled with such artifacts around Chernobyl) and my favorite Manga series 666 Satan (also known as O-Parts Hunter in the U.S.).

Introducing this concept, I was thinking about possibly making a roleplay about Out-of-place Artifacts, either using a Modern/Post-Apocalypse Sci-fi setting, ala' Roadside Picnic, Stalker, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or a more fantasy/shonen action adventure style setting, ala' 666 Satan/O-Parts Hunter.

The essence of either of these kinds of stories is people fighting each other to find these strange artifacts to sell them for their own greed or survival, and the people searching to find them, fighting off the other sides for a chance to research them and find the origins of these strange materials. It's like a big macguffin chase where the macguffins in question may or may not be useful and/or valuable for multiple reasons, and for each reason, there is a group to try and take the macguffins for their own.

Any thoughts or interest in this?

Edited by Kaoru-Koala, 06 June 2011 - 10:47 AM.

Posted Image

#2 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

I'm interested in this idea! Personally, I think that the fantasy time period with modern day out-of-place artifacts would be a better idea, rather than the other. It would be much easier to find things and since the people wouldn't know how to use it, there could be some funny interpretations on what some items are.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#3 Kaoru-Koala

Kaoru-Koala

Page

• Page
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'm interested in this idea! Personally, I think that the fantasy time period with modern day out-of-place artifacts would be a better idea, rather than the other. It would be much easier to find things and since the people wouldn't know how to use it, there could be some funny interpretations on what some items are.

Well, how Roadside Picnic/Stalker/STALKER does it is that the O-Parts aren't easily identifiable. They're like these stones or things made of random materials that serve weird purposes... Like one is a stone you can put in a non-functional automobile to make it work again without gas. Another is two rings of indeterminate origin that hover over each other at a constant 6 inches from each other and I think was used as an infinite storage device.

Basically, taking technology to almost hyper-advanced alien levels.
Posted Image

#4 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

This sounds awesome :o. But how will this work? Will you send out some message in the RP that says which artifacts have been spotted and then people choose which ones they go after? Or do we berserk and radomly say "OH LOOK, AN ARTIFACT UP ON THAT TREE! AND LOOK, ANOTHER ONE AT THE BOTTOM!" :/

An I'm a little confused, what type of time period are we going to be in and what state will the world be in? Is it going to be that the world is ruined and it's now just survival of the fittest, or is the world fine and dandy but the dark side of the world secretly try and grab these items?

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#5 Kaoru-Koala

Kaoru-Koala

Page

• Page
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

This sounds awesome :o. But how will this work? Will you send out some message in the RP that says which artifacts have been spotted and then people choose which ones they go after? Or do we berserk and radomly say "OH LOOK, AN ARTIFACT UP ON THAT TREE! AND LOOK, ANOTHER ONE AT THE BOTTOM!" :/

An I'm a little confused, what type of time period are we going to be in and what state will the world be in? Is it going to be that the world is ruined and it's now just survival of the fittest, or is the world fine and dandy but the dark side of the world secretly try and grab these items?

Well, the way that I do RPs is that I normally play the guiding NPC roles and sometimes enemies, like a Dungeon Master in D&D. In this case, probably the leaders of the different groups, to lead the players toward conflict over an artifact.

As for the setting, that's all up to whoever is interested. If more people want a real time period with odd artifacts, we could do that. If more people want a chaotic world in ruin with these artifacts, we could do that. If more people want a more Shonen Action-Adventure take, that's fine, too. Just whichever people want most. I'm fine with any of them.
Posted Image

#6 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

Well, the way that I do RPs is that I normally play the guiding NPC roles and sometimes enemies, like a Dungeon Master in D&D. In this case, probably the leaders of the different groups, to lead the players toward conflict over an artifact.

As for the setting, that's all up to whoever is interested. If more people want a real time period with odd artifacts, we could do that. If more people want a chaotic world in ruin with these artifacts, we could do that. If more people want a more Shonen Action-Adventure take, that's fine, too. Just whichever people want most. I'm fine with any of them.

Ah, that answered my question. By the way, I'm awesome with any time period but I'd prefer a Shonen Action-Adventure time period or a real time period ^^. Fantasy stuff might sound fun, but then it might be more epic with real time things being powered up and having whatever done to them with the artifacts.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one