• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Here are just some bullet points that I listed on a separate piece of paper for an RP idea I had. It is subject to change.
FACTIONS
- Four main factions
-Pyromancers
-Specializers in magic based around flame, which was created by Pyrron, Lord of Flame.
-Necromancers
-Members of this faction use magic based around death and corruption, manifested by Periyah, Lord of Death.
-Clergy
-Members of the Clergy use miracles based around light and protection, spread by Mymphus, Lord of Light.
-Sorcerers
-Magic user who utilizes kinetic energy to produce pure energy, discovered by Kalus, later known as the Lord of Energy.
-There are smaller factions within these main factions.

BASIC STORY
-The three brands were created long ago by gods of a distant age. Some believe they protect us from above, while others believe they walk among us.
-Pyromancy, Necromancy, and Miracles were all made long ago, while Sorceries were made much later.
-Members of the Clergy believed that the art of Sorcery was fake and unnatural, while they believed that Necromancy and Pyromancy are abominations.
-Sorcerers wish to prove themselves to the world.
-Pyromancers and Necromancers hate the Clergy and wish to see them destroyed.
-Pyromancers have already been at war for years, due to the pyromancers supposedly stealing an artifact belonging to the necromancers: The Orb of the Dead.
-For the RP to end, one of these endings must take place.
-Diplomacy: Stop the conflict between all of the factions.
-Military: Kill the human incarnation of another faction's god.
-Extermination: Kill all of the members of one faction (does not include NPCs).

BRANDING
-Brands are what give people the power to perform Pyromancy, Necromancy, Sorcery, and Miracles.
-Brands are granted through three different means.
-Inheritance
-When a child is born, the child receives a copy of the father's brand.
-Weakest type of brand.
-Favor of the Gods
-After a specific event is performed, a god may or may not be interested in giving you their brand.
-Events
-Specific events in the story that will be told before they are put into effect.
-If an event or favor of the gods is completed by a person who is of the same faction, they will receive another, more powerful spell to use.
-No human being can have more than one brand. Otherwise, they burst into flames and suffer eternal agony.
-Previous brand is overwritten by the new brand.

Edited by qster, 05 October 2012 - 09:18 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

so basically everyone is a mage lumped into one of four classes?

147.png

#3 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Questions.

-Pyromancy, Necromancy, and Miracles were all made long ago, while Sorceries were made much later.
-Members of the Clergy believed that the art of Sorcery was fake and unnatural, while they believed that Necromancy and Pyromancy are abominations.
-Sorcerers wish to prove themselves to the world.
-Pyromancers and Necromancers hate the Clergy and wish to see them destroyed.

So what makes Pyro/Necro special/different from one another besides the magic they can use? Sorcerers have a goal, Clergy have a goal, and then Pyro/Necro work together against Clergy, I guess? Clergy's screwed, then.

-If an event or favor of the gods is completed by a person who is of the same faction, they will receive another, more powerful spell to use.
-I will determine the initial faction a person is a part of, which will serve as an inheritance brand.
-No human being can have more than one brand. Otherwise, they burst into flames and suffer eternal agony.

So these gods are assumed to actually be a thing. We can only get new spells by doing arbitrary things which may or may not please the gods?

YOU determine what faction MY character will be in to start? :\ Why? Why can't I decide which faction my character is born to? Bluh bluh bluh.

And the last bit basically means... If I'm reading this right... Say I REALLY wanted to have miracles. And you decided I'm a Necromancer. If ever I want to be Clergy now, my character would just burst into flames? Because I'm not allowed to be who I want to be?

I also don't really see where the plot's going. Can you elaborate on that?

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#4 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

so basically everyone is a mage lumped into one of four classes?

Yes, because I listed that there are NO OTHER WEAPONS ALLOWED! Now, imagine I said that. Sad thing is that I didn't, so they are not mages. You can be whatever you want. You don't even have to use your brand, if you so desire. It's a mechanic I thought was a good idea and it does not mean it will be the only thing in your arsenal.

So what makes Pyro/Necro special/different from one another besides the magic they can use? Sorcerers have a goal, Clergy have a goal, and then Pyro/Necro work together against Clergy, I guess? Clergy's screwed, then.

I've been thinking on this, since it didn't seem fair initially to me either. Still working on the basic plot and I'm working on a plot device that will turn them against one another.

So these gods are assumed to actually be a thing. We can only get new spells by doing arbitrary things which may or may not please the gods?

Or by completing a certain event, which is what I'm planning alongside this and schoolwork, among other things. It's for balancing purposes so that way new spells are able to be earned and also giving characters something new.

YOU determine what faction MY character will be in to start? :\ Why? Why can't I decide which faction my character is born to? Bluh bluh bluh.

So that way we don't have 5 million necromancers and 1 clergy. It's to keep things balanced. You can try to persuade me if there is a certain faction you want to be aligned with.

And if you aren't happy with your faction, then why don't you complete an event for the faction you wish to align yourself with?

And the last bit basically means... If I'm reading this right... Say I REALLY wanted to have miracles. And you decided I'm a Necromancer. If ever I want to be Clergy now, my character would just burst into flames? Because I'm not allowed to be who I want to be?

