Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

318998_375164655900416_1851_5951.gif
Pronounced "Ruby"

Probably not many of you follow the interweb people called Roosterteeth. They're most famous for their Red Versus Blue Machinima made from in-game usage of different versions of Halo from CE all the way up to Halo 4. The series took on a life of its own, but is winding down soon.

Machinima is basically videos/episodes/shows created using footage captured from video games.

Anyway, their resident animator Monty Oum is creating a new animated series that they've been teasing since some time last year. It is called RWBY in reference to the names of the four main characters which they are revealing one by one. The names share the first letter of their dominant color, which is seen in the teaser image.

On November 5th there was a trailer posted for the first girl named Ruby, or Red.

And today came the trailer for Weiss, or White.

Both of these are, in my opinion, beautiful in every way. Music, animation, and fluidity are just absolutely breathtaking. The character designs so far are really cool, as are the weapons.

Ruby carries a High Velocity Sniper Scythe, and Weiss carries a Rapier with a revolver-like barrel that seems to augment and change which type of magic she is able to wield. No plot details are forthcoming as of yet, but I feel this may be something to keep on your radar. I'll update when Black and Yellow's trailers are released. The series is set to commence around July this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest

White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test

Black the beast descends from shadows

Yellow beauty burns gold

The series itself won't be as action packed as the trailers have been. Red Versus Blue turned into a very thought provoking series investigating deep themes in humanity and other aspects. There's reason to believe that RWBY will continue this trend instead of being a quasi-lolli-girl-beat-em-up.

147.png

#2 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Monty Oum did Dead Fantasy, right?

He's pretty damn good at animation, so I'll definitely check this out (when I'm not sitting in a classroom).

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#3 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yes. He did Dead Fantasy. This is better than Dead Fantasy. Like 100x better than Dead Fantasy.

147.png

#4 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I saw the "Ruby" trailer after a friend showed me. Love the style they are aiming for. Can't wait to see the final product and more trailers-- whichever comes first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#5 KershaFangs

KershaFangs

Page

• Page
  • 212 posts
  • The Golden Lycan

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

They are totes fairytales.

#6 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

She's a chick,

no thanks jeff.

a>

#7 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Friggin breathtaking! I love the style of art, I love the animations and the character designs and that music is beautiful. I'll have to keep an eye on this lovely gem.

Edited by The Dream, 15 February 2013 - 12:15 AM.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#8 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I like both characters and the way the fight. Both are really different and something we don't really ever see. Especially Ruby/Red. Her gun transforming so many times is really awesome. She sliced them up real good. Weiss/White was pretty cool too. She took a beating at first though but once she started using her enchantments she kicked some ass. I really love what all she did. Fling the rapier and ice comes popping out from the ground. Then the whole spells or enchants for increased speed and strength and crap, just so damn nice.

I really want to see what the other two will offer so badly now. Can safely assume the third will be using a whip of some variety at least, and that makes her really likeable in my eyes.

I cant wait for more of this. Me and Kain would love to see this become some sort of adventure game were you get to pick one of the four and go down a path fighting enemies and having a whole nice story with it.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#9 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

All four of them are gonna be chicks, Blade. Monty Oum doesn't really do male characters in his animation work. His Dead Fantasy series featured a whole bunch of female characters from Dead or Alive and Final Fantasy (with Kingdom Hearts added in).

After now watching the trailers, I'm moderately impressed. I wouldn't call it flawless, but it's very very pretty. I'm curious where they're gonna take it. I just hope that the shitty movement of the wolves in the Red trailer was just because this is a trailer and not an indicator of how things would be in the full thing.

Also, they confirmed that the characters are NOT based on fairy tales, so you can put that to rest right now. :0

a5g7ld.gif

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

She's a chick,

no thanks jeff.

Ya girls r gross, i feel ya.

I like both characters and the way the fight. Both are really different and something we don't really ever see. Especially Ruby/Red. Her gun transforming so many times is really awesome. She sliced them up real good. Weiss/White was pretty cool too. She took a beating at first though but once she started using her enchantments she kicked some ass. I really love what all she did. Fling the rapier and ice comes popping out from the ground. Then the whole spells or enchants for increased speed and strength and crap, just so damn nice.

