3 replies to this topic

#1 Rose

Rose

Squire

• Squire
  • 362 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Sony has finally released the official open beta of Playstation Now on July 31. The first round of titles include 100 games, with games like FFXIII and FFXIII-2 included in the list. For those that don't know what exactly Playstation Now is, its a streaming service that lets you stream PS3 games for a rental price. The current pricing system is really atrocious considering 4 hours and 90 days can run you $3.00 to $24.99. Besides those two rental prices the 7 day and the month prices are reasonable starting from as little as $5.99 to about at most i have seen $12.99. This technology was aquired when Sony brought Gankai a few years back and the fruits of their labor is starting to finally show. 

On to the review.

Playstation Now has a great premise and I would love to see it expand, but as it is currently i would spend to much time caring for it. The list of games which i will link at the bottom of this post is pretty lackluster and the overall experience isn't fun. One main complaint that I can say is if you have a wireless connection be sure to expect a lot of drops in quality as well as the game overall since you are streaming the game from an online server. Secondly with this issue, Playstation Now doesn't even offer a automatic save to alleviate the drops in games and frame rate. If that wasn't enough the system automatically logs you out of the game when you haven't touched it in a few minutes, which is reasonable if they had an automatic save feature, but since they don't you lose a great deal of progress frequently if you don't stay on top of things.

Yeah I understand this is a beta, but they had the private beta open for months before this. Anyone can obviously see these few problems that I have pointed out in the first few minutes of going into the service. I hope these and plenty of the other issues gets fixed asap, and we get some better games. Thoughts and opinions on the service?

http://www.ign.com/w...ation_Now_Games

A girl, she sits alone on a pitch black night, sad, as nights dark veil descends, but low, the moon nestles into the sky, silvery and full, banishing the dark once it came, when dawn breaks, the night of atonement quietly departs

Posted Image

I hate you more than Cole McGrath hates water.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

Posted Image

#2 Lexaeus

Lexaeus

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,713 posts
  • Naturally Hated by All

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

Ya, from someone that called a similar service not a good deal, it doesn't really come out...better? I see potential, but in the end its seems its a company to company thing that ultimately determines the prices, rather than staple playstation prices consider a number of factors (new, good, worth renting short term, etc).

Zanca327.png

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” - Saint Thomas Aquinas

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Yea... I love the idea behind this, but this prices... You can easily buy some of those games for cheaper then the 90 day rental. Could even beat the game and trade it in or return it or something along those lines and get some money back.

Don't think this will do well unless they really cut prices. Too bad it doesn't go like how Steam is, they'd made quite a pretty penny off of it then...

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 Rose

Rose

Squire

• Squire
  • 362 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I'm hearing they are looking towards a set price like Netflix and Hulu, and say that's the best bet they have at making the service worthwhile. Sadly it seems like it's going to take awhile for them to even future out a good price.
A girl, she sits alone on a pitch black night, sad, as nights dark veil descends, but low, the moon nestles into the sky, silvery and full, banishing the dark once it came, when dawn breaks, the night of atonement quietly departs

Posted Image

I hate you more than Cole McGrath hates water.

In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

Posted Image