Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

http://io9.com/59882...-the-first-time

This is a pretty big deal, imo.

Methods: Infant exposure to HIV was confirmed through review of maternal HIV antibody and plasma viral load tests, including HIV drug resistance testing. Infant infection was documented using standard HIV DNA polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and plasma viral load. ART administration was confirmed with medical and pharmacy records and maternal report of medication adherence. Persistence of HIV infection following treatment discontinuation was assessed using standard clinical assays that included plasma viral load, proviral DNA, and HIV antibody testing. Ultrasensitive HIV DNA (droplet digital PCR), plasma viral load (single copy) assays, and quantitative co-culture assays were done at age 24 and 26 months to further assess HIV persistence. HLA typing was done to confirm matching of the mother–infant pair.

Results: Maternal infection with wild type subtype B HIV was verified. The mother and infant shared HLA haplotypes. Infant infection was confirmed by positive HIV DNA and RNA testing on 2 separate blood samples obtained on the 2nd day of life. 3 additional plasma viral load tests (days of life 7, 12, and 20) were positive before reaching undetectable levels at age 29 days.

147.png

#2 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

HUGE deal, but I also get the feeling that this is going to cause a lot of people to start using "YOLO" again when it comes to unprotected sex.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#3 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wow, next stop cure for cancer! Please god.

a>

#4 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

HUGE deal, but I also get the feeling that this is going to cause a lot of people to start using "YOLO" again when it comes to unprotected sex.

Except how much will it cost to get the cure? It's still likely a good few years away from being a viable and reliable way to cure HIV, and even then, it's not exactly a guarantee just yet, but the results are very promising.

It's really a groundbreaking little announcement, and I hope all goes well from here on out. HIV/AIDS/Cancer will hopefully be a thing of the past in a few generations. That would be a nice world to live in.

147.png

#5 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

It's simple, we don't treat the Batman.

-x-

There's always asshats like that around the corner. A medical advance like this wouldn't be held back for the possibility of something that silly and inevitable...since, you know, this is just kind of a huge deal. HIV/AIDS sucks, yo. Tons of crap would never be made if it was held back because people would take advantage of it rather than actually need it.

Edited by Dexel, 04 March 2013 - 04:28 PM.

2j87ib.jpg

#6 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Except how much will it cost to get the cure? It's still likely a good few years away from being a viable and reliable way to cure HIV, and even then, it's not exactly a guarantee just yet, but the results are very promising.

Yeah, I was actually discussing this with a friend of mine. Both of us were of the opinion that corporations would do all they could to make the cure so expensive that only people with bank accounts like Mitt Romney could afford it.

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system

#7 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

It's worth noting the fact that this is an infant, and the results are likely reliant on the combination of treatment and the infant's body's resilience. That just means we can weed out the HIV from the infants. We can't yet cure HIV. And I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Edited by Ralor, 04 March 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#8 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, this cure will most likely be able to treat babies BORN WITH HIV.

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#9 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Every step towards a cure is good. No need to get weigh hope down with "realism" which actually could be a false as the hope you're pushing aside, HIV is a bad thing worth having hope towards its cure. I was linked to a google page with articles all over it the other day but I never got around to looking at most of the articles with much depth. Babies are miniature humans and even though there are more biological differences between more developed humans it doesn't mean that this link can't help find a cure for people of different ages.

Edited by The Dream, 05 March 2013 - 01:04 AM.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Yeah. It's a step in the right direction and really a breakthrough in general that they'd use the word cured for anything related to HIV. HIV also breaks down and attacks your immune system, so even a child or a baby can't fight it off without help. It's a significant achievement, and I agree that it's silly to downplay it as it'll amount to nothing. Positive results are positive results.

147.png

#11 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

It's worth noting the fact that this is an infant, and the results are likely reliant on the combination of treatment and the infant's body's resilience. That just means we can weed out the HIV from the infants. We can't yet cure HIV. And I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Thanks, Ral, for killing the mood.

Oh wait.....

#12 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm not saying it's not great. I'm just saying it's not OH MY GOD WE CURED HIV it's more like oh, cool, we got rid of this babies HIV. We need to ACTUALLY understand the ENTIRE SET of circumstances before we get too excited. For all we know this could be a one-time thing. There are so many varieties of HIV it's ridiculous. The outer shell of the virus is constantly mutating. Evolving. I'm not saying it's not progress. I'm saying we need to understand: This isn't LEAPS AND BOUNDS of success, this is a small step towards success. We have to MAKE it leaps and bounds. We still have to work on things.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#13 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm not saying it's not great. I'm just saying it's not OH MY GOD WE CURED HIV it's more like oh, cool, we got rid of this babies HIV. We need to ACTUALLY understand the ENTIRE SET of circumstances before we get too excited. For all we know this could be a one-time thing. There are so many varieties of HIV it's ridiculous. The outer shell of the virus is constantly mutating. Evolving. I'm not saying it's not progress. I'm saying we need to understand: This isn't LEAPS AND BOUNDS of success, this is a small step towards success. We have to MAKE it leaps and bounds. We still have to work on things.

Compared to previous progress (see: none), I see no reason to not see this as a leap. Yes, we have a ways to go, but I also guarantee you decades ago if you told someone you could manage this they would shut the front door and call the police to carry you off to the loony bin. And nobody explicitly said we cured HIV; that's honestly a bit pompous and arrogant. It's the mere fact that we can even make steps towards a cure that's blowing people's minds - for years, if you had HIV, you were fucked. Now, you just may have a ray of hope on seeing a cure.

TL;DR: and your interjection served what purpose?

2j87ib.jpg

#14 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

every cure begins with a step. Remember polio? First breakthrough happened in 1950, 1962 was when the vaccine was basically "done". While this is a breakthrough on a small scale, there's still a lot of work to be done. No one is claiming everything is 100% cured game over let's go home. We're saying it's pretty monumental in that it's a step towards possibly developing something to combat HIV.

147.png

#15 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Just to clarify Ralor's point because he's ignoring the actual truth of the situation and just making silly assumptions:

What they did had absolutely nothing to do with a specific strain of HIV. They added antiretrovirals into a baby's developing body and, within 29 days, the HIV had been reduced to untraceable levels. It's the same way most viruses are treated. They added the stuff before HIV could even take hold on the baby's system. What this allowed was the ARV was able to hinder HIV's growth and allow the body to naturally develop antibodies and fight off the infection on its own. That is precisely how all viruses are stopped. Vaccines do not cure viruses. They weaken viruses to the point that the body itself can fight them off. Someone in the comments on that article made mention of the HIV being "in remission" which is not the case here. The HIV was completely eliminated from the system. Not made dormant. Eliminated. If there was a relapse, I, personally, would be shocked.

To downplay this experiment and its results as being a small step is a GROSS underestimation. This is a giant leap toward an eventual cure. This proves that the body CAN fight off HIV, with support. The work that will be needed in order to turn the ARV into something which can work when HIV has already gotten a hold on someone is astronomical, yes, but we now know that, if we can merely weaken the HIV, the human body can fight it off all on its own. This is something most people sort of knew, but nobody really had any concrete proof of this until now.

I'd also like to point out that this is NOT the first breakthrough in the treatment of HIV. A man in Germany was cured of HIV in 2007. This is the first time it was cured in a child. This makes TWO breakthroughs, and the first of the two that was documented scientifically (as in; it's possible for this procedure to be repeated and the results to be tested). Link to the other article: http://www.reuters.c...E6BE68220101215

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#16 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Oh shit, I remember that article with the bone marrow stuff. I remember thinking that it was pretty brilliant, but the process is kind of ridiculous and impractical.

Bone marrow transplants are >____> not... good...

They ARE good, but they're like... life threatening like whoa. IMO worse than heart transplants.

147.png

#17 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Bone marrow transplants are always extremely risky, and finding a suitable donor is hardly an easy task, either (you're especially screwed if you're a minority in the US due to a rather small registry database). Supposing you do find someone whose cells won't be rejected by the patient's system or vice versa, if I remember correctly, one must first "eradicate" the patient's immune system (for lack of a better word), putting them at high risk of infection from just about any sort of bacteria or what have you. I suppose it's like trying to transplant an organ from one person to another, but even more severe with potential rejection symptoms and requires even more scrutiny on making sure the matches fit as much as possible, not to mention the period of time they'll spend with the patient in isolation.

I don't know most of the details, though - I just know they save that procedure for when there is literally no other choice and the patient's life is already in mortal peril. What I do know is from my mom's friend Al mentioning his father having leukemia and undergoing the procedure. At any rate, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Basically, while this isn't the first time HIV has been cured, it's giant step towards a less risky, more compatible, and eventually more affordable method, then. Doesn't take much punch from this headline, however.

Edited by Dexel, 06 March 2013 - 04:30 PM.

2j87ib.jpg