• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

I'm thinking about buying an actual website for music stuffz. I'm not looking for any forums or any super flashy stuff just a website that I own and have control to.

Now. I'm very ignorant to website buying and designing it, so I need someone to give me tips or something. 

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

You can do something simple like a blogspot or something that's rather low maintenance and comes with a few basic pre-made themes. Otherwise if you want to build from scratch you'll need to learn some HTML and CSS to make things look perdy, or get someone to help you out with the basic design of it. If you have access to something like Dreamweaver, it may be a bit easier.

147.png

#3 Shino

Shino

Ex-Admin

• Paladin
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think you could make a tumblr too. People get hot with the music off tumblr easily these days. (ASAP Rocky, Kitty, Danny Brown, Vinny Chase etc.) and you can network with a lot of other up and comers.

http://www.knightly-...line=1346227521

Life is but a handful of dust - ANTHM

3 Years Gone. Still missing you, my dear friend. R.I.P Tynielle Silvera.

#4 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Yeah. I guess I'll just stick to something that's easier to use. Plus social networks aren't that bad. >.> I was considering a Blogspot but I don't think that'll do justice, while a Tumblr would do a little bit more plus it's better known.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

Yeah, I agree. Tumblarg is basically the blogspot of 2012, more or less. It's best to stay as current as possible, and it's a decent way to grow your "brand"? "identity"? Probably the easiest way to get out there.

147.png

#6 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

Yeah, I agree. Tumblarg is basically the blogspot of 2012, more or less. It's best to stay as current as possible, and it's a decent way to grow your "brand"? "identity"? Probably the easiest way to get out there.

Not the best, easiest yes. Exposure wise? not even close.

a>

#7 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Not the best, easiest yes. Exposure wise? not even close.

Care to elaborate on the "not even close" part here?

Tumblr automatically puts search results on google. It has built-in features to network with other artists, as Shino pointed out. It's incredibly simple and grotesquely popular right now. And if he hooks up a twitter feed as well and uses the two in tandem (making posts on tumblr and shouting them out on twitter with links), it becomes very simple to get his name and site out there.

My two cents, Kingypoo: Spending money for a professionally-designed and operated content site is silly without having a fanbase that will actually be following and paying attention to the stuff you post about. You want people already on your side who will be sharing your content with their friends before you go about actually spending money on a site like that.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#8 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Care to elaborate on the "not even close" part here?

Tumblr automatically puts search results on google. It has built-in features to network with other artists, as Shino pointed out. It's incredibly simple and grotesquely popular right now. And if he hooks up a twitter feed as well and uses the two in tandem (making posts on tumblr and shouting them out on twitter with links), it becomes very simple to get his name and site out there.

My two cents, Kingypoo: Spending money for a professionally-designed and operated content site is silly without having a fanbase that will actually be following and paying attention to the stuff you post about. You want people already on your side who will be sharing your content with their friends before you go about actually spending money on a site like that.

Tumblr does not " automatically " put search results on google, that requires backlinks from high PR sites. I can create a myspace page and have it linked onto google with high PR. But that doesn't even mean anything. Tumblr has many many many restrictions when it comes to things, for an example it doesn't allow an extent amount of html, php lol forget it. If you are planning or doing a music based site you'll want to insert your music as well as have ratings and comments, tumblr restricts many things RELATED to that.

Tumblr CAN get your site on google but it will be viewed as a social site rather than a serious professional site. Not only that but it won't put your tumblr top 10,20, or even 30 without optimization and professional work. This is why people have blogs first, then have stuff like tumblr, google+ and digg accounts. Tumblr and other social sites always link back to your blog, so your blog gets the credit for the source, hence you going up in google.

There are just too many restrictions from tumblr,

You must be logged in to even comment and view some of the videos, you have to be logged in to share the users posts, videos or other images. If you want to become successful by doing it the tumblr way, then you are in for a long period of waiting. You can ask any webmaster that.

a>

#9 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Idk why editing is broke on this site but, to add to above.

Having a tumblr isn't bad, even I have a tumblr for EO. The only problem with tumblr is that TUMBLR gets all the credit. With my blog attached to my tumblr everything goes back to my blog/site, I get the backlink credit and pr rank rather than tumblr taking all the credit.. By having that, my blog is going to increase in google faster than anywhere else. Tumblr will not help you with anything like that, it is nice to have to share your articles and get backlinks and pr, but SOLELY using it as a blog is just stupid IF you want to get exposure from fans in your related topic field.

a>