• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Griever

Griever

Squire

• Squire
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

soooooo... New gen = better designed pokemon? ngl I actually like these.

#42 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

Those are all fan ideas of what the starters might look like. There's a 90% chance that the actual forms won't look nearly as awesome as those ones do.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#43 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

I think the pokemon we've seen so far for Gen VI actually look pretty nice compared to others. But that might just be me. =x

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#44 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

So it's been confirmed that the starter pokemon are all mono types of Grass/Water/Fire.

That only goes for their first stages, naturally. Still, it's nice to see no dual type first forms, and Iggy will breathe a sigh of relief that Chespin isn't the dreading Grass/Poison (this is a joke between us, more or less, since he laments how bulbasaur sucks for being grass/poison)

So that's news, I suppose.

147.png

#45 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yea, I read that just a bit ago. I first thought it said they were going to be Pure the whole way through but its just the first forms so yea. I'm still pulling for Dar/Psychic/Fightingorice

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#46 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Dark/Psychic/Ice would be icky, though. It would make the Fire/Psychic obviously the worst. Beat by both, only beats one whereas Water/Ice is beat by one and beats both and Grass/Dark is beat by both but can beat both.

It would only work out as a Psy/Fight/Ice trio or what have you and that would create another Fire/Fighting starter and that would be the absolute LAST thing I want to see happen. (it could also be Fire with Rock or Steel, but those two types are icky and I personally would not want to entertain either of them over a Fire/Psychic)

Hmm... Now I want to try and reason out what sorts of trios would be good with the starter being part Ice...

a5g7ld.gif

#47 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I either want pure all the way through on everyone, or all of them getting a secondary... I really dont want two getting a second or just one getting a second. Kind of annoyed by that happening. Just makes the other ones that dont have it seem less powerful or versatile I should say.

In all honesty, I cant see Chespin not being Dark if he has a second type... I mean... sure ground is a possibility but I dont know. Him being fighting...? Grass/Fighting? Eh, its a weird combo but it could be something. I'm sure nintendo will have just reasons for grouping things the way they do. they had 5 gens to do so in after.

Also, Froakie would really be better as a water/fighting to me too.

Oh hell. Why not just make them all fighting. Water/fighting, grass/fighting, fire/fighting, HAVE A FIGHTING PARTY.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#48 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Oh hell. Why not just make them all fighting. Water/fighting, grass/fighting, fire/fighting, HAVE A FIGHTING PARTY.

You trying to start up a fight club?

Honestly though I'm kinda glad we just have pure types. It's pretty nice.

Edited by The Dream, 17 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#49 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

It's not confirmed for final evos yet, Dream, just the initial forms. :3

If they do Water/Ice, Fire/Steel could work, with a Grass/Fighting as the third. All three can then beat each other.

If they do Water/Ice, Fire/Fighting could ALSO work with a Grass/Psychic third.

Those are literally the only options where:

1. Either all three beat one another OR none of them beat one another

2. No one type gets 4x hits on any other type (as would happen with Fire/Rock and Grass/Flying)

So basically if Froakie is Water/Ice and the first set doesn't happen (because Fire/Fighting sucks) I am going to be very upset, since the starters WILL be unbalanced in type coverage quite severely, unless it can be made up similarly to Gen IV (teach Empoleon Ice Beam and he can still handle Tort despite not getting type advantage with STAB due to 4x weakness).

I'm still pulling for Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, and Grass/Dark. Alternatively, I'd be perfectly fine if Froakie went Dark and Chespin picked up the Fighting slack. Then it'd just be a super double triangle that would be pretty sweet.

a5g7ld.gif

#50 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Fire/Psychic, Fire/Electric, Fire/Steel. I'll take them all. Even pure fire would be excellent. 

Grass/Dark just seems badass to me >_> I'd love to have a grass/dark starter and if Chespin is I might change my mind. So far I know I'll eventually use two of the starters at one point. Hopefully they don't announce their types or don't transform enough till their final level so we are still guessing for a long tome.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#51 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Let me fill you newbies in on the process for this that has been the standard since forever. :P

Games are announced alongside silhouettes of the starters. We get a few new guys here and there while the fandom erupts in guessing starters based on literally nothing but black shapes. Good fun.

Then we get literally NO information about the starters or their evolutions until the game is released in Japan. Day of release, someone somewhere hacks the code of the game and pulls out the raw data of the entire pokedex. We then have stats, images, names, types of EVERY pokemon by number within a day of release.

