10 replies to this topic

#1 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

I posted this in the sb but I'll repost it here so people don't have to dig through the archives.

(2:33 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  so...
(2:33 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  I'm in a situation
(2:34 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  my parents want me to go to school (university/college) in the philippines
(2:34 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  or are suggesting it
(2:34 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  I'd be living in my dad's aunt's summer home, which is like a mansion
(2:34 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  since they're rich
(2:35 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  and there'll be a lot of family since it's where I'm from
(2:35 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  but... idk
(2:35 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  still wavery over whether I should really go or not
(2:36 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  i don't want to be a burden to them, and i'll probably be a disappointment seeing as how i have little to no skills and achievements
(2:36 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  and the language there... i forgot a lot of how to speak it and their accent when speaking English would probs make it hard for me to understand them esp with my hearing problem
(2:37 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  and then there's the issue of the school quality
(2:37 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  us school vs Philippine school
(2:37 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  :/ dad's aunt is the one who paid for his college education
(2:38 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  and he currently has a job paying $70k/year
(2:38 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  but he got the job etc. back in the 90s, 00s and went to school to learn things that were kinda simple and important back then
(2:38 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  >COBOL
(2:39 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  and the way the world is now I'm not sure if the education levels will match up
(2:39 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  but then again the alternative is i could teach myself. And going to a subpar school could only be a little better since i could still be teaching myself, just with another crutch
(2:39 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  hm
(2:40 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  What are you guys' thoughts?
(2:41 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  Also, dad's aunt got all that money from being a head nurse at someplace and the retirement pay was a lot. Also they get a lot of money from relatives. And they travel around the world these days in their (her and her husband) retirement days.
(5:28 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  I guess if I fuck up I can always move back to the US and continue being a NEET.
(6:41 PM - 08/12/14) Waker
(8:45 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  welp, it's not so much a mansion as a big house
(8:45 PM - 08/12/14) Waker:  And the university is a Roman Catholic school. And I'm an agnostic atheist. Shit.
http://en.wikipedia....rios_University

and extra, from my posts on /r9k/ and /adv/:

I'm in a situation right now that involves me maybe moving to the Philippines.

My parents are suggesting I go to school (university) in the Philippines like they did. I'm currently living in the US. If I did move there I would be living in my dad's aunt's summer home, which is like a mansion. She and her husband are rich and travel around the world these days from her head nurse job back in the day - the retirement pay is huge. They also get money from relatives. She's the one who paid for my dad's college education. Dad's a programmer now making ~$75k/year.

What I'm concerned about is the education level and the language barrier. I barely know much Binisaya anymore, besides the little I hear my parents speak, and I barely listen to them. Also I've been NEET for the past four years and don't want to be a burden and a disappointment. I have little to no skills or achievements. And another thing... they might have stricter mores about sex outside of marriage in the country.

KV here.

On one hand there's more Asian girls there solely for the proximity (Chinese, South Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese etc.) but there's gonna be backlash for having premarital sex with them which isn't as much of a problem in the US.

Pros:
>live in summer mansion of rich relatives who are usually out of the house, traveling the rest of the world
>lots of family who love you
>allowance from immediate family in the US for school, food, and you get to keep the extra
>Girls who are closer to your ethnicity
>a chance to basically restart your life and pretend to be someone else
>More anime (and other Asian programming) on TV than in the US

Cons:
>lower-tier school than if you went to a US school
>need to learn the language
>social anxiety
>lack of skills and achievements
>no work ethic
>22-year-old NEET, never had a job, dropped out of first months of college
>no sex with gfs if you even get one
>90% of females are 5/10 and below

What would you choose, k-g?

edit: also, dad said i can only return to the US once my 4 years of college are done.

Edited by Waker, 12 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#2 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I don't know man. It's something you'd really have to think about. I think that because of the education level being different, you might jenette off in Americs but then I don't know if you'll really be able to teach yourself.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#3 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I don't know man. It's something you'd really have to think about. I think that because of the education level being different, you might jenette off in Americs but then I don't know if you'll really be able to teach yourself.

>you might jenette

I might what?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure I will be able to teach myself either. Especially considering I have been out of school for almost four years and had all this free time.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”

#4 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:04 AM

Well at this moment I think the girls part of the issue should be of the lowest importance and the educational/experience side should more of the issue to think about. If the language issue in the Philippines is big enough that it would trouble you with your studies then I'd say you try something over here. If not, or your willing to work with it, then you should go. The experience would be great, you could get more work experience on the side and who knows, it might help with coping with your anxiety (not instantly, but the leap you take and the experiences you'll have could increase your confidence and so on). It won't make you behave like someone who isn't you, you'll still be you but you might just change into a person you didn't think you were, or you'll just realise a different you.

