#1 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Suggested by Dion and supported by all the shoutbox peeps at the time, we're probably going to be running a Studio Ghibli-themed movie night this weekend, probably on Saturday night. HOPEFULLY it will all go smoothly, but we can't be sure until we try.

I'll be getting a listing of all the Ghibli films that my family owns tomorrow and so I'll throw up a multi-choice poll sometime tomorrow night to begin voting on which ones we'll watch. Odds are I'll be trying to stream my laptop through my big tv for this (since uh HDMi cables and HDTV = whynot), so I'll be connecting via phone to chat with you grubs for the duration.

Unless anybody knows any way I can livestream from my ps3, which would be ideal for the super sexy HD ability of that along with blu-ray quality films (since I think we have a few of them in blu-ray...)

REGARDLESS. Sound off if you'd be down for this! Bring popcorn, and jump in for one movie, two movies, or all three! We likely won't do more than 3 (MAYYYYBE 4 if totoro is one of them since that one's barely a film) but we also might do another to pick up some other films at a later date if there's enough interest in this.

If you have never seen any Studio Ghibli films, or you've only seen one or two, you should definitely come. These are films everyone should see at least once in their lives.

PS. We'll be watching in English audio (which is really good on these films so stfu for even thinking otherwise; I heard those groans) so don't worry about having to read icky subtitles. :3

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#2 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

Japanese audio for Ghibli films is better because the directors, writers, and producers are in the recording room with the voice actors actually directing them, so they're more true to the original spirit of the story. FLCL english audio benefited from a Japanese VA director working with the translators and English VA directors. Cowboy Bebop and GitS are the only other good English dubs!

But okay.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#3 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

English audio ghibli films are absolutely fine. I'm always up for movie nights.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#4 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Well I put subtitles up anyway even if English because sometimes I hear people just fine but my mind doesn't translate the noise into words I understand.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Japanese audio for Ghibli films is better because the directors, writers, and producers are in the recording room with the voice actors actually directing them, so they're more true to the original spirit of the story. FLCL english audio benefited from a Japanese VA director working with the translators and English VA directors. Cowboy Bebop and GitS are the only other good English dubs!

But okay.

Rurouni Kenshin?

147.png

#6 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

Rurouni Kenshin?

Sure, babe. I've never seen more than one episode of it but it's alright. I think all the 90s dubbed anime were pretty good, or maybe it's our childhood memories of them that make them golden. Yu-Yu Hakusho for me, for example. I can't really imagine it sounding good in other than English. But it probably has good Japanese audio if I check.

Edited by Waker, 07 February 2013 - 11:44 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#7 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

So turns out we only have three miyazaki films though I SWEAR we had Howl too... so castle in the sky, totoro, and spirited away. That's the lineup unless I can find howl tomorrow. :\

a5g7ld.gif

#8 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

So turns out we only have three miyazaki films though I SWEAR we had Howl too... so castle in the sky, totoro, and spirited away. That's the lineup unless I can find howl tomorrow. :\

I don't think we have Howl. I want Howl, but I don't think we have it.

Sure, babe. I've never seen more than one episode of it but it's alright.

*dies*

yeah, Yu Yu Hakusho is good in english. I've tried to watch Bebop in Japanese. I can't.

147.png

#9 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I have Howl losers.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#10 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

You're doin this just for me aren't ya? Bringing back Movie Night for my Birthday. Aww yeah. You're all welcome.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#11 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

When are we doing this?

147.png

#12 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Iggy said ~9 PM tonight, but idk where he is. o_o

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#13 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Iggy said ~9 PM tonight, but idk where he is. o_o

IGGY IS DEAAAAAAD

But anyway, yeah what's up with the stream? D:

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#14 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Firefox was being a butt and failed to update or someshit but it's running now.

We's gna strt w/ toto n den do da sprtz.

I'll make a post here betwixt movies (and roll around in the sb for a bit) so that peeps are aware of the fact we're changing movies in case you have no soul and hate Totoro for some reason which would be like waaat y u h8 toto hez da bomb son

ps: link- http://www.livestream.com/kgstreams

I tried embedding it on the index and it didn't work. Sorry bros. D:

a5g7ld.gif

#15 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Totoro just ended~

Spirited Away will be starting up shortly~

a5g7ld.gif

#16 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

IGGY YOU SAID SHORTLY.

Wake up from your nap you dweb.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#17 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I WANT A REFUND. THIS PRODUCT WAS ADVERTISED FALSELY AND I WAS NOT PROVIDED WITH THE SECOND MOVIE LISTED IN THE DUAL PACKAGE DEAL.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#18 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

ALL MY TIME PRECIOUS TIME.

So I'm all for tomorrow as replacement. But consider this strike one. :D

Zanca327.png

#19 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'M SORRY EVERYTHING LOOKED RIGHT ON MY END SO I THOUGHT IT WAS WORKING WHEN I PLAYED THE MOVIE AT THE APPROPRIATE TIME AND DION EVEN SAID HE WAS READY AND EVERYTHING RIGHT BEFORE I PLAYED IT AND THEN THE GREMLIN'S BEEF NEEDED A RIDE HOME SO I WAS GONE FOR A HALF HOUR WHILE IT WAS PLAYING ON MY LAPTOP TO LITERALLY NO ONE AND WHEN I CAME HOME THE STREAM'S TIMER WAS STILL GOING; IT WAS OVER THREE HOURS AND IT WAS ALL HEY DUDE I'M STILL RUNNING NO WORRIES BUT IT WASN'T.

In short, we're doing Spirited Away tomorrow sometime. Likely sometime between 7 and 10.

a5g7ld.gif

#20 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

OKAY I WILL GIVE YOU ONE MORE CHANCE BUT ONLY BECAUSE I LOVE YOU.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg