#1 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

Um. I don't know why there's no thread for this yet. Basically, this game is awesome. It's a very traditional swords & sorcery sort of RPG with open-world exploration and some really intuitive systems that make combat fun and, at times, very difficult. This is a thread primarily to share fun stories we have in the game with other people who would care to hear them.

Tonight, I was heading off to do this mission that involved goblin slaying at the Shadow Fort. I was having fun cleaving through Bandits and accidentally finishing a different quest on the way. Then I found Saurians and was lolling past them as well with my six-shot ice attack that OHKO's them. It was fun. I was enjoying my fun romp through the wilderness DOZENS OF MILES FROM CIVILIZATION.

And then it turned night and I started freaking out. Having encountered no wolves, I wasn't THAT worried. Fighting a cyclops at night is a bit difficult, but they kind of suck so it was okay. It wasn't until a little while after that... I was scouting with my magick arrows like I am wont to do at night (to see if something's coming) and spotted a target in the black. It was far off; I couldn't see what it was. So I set up a Hunter's Shot or whatever it's called (it can collect up to 10 targets, so I can scan how large the enemy party is before deciding if I want to engage). It lights up. Gets 10 targets disgustingly fast. I was just like. What's the worst it could be. A pack of wolves? Goblins? Psh. *fire*

Everything was silent after I shot the arrows for a moment. Then one of my guys said "Its dragon heart is exposed. Strike now!" and I just said wait what out loud. And then a red glow lights up where the targets were and a fcking DRAGON FLIES UP AND STARTS COMING TOWARD ME. And I see its health. Cyclopes have like 2 dots of extra health. This fucker had like six or seven. So I did what anyone would do. I turned the fuck around and RAN LIKE A BITCH. And I heard it behind me and saw its health bar on screen and I was like no this can't be happening I have come too far to and then I found a Rest Camp and slept until morning and the dragon didn't find me. (I saw the dragon again in morning, but it was calm and didn't seem angry at me for the previous night so I just left him alone and made a wide berth around the opposite side of the lake)

I heard some people talk about the game having survival horror features to it. I thought Witchwood was kind of creepy. But it doesn't have anything scary, besides Phantoms. Even they aren't scary since I'm a Magick Archer... But a dragon. Appearing across the way in the middle of the night. I don't think I have ever been as scared in a video game as I was in that moment.

ANYWAY. DRAGON'S DOGMA IS AWESOME PLAY IT. Then you can get my badass OP Fighter Lucy to join your party and watch as she annihilates everything. :3

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#2 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Add me on PSN so we can share Pawns O:

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#3 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Why is it that everyone is so dumb about my PSN ID. It's like. Come on. My name is literally the same everywhere. Everywhere. Unless you don't get to input your own name/moniker. My PSN ID is Igshar. My xBox shits is Igshar. On the 3DS I am Igshar. It really helps that my name is meaningless to ~100% of the population. It's always available.

Also top tier Fighter skill is super neat. I can't wait to actually learn it for my Arisen and actually get to play with it. :0 I'm going back to school tomorrow, though, so I won't be on again until Friday (when I'll be on ALL NIGHT BRO)

a5g7ld.gif

#4 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yeah so Dogma WAS mine for the x-mas, but iggy hogs it because he's super annoying.

My main is a fighter, pawn is a max Strider. I'm gonna make him into a Ranger eventually when I have the discipline. I'm digging the game, but there are a few things that really irk me. One is that there's no good way to pass the night at a few safe places like waycastles. Why can't there be a way to MAKE CAMP. You have kindling, you can make a fire. Let them bring bedrolls and camp supplies so you can cook meat and whatnot that you find. Set up watches and make it REALLY immersive instead of gamey as hell when I'm standing in the middle of a castle at night and not able to wander around because of massive swarms of Dire Wolves everywhere.

Hopefully when they do the sequel they'll fix that problem. Also, a small lock-on option would be nice, since I hate missing at the start of the game. It's better now, but still a pain.

