#1 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Playing Ni No Kuni has reinvigorated my overwhelming desire to create a video game. This is something I've been throwing around in my head for a while and, now that I'm seriously looking to start building it for real, I figured I'd post up a thread here, asking for help, feedback, and such.

The actual plot is still spotty, at best, but the general idea is that you, the player character, would be "The Walker" (pending), someone who is capable of controlling the wild Beasts (also pending) that roam the world. You'd have some bad guy you have to beat and a super epic quest to undertake in order to find and defeat said bad guy.

I intend for the aesthetics of the game to be darker, along the lines of Jade Cocoon, and it will probably be entirely sprite-based, with the sprite-work primarily handled by myself and Valor (since I'm pretty sure he's interested in helping out with this in a serious capacity).

What I DO have laid out pretty well is the gameplay. It's divided in two parts:

The Walker.

Spoiler

Beasts

Spoiler

And then there's combat.

Spoiler

Element system

Spoiler

WHEW. I have more than that, but this is super long already. I'll close this out by mentioning a bit of flavor.

Spoiler

And last, but not least, is why I'm making this thread in the first place.

I need help. I need a team to actually get this thing going ANYWHERE but where it is right now. I've been looking into using RPG Maker VX as the base engine to build the game with, but the coding in it is just too complicated for me to wrap my head around. It's based on Ruby, and Ruby is a really complicated (but outrageously powerful) code format.

IDEALLY I would want to create my own engine for the game and build it entirely from scratch, but I don't know the first thing about doing something like that, especially when it comes time for trying to figure out how to make the game work on Windows AND Mac. So yeah.

If you want to help out with making my dream a reality, make sure you agree with all of the following statements, or please please please PLEASE do not apply:

1. I think the basics for the gameplay and creature systems are pretty baller.

2. I think Iggy and Artemis and Valor are cool and I wouldn't mind working with any one (or all) of them.

3. I have a means of contact and talking with people away from this site. (Instant Messenger, preferably AIM)

4. I have good ideas that I would love to contribute to help make the game a success.

5. I have skills that can be of use to Iggy in creating this game.

6. I can and will devote time and energy to helping this game succeed with the only promise of reward being Iggy's eternal gratitude and a nice big spot in the credits to the game.

What I really need most:

1. Coder/Scripter who can work with the code in RMVX

----- OR a coder who is capable of building a game engine from scratch

2. Brainstormers who have good ideas and are quite creative, and willing to work with myself and others on creating an interesting plot for the game

3. Monster designers who can come up with some pretty fantastical creatures to help populate the world

IF we can actually build our own engine for the game and create it wholly from scratch, we could go about trying to sell the game for profit, and everybody who is then on team would be the first employees of an Indie game development studio and that would be super sexy and hot.

We could do that with RMVX, as well; I'd just need to be sure to actually purchase the licensed version before doing so, which isn't really an issue. :P

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#2 Epic

Epic

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,196 posts
  • I'M BACK BITCHES

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think I could be of assistance, especially if you're using RPG Maker VX. (Though I would recommend VX ACE. It's a little more complicated, but provides a lot more freedom)

I'm just getting started learning the Ruby scripting system, so I don't think I will be of much help with that. I'm also not much of an artist, so the monster designing is out for me.

Keeping that in mind, I think I would be of use as a Brainstormer. In a couple of days, i'll have an extra eight hours that I can devote to anything I wish.

And I like the idea of being a member of an indie game studio, be it a paid position or not.

hitchens-1949-2011-by-Gasper-Tringale.jp

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. I promise."

- Christopher Hitchens

#3 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I wasn't aware of VX Ace wow what. I'll have to look into that. I'll be coming into a tiny bit of funds so I'll probably put ~70 aside to buy a license to VX Ace, if you really think it would be lots better than vanilla VX. I've never used it so idk how good/bad it is comparatively speaking. I assume it's a strict upgrade?

Regardless, let me throw up my concept art I made a LONG TIME AGO of the initial five monsters~

2iut4lj.jpg

And even if we get no other help, I will actually be trying to see this vision through to fruition because I really want to be behind what should be a really nice and fun monster raising adventure. :<

Do note that I intend for the available monster roster to be utterly gargantuan. I want it to feel diverse and lush and I want the world to feel inhabited by these creatures. Every niche filled. Each area will be its own little self-contained ecosystem. Every "animal" in the world will be one of the monsters/beasts/what have you. Like "horses" would be a beast with similar properties to a horse (fast land animal that gets saddled up). Beasts of burden, birds of prey, fishes, reptiles, plants, everything. EVERYTHING WILL BE BEASTS.

That's ideally, at least. And not literally on the plants side. Not everything will be plants.

The idea of the initial area is that it's a small woodland, populated by lizards in the trees which eat the birdz that fly about which eat the thunderbugs that crawl on the ground while the bugs and the little woodland rodent dude who is sort of a beaver in design uses his tail to smack the ground and stun his prey so he can eat it (mostly the bugs, but he's totes top of the food chain there; hunted by the people of the village for food and fur) and the bird, obviously, preys on the bugs as well.

OH AND MORE ON BEASTS. They will be classified on a quasi Phylum-Family-Species sort of ordering. As of right now, the classifications look like this:

Types:

Tenui (reptiles)

Capillia (mammals)

Pennaeus (birds)

Aliquante (bugs)

Each will have three (or four) "groups" under it. Every Type will have the same number of Groups (ideally; this MIGHT not work out but I hope it does)

Groups:

Tenui -> Cornus (lizards), Acrustus (turtles), Porros (snakes)

Capillia -> ???, ???, ???

Pennaeus -> ???, ???, ???

Aliquante -> Loricatus (beetles), Vertus (cocoon bugs), ??? (arachnids)

Then each monster has a species name!

Ignicerta (chameleon) [fire]

Lapiscutor (beaver) [earth]

Fulmisobus (beetle) [zap]

Fronivis (bird) [plant]

Obscimica (caterpillar) [shade]

And so all of them would be listed by species name in the journal(s) and they'd all also have "common names" that most people refer to them as. When you capture one, you'll be allowed to name them whatever you want, and they would default to the common name. We haven't thought up any common names yet since they were all pretty bad like Flameleon.

a5g7ld.gif

#4 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

2. Brainstormers who have good ideas and are quite creative, and willing to work with myself and others on creating an interesting plot for the game

3. Monster designers who can come up with some pretty fantastical creatures to help populate the world

Sign me up for either, chief. Or not. Depends if you want that Wynn creative input :v

DHHIpKN.png

#5 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I really like the idea behind this, so I'll offer to help any way I can. O: Just tell me what to do and I'll try to do what I can to help.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#6 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Sign me up for either, chief. Or not. Depends if you want that Wynn creative input :v
I really like the idea behind this, so I'll offer to help any way I can. O: Just tell me what to do and I'll try to do what I can to help.

Super excited to have actual interest in helping out with this project. ;---;

Some stuff I didn't want to really post without having some sort of interest first... Basic initial storyline stuff:

Player begins in a small hunting village nestled deep in this dark and spooky forest that's really not so dark and spooky. This village has a tradition where, when kids come of age (16 or 18), they are put to The Test. This is basically just a test where they run into the forest, find a special grove, and return with a flower that grows around the spring there. Those who do are considered adults from then on, and they join up with their parents on hunting trips and trips to town and the like. The forest isn't really fraught with danger. The adults and the human settlement tends to keep the Beasts at bay, pushing the scarier sorts deeper into the forest. The smaller ones stick around closer to the village. The deeper you go into the forest, the nastier the monsters get, essentially.

But there's a catch. In this village, there's one kid, one whole family, who is exempt from the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. They live comfortably and are fed by the extra food caught by the other families in the village. Player is that kid, who has just recently come of age. The Test is about to be underway and Player's peers are all set and ready to enter the forest to become full-fledged adults, while Player is told to stay home and mope. I want the game to be all about choices, so you won't really be forced into doing anything, after this first little bit where you kind of have no choice but to run out into the village and try and blend in with the other kids.

(at home, you can't leave (player comments on these things) without a few things: your trusty knife your mom gave you for your birthday, the leather tunic you made all by yourself, and your dad's old journal (it's blank, but it serves as a good luck charm for you!))

You run out to the group with your journal and dagger and tunic and you're all set to go out with the other kids. The village chief, however, sees you. The other kids point you out and the chief says YOU CAN'T GO IN THE FOREST. IT'S NOT ALLOWED. But you're not forced to leave. You'd have a little back-and-forth with the guy where you can argue against how unfair it is or accept your lot in life. After the discussion ends, you're given control again. You really have two main options. You can listen to the chief and head home, OR you can RUN into the forest without caring about what the old dude said.

If you run into the forest, you'll be chased by other kids in the village. On the first screen of the forest, you get attacked by one of the kids who says you shouldn't be out there. You beat him, he runs off and you just progress as normal.

If you run home, your dad asks why you're so upset. After a brief explanation, he tells you to do whatever you feel is right, and that he'd support you going into the forest. He explains the reason WHY they don't want you going to the forest, going through this old myth about "Walkers," mythical figures who were able to commune with Beasts and control them. It's believed that you (and your family) descended from the Walkers and that you have inherited their skills. The ability to control Beasts is deemed too dangerous, so they just keep the Walker line from ever entering the forest. Naturally, you're encouraged to go anyway, since it's a load of hogwash.

The forest would be a pretty simple area, nothing too special. Relatively open, with a few little spots to explore that have healing items and perhaps a different weapon type or two (like handing out a spear or a sword) before you eventually end up at the spring. You (in your thought bubble) mention which flower is the right one. So you go and pluck your flower, only to be stopped by the voice of another person who's there with you in the forest. This person would be a Walker, as well, and it would be one of two characters, dependent on your character's sex. (the character would match sexes and be around 25-30 years old) This dude is a Walker, as well, and it's them who points to your journal and explains how you're a Walker, too. As proof, the Walker summons forth a pretty badass Beast (level 3-4, maybe 5) and says how you can do that, too. You just need to commune with them.

So you get a quest to go capture a Beast in the forest. Once you've gotten one, you return to the spring, and the Walker who helped you is gone. (They'll be there UNTIL you clear the quest, to remind you of how to do it if you forget). So you just pick the flower and return to the village, triumphant.

At this point, you can literally ONLY CAPTURE the one monster you catch here. You won't have any excess storage at all.

That's essentially my vision of the opening sequence of the game. From there, you'd return to the village, stuff happens, and you end up getting your first journal upgrade (to be able to hold 2) before you leave the village, headed for a city that lies across some plains to the *direction*.

Important notes: The forest would be FULLY TRAVERSABLE from the moment you have finished this first quest. You'll be able to delve as deeply into the forest as you would like, but it's highly likely that you with your poop-league gear and your fresh new Beast(s) will not be able to go very far off the main path that you took in the beginning. You CAN explore all you like, but you'll likely get nommed on. People WILL warn you of this if you ask around town before heading out. They'll give free items and tell you to be safe and stay away from the deeper woods. It'll be a short path through the forest to get out onto the open plains and blahblahblah that's about as far as I've worked out the story so far. :P

I don't particularly want or need the story to be some deep and engaging thing. I want the primary focus of the game to be around the character of the player (which will be largely molded by choices made by the player) and the lore of the world that you're traveling through. Lore about Beasts and Walkers and what has come before and what is prophesied to come in the future. I also want the destiny of the player to be up in the air. Your choices should determine how you develop through the course of the game. You might decide to help out what a different player would consider the villains. You might avoid responsibility and just sit around and play with your Beasts for the whole time. I'd want "endings" for a whole bunch of different ways you can play the game, including a few "bad ends" for if you do literally nothing. Like if you cry about not going to the forest, go home, and then just choose to sleep instead of going out into the forest to hunt, it'd give a nice ending where your player character just resigns themself to the fate of never having any fun and grows up to be the parent of another kid, and the story basically just starts over, with you designing a new character and going through everything again. :P

a5g7ld.gif

#7 Epic

Epic

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,196 posts
  • I'M BACK BITCHES

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Iggy, I am incredibly excited to get involved in this. Story seems great, gameplay seems great, everything seems great.

Yeah, Ace is an upgrade. It's a little confusing if you haven't used it before, but it's easy to get the hang of it. They have a sprite and faceset generator built into the system, they have new and higher quality music, they have region editing, a shadow pen, you can directly edit the features of characters, monsters, armor, and weapons. Everything is just more in-depth and free.

hitchens-1949-2011-by-Gasper-Tringale.jp

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. I promise."

- Christopher Hitchens

#8 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'm actually very interested in helping with this, but I'm afraid all the programming help I can muster is MAYBE getting us somebody who can build an engine from scratch.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#9 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Much as I would love to be part of this project, my knowledge is nil and my creativity with appearances is pretty laughable.

If you can deal with that, well, you know I have far too much time on my hands and thus can be taught - assuming any of you could actually go with that. Hopefully gonna be the founder of an LGBT support club soon, but I can't imagine the school would open it for long hours anyhow, so time remains on my side.

Hell, I don't even ask to be recognized in credits or anything. Just to be found useful.

Edited by Dexel, 31 January 2013 - 10:33 PM.

2j87ib.jpg

#10 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

So we do have an official folder in gdox specifically for this project, complete with a spreadsheet of current monsters, classifications, and an element table, along with a single word doc that's going to be used for story development and a doc that'll be used for monster ideas from everybody. I'm also going to ask that everyone who's in add to the Main Doc a line near the top that just defines a color for you to use, different from the ones already in use by Denver, Val, and myself. It'll help keep things organized and make for better overall cohesion if we just color the different things that we're working on.

And uh, this will be my last post in this thread, since I think we've collected a large enough team (for now, at least), so I'm gonna open up a PM between the current group of us so we can exchange future ideas there, and this is gonna be closed.

Sorry to both Ralor and Dexel, but like... I need/want people who have skills that I need. :\ Not to sound mean or whatever. I always feel bad saying no to peeps, so like blah, but yeah. I need gmails from some of you folks, so that would be sweet to get (once you get the message just drop them there or w/e and I'll add you into the list of contributors).

THAT IS ALL. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME ERRYBUDDY. This might open again in the future if we need more help down the line, but for now, it's closed.

PS!!!! If anyone wants to contribute but not be a part of the full team (either by submitting creature concepts or anything simple/"minor" like that), feel free to shoot me a message with them. You'll definitely be included in the credits at the end of the game, and I'll likely include mentions of who created each creature on its info page! (with a little "first discovered by *name*" tag)

a5g7ld.gif