I know that in the Philippines religion is really big and held onto and that people still hold very traditional values but if the Uni is like religious school and uni's in other countries, the influence would probably be pretty low so you could keep your atheism in check without upsetting some super religious folk. Also, your education in the Philipinnes can be valid in a lot of countries, you'll just have to do another year in the country you go to just to satisfy some standards of the country (that's what I've heard from my friends who's parents got their education done in the Philippines, one of them has two parents who were engineers in the Philipinnes).

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Uncultured white american here who only knows about america, as someone I know would say.

Go for it.

Seriously. Go for it. Most of the time in your OP you're putting yourself down, but I think the biggest and most important point of everything you posted is this:

>a chance to basically restart your life and pretend to be someone else

Everyone needs that, I feel. You're too focused, I think, on your shortcomings that you seem to feel you can't change anything you dislike about yourself. You can do it. You're a bright person, Waker, and if you open up to people and give something an honest chance you never know what could happen. You have a lot to offer, and it's about time you start believing in yourself. Everyone has social anxiety at one point, and there's two ways to go about it.

You can either pack it up and give in and say "this is how i am" or you can say no, this isn't how it has to be, and try your best to change it. I know I make it sound easy, and I know there's a lot of work involved, but honestly the ability to "fake it until you make it" is pretty dang true. The first few times may be sloppy, but so be it. Don't let it get to you. Just keep working at it. As long as you're happy with who you are, then fuck everyone else and what they think. That's the most important thing.

You tried school here and it didn't click. Maybe a change of scenery will help get you motivated, you know? You really don't have much to lose from the looks of it, and your family is trying to support you, so let them help you.

147.png

#6 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

Thanks, guys. Will be keeping those advice in mind. And on the way to the library I asked when I would be moving to the Philippines and dad said when his aunt will be coming here, which he said is next year, around March. So there's still some time.

Now, what should I do with my last months for a while in the US?

edit: also, on the religion topic, my grandpa on my mother's side is a pastor. So there's that.

Edited by Waker, 13 August 2014 - 10:34 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

— Mark Twain

#7 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'd say go places and experience things you hadn't before. Try to make the last few months memorable. At that same time relax and prepare yourself. Maybe work on the language issue too.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#8 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, guys. Will be keeping those advice in mind. And on the way to the library I asked when I would be moving to the Philippines and dad said when his aunt will be coming here, which he said is next year, around March. So there's still some time.

Now, what should I do with my last months for a while in the US?

edit: also, on the religion topic, my grandpa on my mother's side is a pastor. So there's that.

Go a little wild I guess. Be more bold, more expressive, and more charismatic before you leave. You wanted to take a girl out on a date? Take that fine lil mama on a date. 

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#9 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Alright, so

- Learn how to cook at least 3 proper meals
- Learn how to play the piano
- Learn how to sing
- Learn how to vocalize loudly, clearly, beautifully, and authoritatively
- Learn how to play the guitar
- Tighten up my frame by working out
- Gain weight - enough to make it to at least 130 lbs
- Brush teeth every day, twice each day
- Learn moderate level (B1) of German & French

11vpmw8.jpg

— Mark Twain

#10 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Wait you don't know how to cook proper meals? YEAH LEARN THAT MAN. Learn how to marinate meat and cook it. Same for vegetables. And some other crap. I guess just pick what you like to eat when you go out to mid-tier restaurants(Cheesecake Factory, TGIF, Cracker Barrel, etc).

#11 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:46 AM

Alright, so

- Learn how to cook at least 3 proper meals
- Learn how to play the piano
- Learn how to sing
- Learn how to vocalize loudly, clearly, beautifully, and authoritatively
- Learn how to play the guitar
- Tighten up my frame by working out
- Gain weight - enough to make it to at least 130 lbs
- Brush teeth every day, twice each day
- Learn moderate level (B1) of German & French

Wait you don't know how to cook proper meals? YEAH LEARN THAT MAN. Learn how to marinate meat and cook it. Same for vegetables. And some other crap. I guess just pick what you like to eat when you go out to mid-tier restaurants(Cheesecake Factory, TGIF, Cracker Barrel, etc).

Yeeeeeees about the cooking. Learn to make some masterpieces for your tongue.

Those goals all look pretty sweet though. I think you'll have decide on only one instrument for the meantime because piano and guitar do take a while to learn, but it should be all good. Learning to sing alongside it will help you with flow and harmonies too (for most people it works like this).

Edited by The Dream, 15 August 2014 - 01:47 AM.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one