#1 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:06 AM

Yea, I've been having trouble with sleep. I'll lay down but I wont fall asleep for over an hour. My mind just doesn't want to stop moving a mile a minute. Anyone have any tips for relaxing my body enough for it to fall asleep? I thought about a sleep aid, but do they really work? And would you guys know of any good ones? Didn't know if you guys have tried any pills and had them work for you at all.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#2 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

The bad thing about taking sleeping pills if your body is continually being unable to rest on its own is that you become dependent on them. It might seem like, "Yeah, but I'm never sleeping anyway." However, if your body is just going through a rough time (and you've had a very rough time and still aren't clear of all of the "fun" stuff yet),... I don't know. When your body would finally be able to rest on its own, that will no longer happen. I don't know how long it actually takes for the body to become dependent on a sleep medicine, though, and everyone is different. My mother has never liked taking sleep medicines much for this reason.
If anything, trying more natural sleep aids first. Foods or drinks especially, for example, that promote sleep. There are also things like aromatherapy candles, incense, bath products, et cetera or for some, certain music, and other things that you could try to stimulate the body in a way that prepares it for sleep. You should also make sure that you have a good setting for sleeping. If you really need or want more than this, I'd suggest talking to your doctor first.

I actually can coax or force myself into sleep, but... :X

Posted Image

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Yea, I worry on that. I don't want to become dependent on a sleeping pill to actually get some sleep. I want to try natural remedies first before anything. Glass of milk before bed, herbal teas, anything really. I have enough problems as it is, dont need to be reliant on a pill to get sleep...

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

I actually saw or read something regarding milk as a sleep remedy just a short while ago. According to the information, the tryptophan in milk isn't the same as what you find in turkey. It occurs differently, and supposedly it doesn't help in the production of serotonin at all. You can try it anyway, but that's just a head's up.
A few years back when I was looking for natural remedies because of my body not resting when I slept, the one thing that would always come up from my doctor was chamomile tea. I'm not sure what other similar teas that there are, but chamomile tea namely is supposed to be very relaxing for your body. I can't recall if you said before that you don't like it, though. |:
I've never tried searching "tryptophan," "serotonin," or "natural sleep remedies," but hopefully any such searches might have some good results/information.

Posted Image

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

Why would you want to add even more medication to your diet? Put yourself in a relaxed state. If you go to bed after, for example, spending the last few hours on the computer or playing a game it'll be harder to sleep. Try reading or exercising before bed to tire your body out before sleep.

#6 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I actually saw or read something regarding milk as a sleep remedy just a short while ago. According to the information, the tryptophan in milk isn't the same as what you find in turkey. It occurs differently, and supposedly it doesn't help in the production of serotonin at all. You can try it anyway, but that's just a head's up.

Really? That's quite strange. Whenever I decide to have cold milk just before going to bed, I get knocked out flat. I know because in the morning there's still some milk in the cup when I planned to drink it all. So I stopped doing that. >__>;

2j87ib.jpg

#7 Epic

Epic

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,196 posts
  • I'M BACK BITCHES

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

It always helps me to meditate before I go to bed. Helps me relax and slows my mind down to the point where I can get some sleep.

Meditation also helps me sleep well and feel rested in the morning. It's great stuff.

hitchens-1949-2011-by-Gasper-Tringale.jp

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. I promise."

- Christopher Hitchens

#8 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Why would you want to add even more medication to your diet? Put yourself in a relaxed state. If you go to bed after, for example, spending the last few hours on the computer or playing a game it'll be harder to sleep. Try reading or exercising before bed to tire your body out before sleep.

Yea, I know more meds are bad... but I think my sleeping is a bit worse then worrying of another pill. I'm on a current... I don't know what to call it but I haven't really slept in a long time. Last I remember sleeping a lot was Thursday. For like 5 straight hours at one point. But other then that my time spend being awake or trying to sleep outweighs the actual time I've slept. Probably have 10 hours in three days? 30 minutes here, an hour there... *sigh* It's just pretty terrible and I've tried a lot of things to get my body tired and mind tired but they just wont sleep. Even if they are at their limit.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png