27 replies to this topic

#1 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Alright, since we expressed interest in this idea, let's actually act on it. What we have so far is that we want a superhero RP set in a fantasy world. We need to decide how developed tech/magic is at the start of the RP. Would it be common and accepted by the general public, or would its secrets be available to a select few and even be the source of some characters "super powers."

Also, we need to world build as well. The best part about a fantasy setting is the world it's set in, imo. Would our characters be all citizens of a kingdom that has found itself in internal turmoil? Or are they preparing for a foreign invasion that threatens their freedom? Heck, it could be both but we need to make the world first.

There's a bunch of other stuff we need to consider and talk about but I can't list them all down at the moment, mainly due to the fact that I'm posting from my campus' computer station and I'm just bored atm. So, fellow Knights, ideas? 

DHHIpKN.png

#2 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

A long time ago, there existed people who could bend the forces of nature to their whim using a supernatural force. While more powerful than your average Human, there were no physical features that indicated a difference between the two groups except the color of their blood. These special Humans had blue blood, which is how they got the name, Blue Bloods. Being as powerful as they were, it was rare to see their blood so most remained hidden in plain sight. 

Eventually two warring factions of Blue Bloods came along, the Divinity and the Grand Lords. The Divinity wanted to enslave Humanity as worshipers to do their bidding while the Grand Lords sought to work with Humans to secure a prosperous future. The war lasted for years until all of the Divinity were eradicated. While saving Humanity, the cost was great as many Blue Bloods perished as well as Humans in destructive battles that ruined the land. The Grand Lords overlooked the world as protectors and guiding lights to a bright future. With their help, they created the Prometheus Device to manipulate the same forces of energy that the Blue Bloods use. They gathered and store these energies into what are now called Daedalus crystals which would be used as power sources. Eventually, mankind began transcending in technology while Blue Bloods began to advance again in growth. 

After advancing in technology, mankind began to proceed in war and harsh acts of violence against each other in the name of pride, greed, and fear. The Grand Lords came down on Humanity, enforcing world laws to ensure peace but this meant nothing to those the most corrupted. Eventually the Grand Lords was wrapped in war with  mankind as kingdom after kingdom joined together to eradicate their "oppressors." The Grand Lords were winning the war for a while but the tides turned when mankind discovered a way to weaken Blue Bloods through the use of man-made crystals formed through the use of the waste made by the Prometheus Device. These crystals were called Ikaras. When near an ikaras crystal, Blue Bloods powers weaken tremendously and prolonged exposure begins to make them ill. There were even rumors that in contact with their blood, it turns it crimson red like that of a mortals. 

The Grand Lords despite their valiant efforts, eventually lost to Humanity and were eradicated from the world. Soon after that, Humanity turned it's eyes to Blue Bloods. Fearing that another oppressive faction would rise up, Humanity began a holocaust against Blue Bloods, killing the majority of them behind closed doors or locking them up until they died. 

Humanity continued to advance in technology and in modern times they have trains, complex architecture, magic-based weaponry, and more. However, socially, Humanity has progress only so much. Wars still happen, avarice and arrogance are common and fear drive men to do the most heinous of things....

In modern times, there's a group of Blue Bloods living in the second largest kingdom hidden among mankind. They formed a secret society called the Light in which they work together to bring Blue Bloods back into being accepted by mankind as well as carry on the torch from the Grand Lords, who have descendants in the Light. Initially they do nothing but influence the world and protect other Blue Bloods but after word of a doomsday weapon being built by the kingdom, they have taken to more physical approaches.

Unknown to them, Blue Bloods have infiltrated the upper echelons of the kingdom. These Blue Bloods are descendants of The Divinity and hope to enslaves Humanity or destroy them if need be to secure a future for Blue Bloods. They call themselves the Dragon's Order and work actively for their goals. In fact, the weapon of mass destruction was their doing through the works of their leader who is the acting Chancellor. They plan to use this weapon to insight a war which would destroy the two most powerful kingdoms and then use the weapon as deterrence for all those that oppose the newly formed Divinity. 

