#1 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

So a lot of talk has been going around of what they will be. I'm hoping the fire type is just a pure fire type and not fighting at all. Lot of people think Froakie will be water/ice and people think Chestpin will be grass/ground. What are your thoughts on the matter?

Also, heres a nice picture of them all.

sLoy5.jpg

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#2 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Fire type will be Fire/Psychic.

Calling it right now.

DHHIpKN.png

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I want it to be Fire/Physic or Fire/Electric myself. =X

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

Those are unofficial images, right? Because those are horrible designs. All three were ruined.

Chespin won't be grass/ground. I really hope he isn't, at least. I can't deal with ANOTHER grass starter with a 4x ice weakness. I hope he's fast and strong, rather than bulky and defensive. Sceptile is the only grass starter that's gone that route ever, and I'm DYING for another of that mold. Grass/Ground would kill that. D:

I'm thinking they might actually do the psy/dark/fight sub-trio, but if they do I hope they do it in the reverse order with Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

Personally, I'm expecting another pure Grass starter or a Grass/Steel one. Fire guy is gonna be pure or part Psychic. Just a feeling I get. And Froakie I think is going Ice. That's just my ideas of how it'll all shake out.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#5 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Actually, looking at it, Fire/Physic sucks. It has way too many weaknesses. Pure Fire starter please. And yea, they are fan images.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#6 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Fire/psychic, now that would be the coolest starter ever. Really it'd push me toward choosing the fire type in game. Mainly because hey, you've got some psychic awesomeness in that starter! The guesses for the other two seem pretty wise based on their appearances. If the fire type does have some psychic in them then it makes it pretty different to the other two now doesn't it? Grass/ground and Water/ice are some pretty comfy duos to throw in there, plus very simple.

I think it'd be pretty cool if Chespin had some darkness in them and Froakie had some ghost. I dunno but that smokeyness would work well in making it ghostly. Ice is a more decent bet for Froakie though.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#7 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm thinking they might actually do the psy/dark/fight sub-trio, but if they do I hope they do it in the reverse order with Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting.

Wow I like this idea.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#8 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Water/Ice would kind of be terrible too when I think about it. =X At this point I'm hoping for a pure Fire and pure Water with Grass getting something nice in return. But who knows. I just know for sure I dont want Fire/Physic anymore... good... it'd be the weakest starter ever. 5 weaknesses x_x

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#9 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Any combination that creates a lot of weaknesses is a no to me. In a Starter, that's just terrible.

I can't really tell what would be good for the Grass Starter. However, what I can see it being (by design) is Grass-Ground and maybe even Grass-Fighting, but I really don't know.
For the Fire Starter, I really, really, really, really, REALLY want to see Fire-Electric. End of story for me.
For the Water Starter, I don't know. I just DO NOT want yet another pure Water type. I am SO bored with that. I loved having Water-Steel. While I really don't see that happening, it would be nice. I could see Water-Fighting happening, but please no. You can keep that; I don't want it. The other thing I was thinking for the Water Starter is Water-Poison. I'm not sure just how much I'd like it, but... meh. I think that I at least wouldn't hate it. I could see Water-Ice, but for some reason, I just don't want it. :/ I'm not sure if I can see there being anything else for this buddy. Seeing as I don't expect Water-Steel and I want something new anyway (Water-Steel/Steel-Water can be a normal Pokemon and so no almost never accessible,) I guess I'll hope for Water-Poison. It seems... kind of "different"? and I find having some different weakness listed for once rather interesting.

Also, again: Any combinations that create 4 or more weaknesses is just gross to me, and I'd rather it not be a Starter.

Posted Image

#10 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I have to agree. Anything more then 4 weaknesses is just terrible. Even if it has a lot of Resistances. I can sort of see Water/Fighting but Idk. I'd like a pure fire type again man... =/ I dont see it turning into fighting, I just dont. I cant see electric either but I want it badly. Grass has to have some sort of second type. He just looks like he will. I said ground cause thats what he looks like he'll have. He's part chestnut part hedgehog so who knows really. 

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#11 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Any combination that creates a lot of weakness is a no to me. In a Starter, that's just terrible.

I can't really tell what would be good for the Grass Starter. I can see Grass-Ground and maybe even Grass-Fighting, but I really don't know.
For the Fire Starter, I really, really, really, really, REALLY want to see Fire-Electric. End of story for me.
For the Water Starter, I don't know. I just DO NOT want yet another pure Water type. I am SO bored with that. I loved having Water-Steel. While I really don't see that happening, it would be nice. I could see Water-Fighting happening, but please no. You can keep that; I don't want it. The other thing I was thinking for the Water Starter is Water-Poison. I'm not sure just how much I'd like it, but... meh. I think that I at least wouldn't hate it. I could see Water-Ice, but for some reason, I just don't want it. :/ I'm not sure if I can see there being anything else for this buddy. Seeing as I don't expect Water-Steel and I want something new anyway (Water-Steel/Steel-Water can be a normal Pokemon and so no almost never accessible,) I guess I'll hope for Water-Poison. It seems... kind of "different"? and I find having some different weakness listed for once rather interesting.