I really want to see what the other two will offer so badly now. Can safely assume the third will be using a whip of some variety at least, and that makes her really likeable in my eyes.

I cant wait for more of this. Me and Kain would love to see this become some sort of adventure game were you get to pick one of the four and go down a path fighting enemies and having a whole nice story with it.

Ruby's Scythe works in such a way where she fires off a shot whenever she swings it, because the recoil of the gun coupled with her pulling it makes it move lightning fast, which is really interesting to me. If you watch, every time she swings, she fires off a shot. Oum talked about it in a podcast about this idea of no wasted movements, so everytime she moves she's doing something. Even when she reloads she's using momentum to strike again in some way. Pretty cool.

As far as I know, there are no game assets to come from this. That could always change, but this is going to be an animated series on the web (RT does mostly internet-based videos, and is not a game company). That said, they have an in with Bungie and 343, so who knows what the future may hold for the series. Apparently this is part of Oum's like Magnum Opus he's been brainstorming about for a few years now.

All four of them are gonna be chicks, Blade. Monty Oum doesn't really do male characters in his animation work. His Dead Fantasy series featured a whole bunch of female characters from Dead or Alive and Final Fantasy (with Kingdom Hearts added in).

After now watching the trailers, I'm moderately impressed. I wouldn't call it flawless, but it's very very pretty. I'm curious where they're gonna take it. I just hope that the shitty movement of the wolves in the Red trailer was just because this is a trailer and not an indicator of how things would be in the full thing.

Also, they confirmed that the characters are NOT based on fairy tales, so you can put that to rest right now. :0

It's not flawless, no, but that's also one guy animating everything by himself. The Ruby trailer took him like two months, he said, to finish. He's going to have a staff working on this to get things progressing faster. With RT's generally high quality and Oum's animation I'm sure the final product is going to be a lot more interesting.

The wolves are called Beowolves XD They're a little stilted, but the animation of Ruby is a lot cleaner and this is, i feel, leagues better than his dead fantasy series in terms of quality.

A fun fact about this is that he actually created a world map. The process is outlined -> http://roosterteeth....y.php?id=975270 <- there.

It started with ketchup and a napkin, and Oum swirling it around to create organic continent shapes. I was kind of shocked when I heard him talk about that on the RT podcast. Pretty creative, I feel. A lot of good work is going into this, and I'll try and keep everyone updated as best I can.

If you don't want to read the post or see the ketchup drawing, here's a great nugget of wisdom for world makers out there that I have been preaching in the Walker development, and what I told to Roy when he was talking about his Cowboy Samurai story idea:

... if you figure out the world, geography determines your culture and culture determines your people. And people is what this is all about. Because ultimately if a story doesn't work on a human level then it doesn't work at all.

147.png

#11 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Sup kids.

Black trailer went live today.

Introducing Blake and Adam

147.png

#12 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Blake doesn't seem to be on par with Ruby and Weiss, but Adam is totally on their level.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#13 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not a fan of Adam's voice, but his skills make up for it. Blake is alright, but I imagine she'll grow more powerful over the course of the series. So far, Ruby is my favorite, but I can't wait to see who the last character is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#14 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Blake doesn't seem to be on par with Ruby and Weiss, but Adam is totally on their level.

I feel as if we didn't watch the same trailer. She might not be amazing already but she was kinda hitting the right moves at times.

Blake will probably become stronger and more skilled over time, Adam is awesome already. I have to say though their voices really put me off, so dang much. Blake's one put me off the most because she sounds like she's got some terrible teen voice which doesn't go with her more adorable yet mature look. Maybe it's just the voice actors skills, I dunno.

Edited by The Dream, 22 March 2013 - 08:24 PM.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#15 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

I do agree the voice acting is... not that great in this one. I mean it's also the first one they added voice acting to (unless you count Weiss' song, but I don't) so odds are that when the series is finished the voice overs will be a lot better. They have good voice actors in house. Anyway, all that's left now is Yellow, and there's no timetable for when she'll be shown off yet. The series will be premiered the first week of July though, which is pretty cool.

147.png

#16 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm trying really hard to want to watch this show. But so far I don't like what I see and the character designs don't really interest me. Here's hoping Yellow will change that. I hate to see all this indie effort not entertain me.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#17 Griever

Griever

Squire

• Squire
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

oh good you guys already saw it. Beauty and the beast, or Alice and the white rabbit. Or she could be the opposition to "snow white" 

#18 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

I don't get the Adam love. He's got a normal katana that can be fired off like a gun. Whoopee. Blake has a sword that she wraps with a ribbon, throws behind people, and gunshots it back through them to catch it and kill other dudes. I think you're all just focusing on the fact that Adam uses one super awesome skill once to down the big dude and ignoring all of Blake's maneuvering. Adam is boring, traditional samurai-esque dude. Blake has a broadsword sheath holding a katana that she swings around with a ribbon and pulls the trigger on a gun-like mechanism from a distance.

I mean, her style is more flowy and still very similar to Ruby's, so I think it's silly to say Ruby is better when they're basically the same in fighting style.

a5g7ld.gif

#19 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

I don't get the Adam love. He's got a normal katana that can be fired off like a gun. Whoopee. Blake has a sword that she wraps with a ribbon, throws behind people, and gunshots it back through them to catch it and kill other dudes. I think you're all just focusing on the fact that Adam uses one super awesome skill once to down the big dude and ignoring all of Blake's maneuvering. Adam is boring, traditional samurai-esque dude. Blake has a broadsword sheath holding a katana that she swings around with a ribbon and pulls the trigger on a gun-like mechanism from a distance.

I mean, her style is more flowy and still very similar to Ruby's, so I think it's silly to say Ruby is better when they're basically the same in fighting style.
Blake definitely has more flow to her moves. She even has some instances of pseudo teleportation as well, if not enhanced speed for quick dashes. That said, it looks like her sheathe has a blade to it as well, so she can essentially have two blades as well as a pistol in the handle of her katana. The ribbon is a really cool thing that makes it so she's almost using a sort of kusarigama (Scythe attached to a chain) which is really cool.

I also have to say I fucking love everything about her design aside from her crotch area. I wish there was something purple in her upper body to complement the purple boots/stockings.

Adam, on the other hand, has a weird sort of hair. It almost looks like flower petals, which is a really cool thing with so many flower motifs in this show so far. His mask is also pretty neat, and he has such a Tuxedo Mask air about him that I like. His katana and fighting ability is pretty generic, but effective. He's a pretty interesting male character and I do like the dynamic between him and Blake.

Already this show has done one thing right on Valor's Official Checklist of Awesome in that they perform a train heist/have a train-based segment.

I'm trying really hard to want to watch this show. But so far I don't like what I see and the character designs don't really interest me. Here's hoping Yellow will change that. I hate to see all this indie effort not entertain me.
It's not really indie, so don't worry about that. There's a massive full scale production of this series going on by a very prominent interweb company that is hugely successful.

oh good you guys already saw it. Beauty and the beast, or Alice and the white rabbit. Or she could be the opposition to "snow white" 
Oum said that they are not based on fairy tales, so you really need to stop bringing this up. At the very least, if you were to draw any sorts of parallels to a fairy tale it's definitely Beauty and the Beast.

There's interesting story bits being thrown into this, as well as getting a chance to see some of the landscapes and different parts of the world of RWBY. It's interesting, I think, to try and figure out what the story could possibly be behind this.

A takeaway I have is that they're a part of a rebel faction who is trying to disrupt transportation of military devices from one area to another, perhaps similar to Jet's role in the original Avatar series. He's a devil-may-care attitude and has raw power where she clearly has a more emotional and empathic side, you could say, and worries more about hurting innocent people, even if they're on the opposite side of a war.

How Ruby and Weiss fit in to this is currently up in the air, but it's interesting nonetheless.

147.png

#20 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

There's something that's great and appealing about Adams kind of character (the whole suit thing mostly). It might die out soon, their whole appeal, but at the moment I'm pretty sure it's why most peps like him. Blakes techniques are pretty noticeable but from what I've seen in the video it mostly goes up to there to act as a epic side thing to Adams attacks, like she's a little side-kick. If this was a video with Blake showing off her skill alone I think her attacks would be showcased much better and would probably get more love sent out for her over Adam. That's what I think.

I personally like Blake more than Adam but uh...that voice actor. Even if this was just a little trailer and yada yada yada, I recon it should've been better either way. I really hope we get a nicer performance from the voice actor to make up for this performance which, I think, has really put Blake down.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one