----

The Light's field forces, the Keepers, comprise of men and women from different backgrounds with combat capabilities both physical and magic. They all wear a mask to conceal their identities as well as long black cloaks. Generally they carry light equipment because they need to be fast and on the move. Through the use of the Light's archive they have been trained in classes of magic such as pyromancy, cryomancy, aeromancy, arcane, or curative. All members have been trained in the magic of flying as well as barrier-creation, which gives them the ability to move fast while still being able to take hits. 

Some members carry light swords or sabers, other carry strictly daggers, and there are even some who carry small staffs. To assist in stealth, they're all trained to summon and teleport their weapons to and away from them through the use of Daedalus crystals embedded in their weapons. Like all Blue Bloods, they can only do so much before tiring themselves out but they have trained enough to be able to take part in combat a bit longer. 

----

That's just some crap I brainstormed. 

Edited by Kingroy, 19 September 2014 - 11:13 PM.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#3 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Definitely brings a very X-Men feel to it (i don't read enough Marvel to make a better comparison :v). I think we could integrate parts of it to the story, like a first major arc or something. However, I do feel that while having everyone as part of the Keepers is a safe bet, I think it's kinda limiting to the character creation. Or it may just be me, idk. Anyway, here's my write-up which I modified so that it can incorporate other elements to it.

~

Long before during time immemorial, man had emerged victorious from the grips of strife and war against the elements of nature under the leadership of the Eternal Emperor, who wielded power unmatched. The people under his Eternal Holiness prospered and their culture spread throughout the continent of Catalia. This was the first civilization of humankind and the greatest conquerors of all known history. Savagelands and heathen circles on the continent were quickly subdued and assimilated into the ever expanding Empire. Even foreign powers could not individually stop the Eternal Emperor until they formed a coalition that effectively sealed off Catalia from the rest of the world. This did not matter, for the Emperor's holy lands were rich with resources and artifacts of power. All of this was possible through the secret arts wielded by the Emperor and his chosen few.

However, the earth and the ocean and the sky paid with blood to give birth to the Eternal Empire long before it had expanded its borders. For you see, man cannot wield magic without assistance. The use of tomes and wands and other catalysts merely help humans tap into a force that they themselves had created: Magick, a science of sin that had stolen from Catalia itself. The land of Catalia was the birthright to a people that seem to be mere myth now but their legacy lives on in the technology and Magick used by modern man. Their names may be forgotten but their secrets are still sought after.

But even mountains must fall to the test of time. The mortal body of the Eternal Emperor had succumbed to sickness but his spirit of leadership and his sacred power was passed on to his bloodline. Each descendant of his Eternal Holiness was as strong as he was. And herein lies the problem. The Emperor was without match but the same could not be said for his greed-filled sons and daughters. The Eternal War saw the end of the Empire and the secrets of true magic lost once more. In the Empire's wake rose various kingdoms, some led by bright-eyed revolutionists and others led by the same imperialists loyal to the Highcrown, no matter who is wearing it.

Now, why must I retell you a tale that even the youngest of minds should know of. Simply put, my dear Rogue, it's to show you that the land has always been taken by force. You and I are mere citizens yet the opportunity has presented itself that we take control of Catalia and give the power to the people. For you see, I have found the secrets of true magic. Join me in brotherhood and we shall rise to liberate our rightful land from our oppressors, else we die as mere pawns in their games of pointless struggle!

~

Incorporating both write-ups, barring any objections, the current time line goes "Divinity/Grand Lord War" -> "Grand Lord/Blueblood Persecution" -> "Rise of the Eternal Empire/Birth of Magick" -> "Eternal War" -> "Present", which currently has various kingdoms with different plots. Rogues and Keepers could be two different factions even.