Also, again: Any combinations that create 4 or more weakness is just gross to me, and I'd rather it not be a Starter.

Fire/Electric has 3 common weaknesses in Water/Rock/4x Ground. That's pretty horrible.

Fire/Psychic loses to Dark, Ground, Rock, Ghost, Water. Ghost is hardly a worry. Its resistances hit a lot of common types and make it a VERY good combo.

Grass/Fighting loses to 4xFlying, Ice, Fire, Psychic, and Poison. That's five weaknesses, too. With some pretty bad ones. Psychic is a better offensive type than Fighting. I don't see how you can justify saying Grass/Fighting is good while Fire/Psychic blows.

The specific types that the combo loses to and how many of them are 4x are VASTLY more important than how many different types the combo loses to. >_>

I have to agree. Anything more then 4 weaknesses is just terrible. Even if it has a lot of Resistances. I can sort of see Water/Fighting but Idk. I'd like a pure fire type again man... =/ I dont see it turning into fighting, I just dont. I cant see electric either but I want it badly. Grass has to have some sort of second type. He just looks like he will. I said ground cause thats what he looks like he'll have. He's part chestnut part hedgehog so who knows really. 

That's not even close to true.

Dragon/Psychic is renowned as one of the BEST typings in all of Pokemon. It loses to Ice, Bug, Dark, Ghost, and Dragon. It also resists Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Fighting, and Psychic. It is an absolutely FANTASTIC type combo and it has five weaknesses, because it's very easy to keep it away from those while throwing it at the types that it utterly destroys. And then the pokemon who have that typing (Latios/Latias) take full advantage of it by being fast and powerful with WIDE movepools that can kill pretty much everything out there with ease.

So, in conclusion, I think it's rather closed-minded to judge a type combo based solely on how many weaknesses it has. The moves and stats of the pokemon go MUCH FARTHER toward deciding if the pokemon is good or bad, so dismissing a pokemon solely because of its typing without knowing anything about the more important aspects of it is silly. :\

(Breloom is also one of the best grass types in the metagame right now, and it's got 5 weaknesses, too!)

a5g7ld.gif

#12 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

There are pokemon that exist that are a bunch of those Water types (Thanks, Hoenn.)

Tenacool is Water/Poison, Walrein is Water/Ice, and Poliwrath is Water/Fighting. You should try those guys out to see if you actually like any of those types. Water/Poison is surprisingly strong defensively, despite Poison being a pretty bad type in general (imo).

Fire/Psychic is pretty meh. Picks up 5 weaknesses and 6 resistances. Would make for a hell of a special attacker like alternate ability Darmanitan.

Personally I hope for mono type starters because mono type starters are often the best ones, I feel. They're my favorites, anyway. I haven't had a pure Fire starter since Typhlosion and I am sick to death of Fire/Fighting because that typing SUCKS. The only good parts are picking up a resistance to Dark and that's it. Losing to Flying and Psychic attacks makes me feel like I did in Blue and Red when Charizard started getting destroyed by Rock attacks and I had no idea why.

That said, I can see Water/Fighting and Grass/Ground, but I don't see Fire picking up a second type at all so far.

Also Grass/Fighting -> Breloom. Breloom is god.

147.png

#13 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I know that there are plenty of Pokemon with four or more weaknesses; I even use some or think that the Type combination is interesting. But I think that on a Starter which should maybe be with you on your entire journey... It's just bad and... I just really don't like it.

Chespin should definitely end up having a secondary type. It looks like it would by its design. Ground seems like the most likely candidate, but I want to see a more interesting combination than that.
Fennekin... The reason I could see it being Fighting is like... If it evolves into standing upright. I can even easily visualize the pose that it would have. But Fire-Fighting is way overdone now with the Starters, and isn't even all that great. If I'm not mistaken, it also has four weaknesses, so that would be off of my list, anyway. I don't know. I can see Fennekin being Fire-Electric for some reason, and anyway, I just want that the most of anything. If not for being decided on always going with Water Starters for my playthroughs, I would go with Fennekin if it would end up being Fire-Electric. I can't tell how it's going to evolve, though, especially if it does become Fire-Electric. I can't really tell how any of them will evolve..
Froakie... I don't know. I'm really not too excited about this buddy in general. I like both of the other Staters better, with Fennekin being my favorite. I don't know--the more I think about it, the happier I feel about it being Water-Poison. Yeah, that's what I want this buddy to be. x3 Maybe he can be some sort of frog like the Poison Dart/Poison Arrow Frog, or hopefully something even more interesting. :33

Posted Image

#14 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Eh, Fire/Physic just doesnt seem like it'd be a good starter to me. I want a pure fire starter again so yea... the other two look like they'll have secondary types to them. And as well I know pokemon having a lot of weaknesses isnt always a bad thing and there are some good ones. But generally once you start hitting 5 they start to get destoryed easily. If it is fire/physic I'd hope we wouldn't see many new types of whats its weak to. Thats what I worry about really.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#15 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

For one, I just really feel that Fire/Electric is interesting. It is true that having few common-type weaknesses versus many uncommon-type weaknesses is bad, though.

