The year is in the future; specifics are unimportant to you. The main population of humanity is beginning to believe that we truly are alone in the universe. Government conspiracy theories about Area 51 are a thing of the past. Everyone believes what they say, now. We have mapped out much of the Milky Way Galaxy, and have yet to discover any intelligent life beyond our small little rock.
Interstellar travel is as common and costly as airplane tickets are today. People vacation on worlds several systems over. It's normal. Accepted. You're living in the future.
So who are you, and what is Nercadia?
You are a passenger on a direct flight from Earth to a far-off planet in a far-off system. It's a usual thing. Not your first flight. However, it could very well be your last.
Mid-flight, there's a malfunction in the ship's near-light-speed "warp drive" which causes it to veer dangerously off course. By the time the engineers on-board manage to shut the drive down, you're several clicks away from your intended destination in what is called the dead zone. Ships rarely travel this way, and for good reason. There's nothing out there, save for a few stars with no habitable-zone planets orbiting them. Momentum being conserved, the ship continues its motion, the warp drive no longer working. Before the pilot can redirect the course, the ship is caught in a nearby planet's gravitational field.
A planet that shouldn't be there. One that had never been recorded.
You would be among the survivors of this crash. You might have been a flight attendant, a simple passenger going on vacation, a businessman heading home, or pretty much anything else you like. Heck, you could have even been the ship's pilot. Whoever you were, though, is meaningless, now. Now, you are stranded on a world unlike any you have ever seen. Habitable. Orbiting twin stars. A perpetually red sky. Something screeches overhead. You're standing waist-deep in a marsh of fetid waste.
All you're left wondering is "Where am I?"
How it would work is this:
1. You would have free reign to do literally whatever you would like to do in the confines of reality. The planet would have conditions similar to earth (gravity, atmosphere, etc.) and I would cartograph a full map of the world (which would likely be smaller than Earth), to be included in the first post of the OoC. Points of Interest would be marked on the map by you (in-character) and would subsequently be updated on the map by me.
2. Player death would be allowed IF AND ONLY IF all players involved agree to having it happen. If one player does not agree, some divine intervention would keep the death from happening.
3. You will only have access to materials and tools located on-board the ship. You will start off only with what is directly on your person at the time of the crash, since everyone will be scattered, but all belongings of your character will be somewhere in or around the ship, if you look hard enough.
4. I'll have an idea of mysteries and such of this planet, and you may or may not stumble upon them as you progress in your exploration of the world. Again, you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT with this information. You may tell others, you may keep it for yourself, you may investigate further, whatever. I suggest creating a character with motives and personality that mesh well with how you personally would want to play in a setting like this.
5. I, as GM, would NOT have ANY characters in the story. I might make NPC's like the pilot if nobody takes him/her, but yeah. I will largely be on the outside, looking in. I would make posts to resolve actions you take and places you go and explore.
6. YOU WILL DESCRIBE THIS WORLD as you progress through it. I will give broad, sweeping explanations of the area. YOU can then give it more specific detail as you move through it. You CAN find useful items (within reason) as you progress, WITHOUT me telling you that you found it. For example, if you're in a forest, you can find twigs on the ground to start a fire without me saying a word. If you're near a stream, you could find fishes in there, no problem. I'll just describe the fauna and flora in each different biome you discover, as they are discovered, so as to keep the world's appearance cohesive. Beyond that, however, it would be LARGELY your world to create and interact with. This is vital to the roleplay's success, since anyone who joins would be primarily responsible for keeping it moving. I'll do big things such as skip time if everybody is conked out or what have you, and I'll ambush people with creatures and make you SUDDENLY FALL DOWN AN EMBANKMENT or stuff like that, but I would very rarely (if ever) stifle you from creating the world's minute details as you see fit.
It would be a very open world which would reward exploration and "punish" stagnancy (though stagnancy due to a camp is different than stagnancy due to fear of moving anywhere). There would be no literal "end" in mind, but by your actions you guys might produce your own "ending" that causes us to be able to close the thread and be happy with how things turned out.
I think that's enough info to get people to understand what I'd be planning. It draws heavily on Dion's idea he posted up here recently, though this idea cracks the whole thing WIDE open and makes it a more... open world exploration without any really previously-defined plot. YOU GUYS would define and describe the plot. Maybe one person makes this dude who is actually a real d-bag who goes around and fucks shit up or takes this opportunity to pull some horrible things on the other survivors, macking on the ladies and slapping on the guys or whatever.
Not sure how well something like this would go down over here, but I think it could be an interesting change of pace from everything else. It would require such minimal work on my end that I could totally run it concurrently with Heroes of Milencia without it really interfering at all, if people want it.
oh yeah and a temp would look something like:
Age: (how old you are in Earth years; for the sake of the RP people age along with Earth years, regardless where they go in the universe. YES WE ARE IGNORING SPECIAL RELATIVITY FIGHT ME BITCH.)
Occupation: (ANYTHING within reason, according to age)
Other: (including anything outside the ordinary - toiletries, clothes, electronics - in your bags; though this can be omitted if you prefer it to be a secret... you would just need to PM it to me, in case someone NOT NAMED YOU discovers YOUR bags)