Brands override each other. You can't have multiple brands, so if your brand is changed, the former brand is gone.

I also don't really see where the plot's going. Can you elaborate on that?

That is not the final plan for the plot. I'm trying to come up with something better, honestly, since it is very cookie cutter, in my opinion. If you have any ideas, feel free to tell me.

EDIT: In the first post, a couple of things have been revised and added. Feel free to comment.

Edited by qster, 04 October 2012 - 05:34 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#5 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yes, because I listed that there are NO OTHER WEAPONS ALLOWED! Now, imagine I said that. Sad thing is that I didn't, so they are not mages. You can be whatever you want. You don't even have to use your brand, if you so desire. It's a mechanic I thought was a good idea and it does not mean it will be the only thing in your arsenal.

But we wouldn't get to choose what class we are or what spells we start with, so we're sort of still shoehorned into whatever YOU decide we get to be. Icky. I might design a character I intend to be a pyrotechnic spear wielder who breathes fire as his basic pyromancy spell. But then suddenly you decide we need more clergy so instead he's a clergy and now stuck with some spell that wouldn't mesh at ALL with the character I decided that I wanted to make and play as.

I've been thinking on this, since it didn't seem fair initially to me either. Still working on the basic plot and I'm working on a plot device that will turn them against one another.

:\
So this is gonna be primarily PvP-based role-playing? Not sure if like.

So that way we don't have 5 million necromancers and 1 clergy.

That's a really shitty reason. Really shitty. You're letting us create a character with personality, flavor, and all that jazz to him/her and then you could shit all over what was made because whoops another necro will unbalance the factions. Really not liking this.

I understand the sentiment if this is gonna be basically focused around faction v faction pvp combat, but I think it's really shitty that the GM is essentially deciding every character that's in the RP. Because. That's what you're doing by dictating both our class AND what spells we get.

And if you aren't happy with your faction, then why don't you complete an event for the faction you wish to align yourself with?

Because then I would burst into flames and die.

Brands override each other. You can't have multiple brands, so if your brand is changed, the former brand is gone.

Then how would someone ever burst into flames and die.

Also if switching brands this way is allowed, why can't we just choose which one we start with...? If you want to dictate which one we're born with, okay fine, but I think that if it were so simple to switch brands, each character (by the time the story starts, assuming we're not 13-year-olds playing SBURB) could have easily managed to complete an event and joined the faction of his/her choice before the start of the RP...

That is not the final plan for the plot. I'm trying to come up with something better, honestly, since it is very cookie cutter, in my opinion. If you have any ideas, feel free to tell me.

EDIT: In the first post, a couple of things have been revised and added. Feel free to comment.

I really dislike the plot layout. It doesn't sound fun or enjoyable to me. PvP is not fun, since SOMEONE has to lose and NO ONE wants to lose so it'll go on literally forever so long as each side can continuously come up with a cheap way to keep fighting. I'm also not a big fan of deaths of player characters for any reason, really, so there's that big issue there for me, too.

It doesn't feel like it'll get anywhere to me.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#6 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

I love losing.

Can I be the guy?

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#7 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm still a bit sad of the death of HV lol. But I hope someone comes up with a good plot, I'm dying for a good rp with all this free time I have.

a>

#8 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

But we wouldn't get to choose what class we are or what spells we start with, so we're sort of still shoehorned into whatever YOU decide we get to be. Icky. I might design a character I intend to be a pyrotechnic spear wielder who breathes fire as his basic pyromancy spell. But then suddenly you decide we need more clergy so instead he's a clergy and now stuck with some spell that wouldn't mesh at ALL with the character I decided that I wanted to make and play as.
That's a really shitty reason. Really shitty. You're letting us create a character with personality, flavor, and all that jazz to him/her and then you could shit all over what was made because whoops another necro will unbalance the factions. Really not liking this.

Fine, it's changed. Happy?

I understand the sentiment if this is gonna be basically focused around faction v faction pvp combat, but I think it's really shitty that the GM is essentially deciding every character that's in the RP. Because. That's what you're doing by dictating both our class AND what spells we get.
:\

Fine, no events then. It'll be a linear, story driven RP. You all choose your spells and I will not care how OP your spells happen to be.

Because then I would burst into flames and die.
Then how would someone ever burst into flames and die.
It's to keep people from asking "can I be a necromancer and a pyromancer?" That's the only reason it was there in the first place.
Also if switching brands this way is allowed, why can't we just choose which one we start with...? If you want to dictate which one we're born with, okay fine, but I think that if it were so simple to switch brands, each character (by the time the story starts, assuming we're not 13-year-olds playing SBURB) could have easily managed to complete an event and joined the faction of his/her choice before the start of the RP...

I really dislike the plot layout. It doesn't sound fun or enjoyable to me. PvP is not fun, since SOMEONE has to lose and NO ONE wants to lose so it'll go on literally forever so long as each side can continuously come up with a cheap way to keep fighting. I'm also not a big fan of deaths of player characters for any reason, really, so there's that big issue there for me, too.

It doesn't feel like it'll get anywhere to me.

The only other way to make it work is for a co-op-like RP, which I'm honestly a little tired of. I don't want EVERYONE working together, but I understand that not everyone wants to die. Therefor, right now, it will remain PVP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image