Also, don't misunderstand me. I said that I could see it being Grass-Fighting (due to its design,) not that I agree with it. I actually don't like it, and that is also the reason I stated what I did at the very end of my post. Moreover, I'm not saying anything with four or more weaknesses is entirely terrible, just that I don't usually like it. I have thus far found it easy to get screwed over. The fact that some Pokemon can have such wide movepools is why I do tend to get screwed over at times. I'm also not saying to toss aside anything with four or more weaknesses; I simply stated that I want to see our Starters not have four or more weaknesses, if it can be helped. In order to have the most interesting Type combinations that we can (especially down the line,) I know that there would sometimes have to be at least four weaknesses.

Posted Image

#16 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I think I like these better. ;x

xLJdu.jpg

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#17 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think I like these better. ;x
I still don't like the design on the frog. That's not as bad as the image we saw, though, where the frog had an ugly short mustache and "pubic hair."
That fox looks so nice, though I think for a Starter, I would want to see something more interesting. I'm not sure, since I do really like that.
As for the evolved Chespin buddy... I honestly think that design looks amazing and feel like it could be spot-on.

Also, sorry, Ig. I re-read my post, and I saw how I worded my sentences rather poorly. While I was stating that I wasn't sure what secondary type would be good for the Grass Starter, the next sentece wasn't meant to be a follow up that said "these two would be good." The next sentence was meant to be a seperate statement of what I could see Chespin turning into do to its design. xP
I think there was some other statement that I messed up with, but I'm not recalling it at the moment. I would have to re-read again. I hope that my last post clarified what I meant a bit, though. xP

Posted Image

#18 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

In Red and Blue, Venusaur was pretty dicked over for a majority of the important parts of the game. It used to learn no good non-grass attacks, rendering it almost completely useless from Celadon City all the way up and through Cinnabar Island (and then it's a godsend when gym 8 is ground) since it can't do much against Erika's grass and grass/poison team, it is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE against Koga, and it loses viciously to both Sabrina and Blaine.

Meganium suffers similar fates in Gen 2, since Gym 1 was flying with Falkner, 2 was bug, 4 was gastly+haunter+gengar (part poison oops), in 5 and 6 Mega is only good against 1 of the pokemon they use, 7 is ice, and 8 is dragon. Thankfully, Meganium is sufficiently badass in stats that it can actually realistically hold its own against most of the gyms in that game.

I dunno. I wouldn't be upset about the type possibly being beaten by a lot of what is in the game, since there's workarounds for it, it's happened before, and people have gotten through it. They've been better recently with keeping it pretty balanced in terms of how frequently your starters are back-seated due to the types you're up against, and the elite four in Gen 5 is so "neutral" that it allows all three starters to fight all four trainers. :3

So I wouldn't be worried about types at all. They seem to know what they're doing. Also, running into "lots of stuff that beats it" is never an issue. Your team is six dudes strong. You don't need your starter to handle every threat that's ever thrown at you. That's why a Fire/Psychic type should be teamed with a grass type to take out the majority of its weaknesses (rock/ground/water) and suddenly you only worry about dark and ghost!

I do see what you mean in that a starter with TOO MANY weaknesses might end up becoming useless if trainers start frequenting moves of those types, though. I do hope that doesn't happen, since that's really what ended up sidelining Venusaur in every game of red and leafgreen I've ever played. He just can't fight many different things effectively. But that stems MOSTLY from grass/poison being a TERRIBLE offensive pair. Fire/Psychic is a FANTASTIC offensive pair that hits literally every type for at least neutral damage. THAT is what makes Fire/Psychic a GREAT type combo. :3

And those designs eh. The fox looks bad. I really am not digging this mole theme people seem to be adding to Chespin. He's a HEDGEHOG not a MOLE. And the grass armor plates just look silly. Idk. Hopefully the real designs are nicer. Froakie one looks better there, though.

a5g7ld.gif

#19 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Just to point out, Grass types have 5 weaknesses but they dont suck at all. Snivy was freaking amazing in the game and is the BEST starter of Gen V easily. With Leech Seed and Giga Drain, he's near impossible to kill really. I had trouble with tepig on my white playthrough but on my black, snivy easily kicks ass. Leaf Blade is so good too... ~_~ He's probably my favorite Grass starter. So I can see where you say that 5 weaknesses dont make them bad at all. I just worry that 5 weaknesses can be really troublesome on a starter that isnt like snivy.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#20 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

It was never an issue for Meganium or Sceptile, either.

a5g7ld.gif