Oh and yeah, Magick will be man made while Magic is the real stuff :v

Edited by Wynn, 07 July 2014 - 09:51 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#4 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

So wait. Your write up exists in the middle of my write up lol? o,O Catalia is a sealed off land? Am I getting this right?

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#5 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, basically I mixed both stories. And by sealed off, I'm basically saying we're part of a bigger world but no offshore adventures because everyone else hates this land because of the crazy people that run it :v

Oh wait, I meant both stories are true but their told by different people.

Edited by Wynn, 07 July 2014 - 09:18 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#6 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I'm gonna ignore everything said in this thread for the following write up based on my ideas of "superhero in fantasy setting".

By fantasy I assume sword and shield medieval setting. Superpowers can clearly come in the form of magic. Traditional superheroes would have a power or a mutation or maybe several. Being able to fly, jump, turn into fire, etc. Superhero is a modern idea. Fantasy is not. People who are attuned to magic can be considered to be "super" powered as well, so I would go with magicked peoples. What if these people are newly awakened? What if they got their ability from some strange alien force? There's a lot of places to go with it depending on the tech level implemented.

Now I'm going to read the thread and add more two cents:

Blue Bloods stuff is interesting, but a bit all over the place in terms of reality and science fiction. Harnessing this mystical power of the blue bloods to create MacGuffins seems a little silly to me.

I did like how the blue bloods were considered gods at one point, and that could be an interesting way to go about finding these people or seeing where and how they slot into the world. If they were gods, or perhaps touched by the gods in some way, that could explain their gifts and powers.

However, it's always possible to go the Star Wars route and make them all draw from the same source of power.

I think you/we would need to nail down WHAT these powers are and then figure out WHERE they could come from. Are they born with it? Are they humans? Are they another race? Is it genetic? Random Chance? touched by a l'cie? All of these things could and should be considered, to be honest, before you start trying to figure out what world it would all fit into.

Personally I like the idea of people being granted the gifts of the gods, or maybe the gods realm is being reborn, and these people were "randomly" chosen by destiny to take up arms in a fight for "Mount Olympus" and all that.

That could be kind of cool.

147.png

#7 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

My personal idea was, and we definitely don't have to roll with this, the supernatural "force" being aether/mana. I like the name aether but we'll just call it mana to shorten it up for now. Mana would be a powerful force that could drastically alter the elements, perform supernatural feats, and even manipulate aspects of life and death. Mana is still being studied in their modern times but there's not too much information on it. Humanity's most solid theory is that mana comes from the core of the Earth. The Divinity and Grand Lords, along with other faction of Blue Bloods of their time, realized that mana had limits despite it being such a powerful force. It can't create an organic being, it can't bend time, and it can't be destroyed.

Mana is naturally invisible to the naked eye but a Blue Blood can see it through a "third eye." or simply feel it in the environment. When Blue Bloods absorb mana it consistently turns their blood blue, giving them their name. For whatever reason, one could argue the reason being simply genetics, the exhaust of mana that spouts from a Blue Blood's pores may come out a different color than blue. Some show red, others show green or yellow, and some even release a black colored exhaust. 

A Blue Blood does not die from a lack of mana in their body but it does make them sickly as their body becomes used to it. This is why most Blue Bloods are very conscious of the mana they use. While they can forcefully gather it back into their bodies, without proper training and the right area as well as the severity of their loss of mana, it may not be effective enough. 

----

Magic comes in different classes....

Elemental: The use of mana to manipulate the elemental forces. (Ex. Pyromancy, Cryomancy, Hydromancy, Electromancy, Aeromancy)

Arcane: The use of mana to directly interact the environment as opposed to manipulating an elemental force to interact with the environment. (Ex. magic blasts, magic-based form of Telekinesis, magic beams, magic shock waves, summoning, teleporting).

Construct: The use of mana to form mana-constructs(pretty much magical Green Lantern).

Curative: The use of mana to heal the body of illness and disease.

Ailment: The use of mana to weaken the body.

Illusion: Sister class of magic to the Construct class, Illusion is about constructing non-solid objects for the purpose of tricking the enemy. 

Enhancement: The use of mana to enhance one's physical features(ex. super strength, super speed, durability) 

These are all found in the books of the Grand Lords who began thoroughly studying magic after their win against the Divinity. 

Edited by Kingroy, 08 July 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#8 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

This is all based off the fact that I originally wanted humans to be not magically attuned.

I was personally going for Magick (with a k because that's how we roll) as the human based arts that people use by tapping into an artificial force, based on advancements in studying Prometheus Devices/Daedelus Crystals/Ikaras/other non-human artifacts. Like, imagine if each domain had like a tower that perpetuated a source of artificial aether/mana that could be tapped by humans if people had a specialized wand/staff/tome/etc. I personally like the idea that some regular people could have spells so that they don't seem as special, at first glance.

Now, that's "fake magic." Real magic could be the stuff the Blueblood used and are kept secret, and should definitely be way more powerful. As for how Bluebloods' powers work, I don't really have any good ideas for it. I'll leave it to you guys but I think Bluebloods should definitely not be humans and be an entirely different race, though they may look similar.

DHHIpKN.png

#9 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

I like where this is going. Not going to lie my first thought was "Materia?" but it's a very interesting system and I think it could work very well. The story element definitely needs to be put in a form that's more comprehensible, but from what I understand this could be very interesting. I also think that the players should have ability to join even the "Evil" forces, because I have noticed that the less people there are to "GM" an opposing force the more likely an RP is to die. The only problem I see is that people would be able to see plot developments of both teams. Definitely in

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#10 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Glad to hear Ralor's in.

I'm against double-sided RPs. 

I am okay with anti-hero and more freedom of choice instead of having to be that good-for-all hero. I'd rather see some characters question whether or not we should save Humanity, destroy all traces of the Blue Blood, dominate Humanity, or just watch over them.

Edit:

Also in my eyes, Blue Bloods are NOT Human. If you look at them the same way Mutants are looked at in X-Men, they're considered another species. One could even argue that they're the evolution of Humans considering that they came from Humans. 

Also it seems rather ambitious but maybe we could put all of this into a Wikia one day and develop it from there?

Edited by Kingroy, 09 July 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#11 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

Roy and I were discussing some more things and we decided that we'll initially set the RP in Gardia (tentative name), a large kingdom in Catalia that is slowly being controlled by the Dragon's Order. There will be three prominent factions vital to the story, which certainly could change before or even during the RP. The first one is the Keepers, which have been described by Roy in his post. Second one will be the Rogues (tentative name), who conspire to overthrow the oppressive and ineffective lords of Gardia and return the power to the people of the land. These two factions are the "good guys" but they have different end goals. One wants to restore Blue Bloods and integrate them back into the world, and the other wants freedom from the oppression they've known all their lives. Third faction is the Dragon's Order itself. They're the "bad guys" who have their sights set in uniting Catalia once more, this time under a Divinity-led rule. As you read earlier, the Divinity wants to eradicate the humans and ensure Blue Blood supremacy.

The Kingdom of Gardia itself was once part of the Eternal Empire many years ago but now it's an independent domain that currently has its army spread out with suppressing rebellions, protecting borders against neighboring hostile kingdoms and weathering internal issues among Gardia's leadership. So, while there is an army presence in the kingdom, they will be scarce in manpower for the RP which explains the rise in power to the three factions. We also discussed possible plot points for the future but I don't think we should focus on that until we get to that point.

Also, I like the idea of Blue Bloods not being humans. As well, how does everyone else feel about a doomsday magic device?

DHHIpKN.png

#12 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

Ok I've been real slack lately on getting my response out for this (and I dunno how to really explain my reasons for being so slack so I won't). I like a few ideas here and there (and those ones will be obvious in this) but I'm gonna throw up my own write up for now (with added things that I like from what's already up).

-------------

The world (no name yet) will be of the usual fantasy set up. Technology is not advance and people still use humble methods of communication (messengers, mass pigeon holes etc.). I can go along with the idea of a few advancements however (like trains) but they would have to be very rough borderline steampunk advancements. People would usually travel by horse, or carriage, and distinction between classes will be very notable. You would have your semi-feudal society where the poor are beneath knights, barons and other rich people but, like in most fantasy settings, you can work your way up to the upper-class society.

Guilds will exist on the side in this society and can be made up of anyone of any class, in fact, guilds would be considered the one place where the classes can even mingle. Due to the freedom of guilds there will be many kinds out there, some not even known or considered legend. The Rogue guild will one of the few guilds considered legend. The Rogue Guild is known in this world to be a very versatile guild, rumoured to take money even for assassinations (though very selective with who they are assassinating, the only cases known are the assassination of corrupt figureheads). Of course there's more to the Rogue Guild than the public know, this is where the blue bloods come in. The Rogue Guild somewhat a cover to protect those known as Blue Bloods.

Blue Bloods are supernatural beings with "mutant powers" and the appearance of mutants (so in this blue bloods will have to have physical deformations to their appearance according to their powers e.g stone like hands for those who can control fire to protect their skin). Some Blue Blood deformations are less noticeable than others so they can avoid being spotted in a crowd, but regardless of how well they hide their deformations if they were to spill their blood it would be a bright blue colour, making their status as a Blue Blood known. Humans fear what they do not understand and sadly society is bent on ignorance so Blue Bloods are not safe in the public eye, many known to be killed, tortured, raped and so on due to their deformation making them appear alien and strong enough to be considered a threat to humanity. The Rogue Guild has stepped in because of this unfair treatment and secretly take in Blue Bloods, recruit them and protect them from such horrors. Sadly, they can't get to every Blue Blood in the world and so some are left to die. The occurrence that a Blue Blood is found is extremely rare and so Blue Bloods are considered to be mythical demons, often depicted as ferocious heartless monsters of strange appearance.

The time The Rogue Guild has existed is uncertain and the guild masters of every sub-guild are very mysterious, some are even rumoured to be thousands of years old. The guild's original purpose is also a mystery, adding to the guild's legendary status because of how secretive they are (how selective they are with jobs also has people questioning the guilds existence). 

There can be magick in the world. Other than the feared Blue Bloods powers there is a strange power the world has known as magick. This power is contained in strange artifact's found only in ancient temples. Not much is known of these temples and they are very rare in the colder areas of the world (the area where the RP would take place. Think of it as the Europe of the world). Each temple is thought to be connected to Blue Bloods by the less ignorant scholars of the world whereas the rest of the world believes ancient superior humans created the temples and that there is a secret power in the world. These artifacts are studied in every corner of the world (and could be a plot device if chosen).

------------------------------------------------------

That's just a handful of information for the world. More geographical stuff can be explained if you want but these things could give and idea of how the RP would go (the main focus being Blue Bloods or the artifacts, which will link to Blue Bloods in the end anyway). I can go more in depth with artifacts if you guys want.

--------------------------

More on what's been said, though the "fight the power" thing is great I dunno how long interest would be kept for the RP, I also think it takes away the interest behind the Supernatural side of the RP. Also, hell no to a magical doomsday device. It doesn't suit the Fantasy theme. If there was doomsday it would have be surrounded by myth or some great celestial being.

Edited by The Dream, 10 July 2014 - 02:02 AM.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#13 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

Ehh. I really prefer the Light and the Rogues be separate on ideas and goals. 

While I do want to do the "fight the power" storyline, I do agree that it could get old if done wrong. But regardless, your offer of powerful artifacts being plot points would basically be the same thing we're going for. An ancient artifact used for what exactly would make it a good plot point? And how much would it vary from a WMD? I can't help but think the artifact would just be some source of power or destruction that people would use for their benefit, which is pretty much the same point for using the WMD.

