#1 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

So... I have to take a lot of pills now. Way too many in fact.

I'm currently taking...

Pain Meds:

Gabapentin - 1 pill every 8 hours, 3 max.
Dilaudid - 1 pill every 4 hours, 6 max.

Naseua meds:

Zofran - 1 pill every 8 hours, 3 max.
Compazine - 1 pill every 6 hours, 4 max.
Phenergan - 1 pill every 6 hours. 4 max.

Digestive/Bowl meds:

Prevacid - one pill in morning, one at night.
Senna - 2 pills at bed.
Zenpep - 2 pills with each meal.
Miralax - Once a day.
Colace - Twice a day.
Bisacodyl - One a Day if needed.

Misc.:

Hydrocortisone - 1.5 in morning 1 at night.
Ergocalciferol - once a week.
Benadryl - 1 pill every 8 hours, 3 max.

37 total pills I have to take each day. I have to take insulin shots at least 4-5 times a day if not more. The Miralax I have to mix with a drink and take it. The Bisacodyl is a suppository. I'm probably forgetting a few things since this is all off the top of my head. But here comes my problem...

I have trouble with taking pills. It always takes me awhile to take them. And when I do, I have to drink a full bottle of water or more. Which ends up causing me a lot of bloating and pain. So I was wondering if you all knew any 'secrets' as to how to take pills easily or even take them without needing a drink. Since it's getting hard to keep taking these.

Another problem I have, I space them out nicely. I don't do them all at once in the morning. I use a stacking system or so for the Nausea medicine. Same with Pain. Take the 8 hour med then 4 hours later take 6 hour pill. Pain meds I try to not take both at the same time but I feel I will have to. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't take them together sicne I get really tired and weak if I do. I'm not sure if I should ask my doctor to change the strength of the 4 hour and get rid of the 8 hour to help me out that way. I'm sort of at a lose and just wondered what KG might think I should do. I hate nearly falling asleep all day because of my meds making me tired. At least 4 of them say they can make you drowsy and I have to really take them... so I'm always down and have no energy... I didn't know if I should maybe try drinking coffee with taking the pills as well. I'm really just in need of something that can help me stay awake and have energy during the day and early evening. Any help would be nice on this, especially with how to take the pills more easily. I can't crush any of them by the way. Almost all of them come in delayed or rapid release capsules... I would have tried that already if I could have...

I know this is a long rant and probably pointless to you guys, but I thought I might post it and see what all I might get back in a response. As you can see my life isn't really too easy with having to do all of these things and watching them so closely... not to mention a lot of these meds will raise my blood sugar and thats causing me to stay in the 500's. 100 is a normal level. 500 is toxic and deadly to my body. It will kill me sooner or later if I can't control it...

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#2 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

When you give dogs medicine, the dog generally must not know they are taking medicine. Put it in some cheese and the swallow it all.

It seems if you try to same concept it may become easier. I for one, can swallow my medication without water most of the time. Just collect as much saliva in your mouth as you can and ignoring the pill's existence swallow. 9/10 times it goes down for me. If it doesn't I simply get some drinkable liquid and do the same thing in the absence of the saliva. Just try not to focus on the pill. I hope that helps.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

I've tried the cheese technique once before and ended up throwing up a few seconds later. So that's out of the question...

I really can't do the saliva only thing. I suffer from dry mouth as is and can't really produce a lot, along with the fact of the having high blood sugar my mouth just constantly stays dry no matter what.

Not really sure what I can try to make it easier to get them down. I was told to try some drink I like a lot. But I dont see how that would help. A friend of mine said to try drinking V8 with the pills since it's pretty thick, my mind would just think of it as a piece of a vegetable soup or something and let it slide down easily without closing up and gagging on it.

Thanks for the suggestions and showing you care. It's very much appreciated. =3

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've tried the cheese technique once before and ended up throwing up a few seconds later. So that's out of the question...

I really can't do the saliva only thing. I suffer from dry mouth as is and can't really produce a lot, along with the fact of the having high blood sugar my mouth just constantly stays dry no matter what.

