• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

So I didn't get selected for this one scholarship I was heavily reliant on getting. Unfortunately, I didn't apply for any other scholarships for college (because I am retarded). Anyway, I have relatively low EFC (1500 range) and I was wondering if you guys could answer this question: If I were to attend a school (in state) that cost 9k a year for tuition and 19k for tuition plus room and board, how much of that would I be able to pay off with Financial Aid? I'm hoping the entirety of the 9k can be paid off so I don't have to worry about anything and just live in state (home). What do you guys think?

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

You should be able to cover all of that with financial aid, I'd imagine. Or at least a massive chunk of it.

147.png

#3 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

The 19k or the 9k itself? I want to be able to pay off the 19k, since I get to get away from home. :I But at this point, anything is welcome.

1.5k :3

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#4 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think fafsa might give you like 8 grand in loans and grants, more or less.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Pretty sure I get about 10 a semester

147.png

#6 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Pretty sure I get about 10 a semester

If you don't mind me asking, what is your EFC?

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#7 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I'm an independent, so I get a bit more help, I suppose

147.png

#8 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

So I suppose that means things aren't looking too good for me right now, huh.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#9 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

So I suppose that means things aren't looking too good for me right now, huh.

Not so much.

#10 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

If you're EFC is $1,500, you'll get a chunk load of aid. Since the tuition with room and board is 19,000, you'll most likely get around 17.5k.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#11 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

If you're EFC is $1,500, you'll get a chunk load of aid. Since the tuition with room and board is 19,000, you'll most likely get around 17.5k.

what. The main federal grant is the pell grant and that has a max limit of $5,500 and even if you add the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant with its max of $4,000, everything else is basically a loan that you'll have to pay back.

You could try to get the tax credits though. Basically an amount of money is shaved off from your (or your parents') taxes - I'm assuming only the federal income tax but not really sure - so you have more money on hand. (Obama's) American opportunity tax credit has a maximum of $2,500, provided you do 100+ hours of community service (or have already done so, I think); also the Lifetime learning credit has a max of $2,000. There's also the Hope tax credit with a max of $1,500 but you can have only Hope of the Lifetime tax credit. One of these tax credit programs allows you to use the saved money for school supplies - books, computers, etc.

There may still be local scholarships too.

Edited by Waker, 10 March 2012 - 04:29 AM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord