• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I recently contacted a dude on craigslist that's selling this marvelous piece of metal http://imgur.com/a/S0klF#0 for $3550. He took the deal off the table last night but put it back on after another interested buyer withdrew.

But there's a problem. The car is in Wyoming and the seller wants to ship it from there. (No additional charges.)  As you can imagine, this makes me a little suspicious. You never know when a Craigslist post is not trustworthy. I contacted him about this, and he sent me the following reply: 

"Due to the urgent nature of sale, the acquisition process will be conducted through the third party payment platform provided by Google Checkout. They basically implement a secure and controlled environment that allows the payment transfer between buyer and seller. Please note that a refundable deposit will be paid (50% of the total price), as proof of your intention to complete the purchase transaction. The money will be held in trust by Google Checkout."

How does this sound to you guys? I don't know if I should trust him on this matter or just not go through with the process. Any advice would be appreciated. :/

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

how do you ship a car

147.png

#3 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

"I'm active duty in the US Army, stationed at Casper, WY. to complete the pre-deployment training program. The car is stored on a small military facility. It has been prepared for immediate transportation, but it can also be picked up from the base, as long as you'll be able to come here in the next 2 days. If you can't manage to come here before I'll be moved to my next duty station, the car can be transported by a military carrier (transportation charges are included in the selling price). To eliminate any concerns, you will have a 5 days inspection period, prior purchase approval."

dis here

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#4 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well, the idea is you make a 50% deposit (refundable) and then when you get the car, you'd pay the other 50%. It's  handled through a neutral third party (Google Checkout) so that your seller can't renege on the deal and NOT refund the 50% in the case that you don't get the car.

I mean, yeah, it sounds fishy, but I dunno. It might be legit.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

You aren't gonna be able to ask for a shipped receipt before you pay a dime. That isn't how transactions work. You should always be wary of buying things online, so maybe you should get a pair and go shop at a used car lot in-state or find a place selling used car nearby that you can go and look at.

I don't recommend buying cars online.

147.png

#6 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

"I'm active duty in the US Army, stationed at Casper, WY. to complete the pre-deployment training program. The car is stored on a small military facility. It has been prepared for immediate transportation, but it can also be picked up from the base, as long as you'll be able to come here in the next 2 days. If you can't manage to come here before I'll be moved to my next duty station, the car can be transported by a military carrier (transportation charges are included in the selling price). To eliminate any concerns, you will have a 5 days inspection period, prior purchase approval."

Don't do it, these exact lines were on the news the other day about scammers taking peoples money. They use the US Army thing to make them sound reliable. Don't believe me, then go " buy " the car.

a>

#7 Midnight

Midnight

Page

• Page
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Don't do it, these exact lines were on the news the other day about scammers taking peoples money. They use the US Army thing to make them sound reliable. Don't believe me, then go " buy " the car.

Yeah, that part reeked of bullshit.

death-note-l-3_facebook_timeline_cover.j

"There are many types of monsters in this world, monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble. Monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood, and, monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance, they are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans, even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat, even though they've never experienced hunger. They study even though the have no interest in academics. They seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it, because in truth, I am that monster."

-L

#8 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

^ this

Google searched and got a hit instantly

147.png

#9 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I JUST sent him the email calling the deal off. :P

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#10 Griever

Griever

Squire

• Squire
  • 511 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Good boy.

*scratches behind his ears*

#11 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

We should saved your life.

Now suck us off.

a>

#12 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ya'kno. I really was wondering about that whole army thing, but no one else was mentioning it. So, I was wondering if it was just me being very distrusting.

But like... Why is the US army going to care to drag around your car from place to place until you sell it. Like, really. You are there for THEM. They have much more things to worry about than holding your car for you to sell it, I'd think. Do you know the trouble they'd have to go through if several people wanted the same thing? Plus, all that fun legal and insurance stuff. And anyway. "Okay, so what if I don't need to use the military transport and such? Can I get that money back, since it's included in the price and would be unnecessary?"

Idk, it just seemed silly.

I know the whole Google Checkout thing was mentioned, and that's kind of what had me swaying a bit. But, I was wondering if there would be something with that as well where they might work around it.

I still don't know if that part would be legit and just not refunded, butttt....

Yeah.

I'm really glad you didn't lose a lot of money to a scam. D:

I haven't seen this on the news myself, but it's interesting to know that it's a top Google result if you search it. Wow.

Personally, I'm picky even when it comes to Amazon. >_>

I sort of refused to use it for the longest. Especially with knowing you can get something and it's not what you expect, it's messed up, maybe you don't get it at all, blahblahblah... and that a lot of stuff comes from people using Amazon to sell their stuff.... Ehhhhhhhh.

Right now, I'm a vexed over a $9 + shipping order for a used copy of CoM for Kai. Amazon is going to want me to contact the seller directly first, so I sent an e-mail. They have no more than 2 days to reply, at which point Amazon had better fix this.

You can maybe imagine how I would be with larger sums.

Bleh, this is why, even with finally having warmed up to Amazon, I really only like to buy items that are "Sold and shipped by Amazon."

Posted Image