Edit: And when I say WMD I don't mean like a magical missle or nuclear-mana bomb or something, I mean like a powerful magic spell that affects a mass area? 

Also in hindsight, I never said what the WMD actually is. While it could be an artifact, I'd love for it to be a weapon developed from an artifact for large production.

And as far as society is concerned in development of technology...I believe they would be progressing rapidly. Remember, they have ways of making and utilizing a renewable power source. The world would be much more like Fairy Tail, the manga, in which there's a lot of technology and whatnot but it's still heavily fantasy-like. 

I mean, we can place it at a time where they aren't too developed yet but still it's something to keep in mind. 

>.> Also I don't like the idea that Blue Bloods have specific powers and specific deformations. It stifles freedom in progression, doesn't make sense with how their powers actually work, and makes them out to potentially look like monsters. 

1. I didn't want to go a HoM type route where you're attached to a super power from there on out, if you're a Blue Blood. I wanted people to be able to choose their preferred class of magic and then change if they want to.

2. Blue Bloods gather, store, and harness mana in their bodies for later use which is why their blood is blue. The use of their mana is magic. They can use it in various ways like an actual sorcerer or mage. A Blue Blood can learn to fly, shoot fire, and heal without limitations other than learning, understanding how the magic works, and mastery. As far as progression and all of that, it would just come in the form of sticking to a class of magic. Like, if you want to reach the advanced magics of the Pyromancy class, you'd have to continue to develop your body and mind(your AP or whatever if we'd go there) to properly cast these spells.

3. I don't want the Blue Bloods having horrifying disfigurements. I rather them look as Humanly as possible while also having certain characteristics that make them truly different. The only thing I have my mind set on is their blood being blue. The point for me, is that Blue Bloods are just like Humans. Without seeing their blood or use of their powers, one couldn't tell a Human from a Blue Blood. Having rocky skin, or leaves growing out of their bodies would easily corrupt that idea. 

Edited by Kingroy, 10 July 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#14 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

If it's done the style that you just have mana powers then it's not really a "mutants in the world" thing, the more developed technology cuts away the fantasy and the deformations was an idea I threw out there because people are more terrified of things that will look extremely strange. If there are artifact lying around which allow people to do things Blue Bloods would be able to do I don't really think there'd be much of a shock factor of these guys existing based off their ability alone. 

Hiding a Blue Bloods identity would be easy depending on disfigurements because hiding them could involve something as simple as putting on some gloves. Of course at the same time some Blue Bloods would need things beyond just a pair of gloves, leaving them to be completely covered or not allowed in the public eye at all. It brings along more social problems for Blue Bloods. With Blue Bloods just being magic users it doesn't really bring in a mutant+fantasy world, instead it turns this RP into an exclusive fantasy RP with the dilemma of magic being considered evil or all those little paranoias, not the mutant in a "normal" fantasy world (which is what attracted me to this kind of RP in the first place).

The power to change classes and try out different spells also ruins the experience with character roles. Characters appear OP with that much freedom (a single class can have plenty to offer for one character) and even if you were to put restrictions then it would dumb down progress for characters to the point where it is boring. That kind of system would only work with a game.

A WMD being an ancient artifact could work splendidly depending on how it is handled. It can work as long as it's not something someone could make, maybe complete but not make from scratch.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#15 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

The focus on the RP, at least for me, isn't really the Blue Bloods. They're an important element but the story is on the heroes, who may or may not be Blue Bloods. You don't need to be a mutant to be persecuted, specially in a society that will have serfdom. With that said, I definitely think the artifacts should be still present in the RP but make them exceptionally rare. Think like the Starheart or Batman's Utility Belt.