I only follow Serebii, and what they do is they then begin a live-blog of their play through the game, which I tend to follow up to the first gym before I delete my serebii bookmark (which I won't have to do this time since I'll have the game ;----; ) during which he reveals everything he encounters including new pokemon, new moves, etc. It's really neat.

Long story short, we'll know the types and (MAYBE) appearances of the starters' final forms on release day, no sooner. I'm not sure on appearances, since if they aren't sprites it'll be really tough for a hacker to put together actual images of the different pokemon. They're just a flat "texture" and a 3D "model" on which the texture is overlayed, after all. Hardly much to look at from a coding perspective; far less than a sprite as far as appearance of the pokemon goes. :3

In other words, there SHOULD be nothing to worry about. The Nintendo staff has never once revealed the final forms of the starters before release date, to my knowledge, since Gen I (when they were on the box art). I played Sapphire without knowing anything beyond Treecko. I'm expecting/hoping/planning to relive that experience with Chespin, since it is WITHOUT A DOUBT the most enjoyable part of a pokemon game. You have this brand new pokemon you have never seen before and suddenly it starts evolving. And you just sit on the edge of your seat like OMFG I HOPE IT DOESN'T SUCK and then your hopes are dashed when your badass raptor pokemon evolves into a fat piece of shit that's like picking its ass all YO GUYS I'M A FAT FUCK WHO LOOKS STONED.

And that's why Gen III has my undying hatred, in a nutshell.

a5g7ld.gif

#52 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Yea, I know before in the past things weren't really revealed at all. But I was wondering if it would be different this time around and we'd get some information out about them since they are doing something so large and drastically different. Get people more interested and excited for things. If we dont get more info, fine okay. But we got what? 8 and a half months till October. I figure they'll leak SOMETHING to keep hype and interest at its peak.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#53 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

They'll definitely be giving more info before release but I'm pretty sure it'll be more along the lines of new pokemon and towns and types for the legends. I really hope we don't get final forms of the starters before release because I'd much rather discover them myself through normal play. D:

a5g7ld.gif

#54 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

The rumors have stated that it'll be Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting. I'm SORT of okay with this. But I find the better combo to be with Dark and Fighting switched. A Water/Dark type starter just seems so cool. =< And Water/Fighting just makes me think that Froakie will be too similar to Poliwrath.

I mean, I like either set up. One gives immunities to one of the trios types, other just gives 1/2 damage. Not sure which I'd prefer with having to battle my rival and all.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#55 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

The rumors have stated that it'll be Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting. I'm SORT of okay with this. But I find the better combo to be with Dark and Fighting switched. A Water/Dark type starter just seems so cool. =< And Water/Fighting just makes me think that Froakie will be too similar to Poliwrath.

I mean, I like either set up. One gives immunities to one of the trios types, other just gives 1/2 damage. Not sure which I'd prefer with having to battle my rival and all.

I disagree with this.

Grass/Fighting could be too similar to Breloom.

Water/Dark has a type in Sharpedo.

Basically, Poliwrath is a really good pokemon, but it doesn't have a few things going for it. Namely - everything.

Poliwrath has no speed, and focuses on defenses and bulk with okay attack back ups. Froakie looks like it'll be the fastest of the bunch, and could end up with ~100 base speed and ~100-90 in at least one of its offenses, possibly more if it doesn't have defenses like Emboar. I think it could end up much different than Poliwhirl.

Grass/Dark has 5 weaknesses and 1 4x weakness to Bug.

One immunity - Psychic

6 Resistances

Grass Fighting has 4 weaknesses, 1 4x to Flying and 6 Resistances.

Water/Dark has 4 weaknesses, 1 immunity, 6 resistances

Water/Fight has 4 weaknesses, 7 resistances

Clearly I think that for balance's sake, Water/Fight and Grass/Dark should be done since it benefits the two pokemon the most.

147.png

#56 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Cacturne is a Grass/Dark type, too, to add on to what all Val just said. Seriously, I don't think there's too much bad about it. I'm not personally fond of the Psy/Dark/Fight trio, but I can live with it. Also the way it is now rumored (Fire/Psy, Grass/Dark, Water/Fight) is good. VERY GOOD. It gives them each STAB super effective moves against BOTH of the other starters. It's like Gen 4's awesome AWESOME trio, except balanced more you know and not leaving Empoleon out to dry in the type battles (though I mean Ice 4x on Torterra is kind of a nice help for him to use).

a5g7ld.gif