Things cost an arm and a leg in the store and it's hard to figure out how to get decent things. I hire pawns that have equipment way above anything I've ever seen or made, which makes me think that I need a guide to find out what to do and how to get good equipment.

That said, the sense of progression is nice, and the enemies are relentless. There are annoying difficulty spikes here and there for seemingly no reason (these bandits suck, but THOSE BANDITS will kick your dick inside out even though they look exactly the same) or (here's an early quest to head to the Witchwood. Good luck getting there! Or the early game Saurian quest because why?)

It's a good game. Pretty solid. There are a few improvements I'd personally make to it. Also, fuck that gull quest when you start as a fighter. It's damn near impossible unless you get lucky with Blink Strike :\

147.png

#5 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

The thing that annoys me most is the fact that there is no fast travel. With such a huge world, I think fast travel is something they should have definitely included. Also, I ran out of oil once while it was night and I just ran around in a small circle till the sun came up. I found that annoying, but I guess it's partially my fault. It's just it's TOO dark at night. You literally can't see 5 feet in front of you.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#6 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

The thing that annoys me most is the fact that there is no fast travel. With such a huge world, I think fast travel is something they should have definitely included. Also, I ran out of oil once while it was night and I just ran around in a small circle till the sun came up. I found that annoying, but I guess it's partially my fault. It's just it's TOO dark at night. You literally can't see 5 feet in front of you.

That's the very thing that makes the game immersive, as I was saying. The idea of planning BEFORE you adventure is really neat, and planning your adventures AROUND nightfall is also kind of cool so that you actually can plan out how much ground you need to cover before night falls if you don't want to get caught in a bad place.

With fast travel in place then the entire danger of Dogma is lost and you'd never see and experience the scariness of night time. It's incredibly dark (because it kind of would be, and the game plays very very dark, which I saw coming from the calibration screen). In Skyrim I barely ever saw night time, and when I did I didn't give any shits because night time was just aesthetically different, not gameplay different.

I personally don't mind the treks because you build Discipline and fill your inventory with items you can sell off or use in combinations and stuff. Plus it's fun to randomly stumble across bandits and other wildlife as you journey. It takes it out of the "game" aspect and into the "world" aspect which is really cool from a roleplaying point of view. The map is pretty damn small when you get down to it, but it would be nice if you could take carriages or something from village to village at the very least (Why is there not constant transportation running to Gran Soren from EVERYWHERE, I don't know).

But yeah, I say MORE of the realistic problems of adventuring in an older time period and less of game aspects. Being able to rest for coin at a rest camp makes very little sense to me when you could just have a "bedroll" tool that you could unroll and set up with a campfire and rest overnight. Small things that would take the game from being good to great and a totally unique experience.

147.png

#7 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Um. There IS Fast Travel. It's Ferrystones. It's a very strict system, but it fits in-world. If they did any fast travel (point+click travel) it would really lose a LOT of what I personally LOVE about the game. If you can just jump from Gran Soren to the Encampment, you miss the whole aspect of potentially walking through that damn canyon at night with naught but a lantern lighting your way. Suddenly HARPIES SCREECH OUT AT YOU. And it's scary and tough and it's not something a lot of games offer, due to the presence of point+click travel. I would be very upset to see that sort of system out of Dragon's Dogma in any way more than the limited nature of Ferrystones (which I ALREADY don't really like too much).

And it's not really TOO dark at night, especially if you pop the brightness up a couple notches. It's a realistic darkness, I feel. It's about as dark as it really is when it gets that late at night. And there's NOTHING AT ALL as awesome as the feeling when you can finally see the scenery in the distance again as the sun rises again.

I dunno. The game has a very nice feel of realism to it that immerses me in the game very very well, and stuff that would be pure gameplay features (fast travel) would really... break some of that for me, and I can't get behind that. The most I'd want to see for way of "fast travel" would be being able to hitch a ride on a caravan or such going from one place to another. But I would still not want it to be a click go sort of thing. I'd want to sit and ride along on the caravan and watch the scenery go by. And that would probably be boring, so I'd never use it anyway, so I have no issues with it not being an option.