Not really sure what I can try to make it easier to get them down. I was told to try some drink I like a lot. But I dont see how that would help. A friend of mine said to try drinking V8 with the pills since it's pretty thick, my mind would just think of it as a piece of a vegetable soup or something and let it slide down easily without closing up and gagging on it.

Thanks for the suggestions and showing you care. It's very much appreciated. =3

Yeah, don't do cheese, I do not find that a good idea for humans.

But do take a food that you have to chew and you like. Chew it a bit, put the pill in, and swallow. That might work for a dry mouth such as yours. But yeah, remember, the pill is a lie. That's step one.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#5 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

Dosages please? Also, make sure to drink as little water as possible. Drink lots of Gatorade. Steroids make you retain water and deplete your electrolytes. If you're in the hospital, you should be able to get the Zofran in liquid form. For me it helps to take pills with ice cream or oatmeal. Something semisolid like that.

#6 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Dosages please? Also, make sure to drink as little water as possible. Drink lots of Gatorade. Steroids make you retain water and deplete your electrolytes. If you're in the hospital, you should be able to get the Zofran in liquid form. For me it helps to take pills with ice cream or oatmeal. Something semisolid like that.

Why do the dosages even matter...?
I'll pipe in as well that you have to recall that he has diabetes. Sugar and carb drinks are a HUGE no. They are quite quickly absorbed and spike blood sugars. Some of his medicines already affect his blood sugar, making managing the diabetes and keeping a healthy blood sugar considerably difficult.
I'm not sure if all steroids have the same effects, so... If it makes any difference, his is only to provide cortisone that his body is not making. :/

He's no longer in the hospital, by the way. He's home now.
Sadly, things have been much more difficult since he's been home.... All medicines but one are PO, and most everything is in pill form for one reason or another. Besides that, things just been weird.... We cannot figure out what's up with the near-constant high blood sugars. :/ When he finally drops, he plummets, then he's back at highs... ):
The tiredness wasn't this bad, either....

Posted Image

#7 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Yea, my blood sugars have been crazy stupid high lately as well. I don't think anyone can help me here with that so I didn't bring it up on things I asked for help with.

I'm constantly running 400's-500's and even going into the meter reading it as "High". They said that I shouldn't have more then a level of 250 really. If I ever hit 500's, if I don't bring them down within two hours I'm suppose to go to the hospital. I've been over 500 for... well... a few days now. I hit a low today of something like a 30-40. But yea... I'm pretty messed up right now but I have to get these medicines down or I will end up right back in the hospital.

My insurance really isn't going to cover me going back into the hospital again... so I need to get this shit fixed...

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#8 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

We're all rooting for you buddy! Be healthy, we all want you here!

Edited by Lexaeus, 12 January 2012 - 02:05 AM.

Zanca327.png

#9 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:09 AM

I'm curious, since these are conditions you will be fighting for quite a while, what do you want to do for a career and how does this all affect that?

Yea, see, thats the problem as of right now. If I can't ever get this under control and things stay the way they are, I'll have to get another surgery which no doctor wants to do at all. It's very risky and can cause more damage or even death if they go in again.

I want a job in computers, making and building them, creating software, etc. Can't go for schooling with all this at all either not to mention all of this is costing my family money, which we aren't really doing too great on at all. So all of these conditions are really crippling my way of life and making me not able to do anything normal for a 20 year old.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#10 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Yea, see, thats the problem as of right now. If I can't ever get this under control and things stay the way they are, I'll have to get another surgery which no doctor wants to do at all. It's very risky and can cause more damage or even death if they go in again.

I want a job in computers, making and building them, creating software, etc. Can't go for schooling with all this at all either not to mention all of this is costing my family money, which we aren't really doing too great on at all. So all of these conditions are really crippling my way of life and making me not able to do anything normal for a 20 year old.

If you ever want some materials to start the basics of computer science or computer engineering I can supply what I went through. Not sure if you have the time or already working on something else. But I mean, I'm always looking for ways to help you. I'm sure people do the same for me if I shared a similar situation.

Zanca327.png