Anyway, I posted this on the sb earlier but I think the Blue Bloods could look normal except their appearances could change when they use the corresponding magic (like they get stone skin when they use geomancy). Think it would look cool and could make them easily identifiable. However, with that said, I am slightly leaning to the idea that Blue Bloods should be able to use different magic. The whole character roles thing feels more gamey to me than the idea of spell progression. Besides, with the enemy NPCs having access to Magick (the weaker, artificial human magic) and actual magic for enemy NPC Blue Bloods, no one should really feel OP against them.

For tech, I know I want those artificial aether towers to be a thing but idk about the other stuff :v

Edited by Wynn, 10 July 2014 - 10:54 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#16 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

So wait.

What are we looking to get out of this again? Just to like...keep focused o,o. I think I might be venturing off on my own ideas and stuff.

#17 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Your ideas are fine Roy, we just need to finetune them such as the extent of technological development and if Blue Bloods should be the "next step" in human evolution or if they are an ancient race that existed before humans but look like them.

And what we're looking to get out of this is, ultimately, a good RP.

Edited by Wynn, 11 July 2014 - 10:44 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#18 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

@Dream It seems like you want them to have some disfigurements and stick to a specific power-set. I mean, we can do the disfigurements but I don't see a real purpose behind them. I can understand what you're saying about the power-set and whatnot. 

@Wynn I'd go for Blue Bloods are just Humans who mutated and were able to use mana. Technological advances, in my opinion, should be somewhat developed but not too developed due to the power sources they have. What I hoped to portray was how mankind can advance extremely face in technology but develop frightfully slow in social areas and tolerance. In order to do that, we'd need society or at least one example of society in that world to showcase rapidly advancing technology. 

Imo, I wouldn't be put off by a world more like Final Fantasy vs 13, but Dream doesn't really wanna go that far. We can compromise, I just don't know where tho.

#19 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

As for the disfigurement idea Wynn had, it makes me really think of Bioshock. Not a bad thing at all, and I personally wouldn't mind. 

I think perhaps the limitation of blue bloods be that new skills (not advancements/fine tuning of old ones, but, say, a healing when all you know is Pyromancy) be obtained by absorbing greater amounts of mana, i.e. draining a Daedalus crystal or resting in an aether font/well.  The problem being that then Daedalus crystals then become even more macguffin-y than before. 

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#20 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

If this series is going for a FF13 looks then I might not take part in it. Not because I oppose the idea full force but because that's not the kind of RP I'm looking for to try out. The style you guys are suggesting makes me think of a more steampunk-to-sci-fi fantasy based RP whereas I'm just in for a fantasy superhero RP. I'll still take part in it, depending on how far things go.

I do, however, like the crystal absorbing idea for powers. I most certainly do not want people to be able to have more than one pathway for powers (so no pyromancers also having the power to throw rocks everywhere). If someone were to be like that then that would have to be the main leader of the guild or the enemy (or both, but preferably the enemy so no character controlled folk has too much power unless it's the GM for the sake of plot). Think of it as an avatar style world (but more diversity when it comes to the powers people can have).

The crystal absorbing idea can bring along thirsts for power. Blue Bloods who use the crystals irresponsibly can either get addicted or become twisted and turn into some corrupt monster hungry for the power of the crystals (the form depends on their powers to). Maybe the disfigurement idea could sub into this? Blue Bloods who have the used the crystals longest (responsibly included) could slowly have their appearances altered from using the crystals for such a long time. It would be a consequence for using the crystals for so long. If humans were to use the crystals it could either not work or corrupt them upon the first use, so Blue Bloods would have something in them that allows them to use the crystals and therefore keep the whole superpowered =/= the usual people theme.

On the matter of disfigurements. I want them because in a fantasy world such as this, it's appearances that hit the most, not abilities. Someone who can shoot fire from their hands would baffle everyone but if the artifacts and all that exists (with their mysterious powers) then it's something people would accept pretty easily. If there are disfigurements however, people would be concerned and frightened. Considering how humans like to portray things that are different (in a violent and terrifying way) this would work perfectly in my opinion.

Edited by The Dream, 12 July 2014 - 10:53 PM.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one