All in all, I feel like I am a person in this world. Fast travel and such would tear it down to me and make it a wholly different game and experience and that's not an improvement to the system that's in place. It really just isn't.

a5g7ld.gif

#8 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ferrystones dont exactly count as fast travel, in my opinion. I also don't like how there's only really one dedicated city in the whole game with pretty much everything. As for camps on your ways around during journeying, there are many of them after you get past a certain part of the game. They become readily available. 

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#9 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Ferrystones count. They're relatively cheap (20k is cheap for me and I'm not even done with the Wyrm Hunt quests yet) and they automatically ferry you back to the nearest hub city, no? I don't know how they work once you have multiple ferryspots opened up, but the description makes it sound like it can take you to places other than Gran Soren.

And the world's not that big, so I don't see an issue. ._. In a couple hours of gameplay last night I ran from Gran Soren to the Watergod's Altar (and cleared it up and through getting the key) and then out and down to the first town to talk to Pike then back up to the Altar to finish it up and then ran back to Gran Soren. Once I get my weight altering skill and that 7k Strider augment, it'd be even faster going. I really don't see the need for fast travel. I'm also (as I said) not very far in the game, so I can't really comment.

The only issues I ever have with being away from Gran Soren is the fact I can't learn new skills or change vocations anywhere else, really, and that's hardly much of an issue. I rarely change vocations, and I have this nasty habit of like... planning ahead. So I never run into many issues at all. Oh, I'm gonna be a level 1 Fighter sheesh that's gonna suck oh why not head south where the enemies are jokes so that my absolutely piss-poor strength stat becomes something formidable. Oh look. That worked well.

ALSO. I love the stats system of this game. Nice and subtle but yet so amazing. I recently started to realize that Amelia was level 28 with 986 health. Not even 1000. Leveled twice as a Fighter and suddenly I'm sitting at 1150 or so (mostly from the vitality augment I snagged). But Amelia also has 170+ base magick attack and defense alongside 1000 base stamina. I compared her to my pawn (who has only been a Fighter up until level 28 when she became a Warrior) and she didn't even have 100 magick attack or defense, but she had 1300 base health >________> FREAKING AMAZING.

Basically, I accidentally made Amelia forever a magick attacker. Oops. Gonna do up Mystic Knight after I get what I want from Fighter (the weight augment), since I got this super sexy sword that has like 200 magick attack that I REALLY WANT TO USE. Eden Warden iirc. I also got a free magick shield, so it's like telling me that I have to be a Mystic Knight so who am I to refuse? :>

PS. Magick Archer is far and away my favorite class so far, having played as Mage, Fighter, and that. I watched Val with his Mystic Knight a bit. It looks fun, but I would miss my bow after a while. Magick Bows are just so much fun. I had to re-learn how to actually fight wolves, goblins, and saurians when I became a Fighter. Suddenly I couldn't just Sixfold Shot them from afar and kill them without even ever engaging... My less than 1000 health used to feel like too much. Now my 1100 health feels like too little. D;

a5g7ld.gif

#10 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Something I noticed today that irked me. Spoilers for a male Arisen only sidequest below.

I was doing a quest where the duchess asks you to come up to her bed chambers and its implied heavily that she wants to smex things up. The duke walks in and stuff and you hide behind a separator. He begins to try to choke and rape her and you have the choice of saving her or not. I saved her and got thrown into the dungeons because the duchess acts like I broke into her room and tried to force myself on her (otherwise the duke would have killed us both). Anyway, she later visits you in dungeon and gives you a pair of skeleton keys to assist you in escaping. Now the thing that bothers me is that once I escape from the prison and a whole side quest line of affair shit with the duchess has opened up, I can casually walk into the Duke's manor and talk to him and stuff and he acts like NOTHING happened. NOTHING. This is irking because side quests have NO consequence on your world. I mean sure, that's how it usually is but this is no small matter. I got accused of trying to rape the queen and no one in Gran Soren gives a flying shit.

Just thought I'd share my feels. :I

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg