• 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

Release year: 1971
Director: King Hu

Liked
Rating: 4.5/5

Watched: Apr 30, 2013

A prime wuxia film. Probably the best. If not the one of the most iconic.

There are two parts to this film: the setup and the actual story.

Things I liked:
- It was able to keep my attention for the entire first half despite it being so suspenseful - you can notice it's really trying to keep the suspense going. The second half kept my attention too, and had actual martial arts.
- The first half was actually a pretty good view of old China from the people's POV, and I can see the atmosphere here that might have inspired Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- The monks. Mostly the main monk, who could beat movie Bruce Lee AND Jackie Chan (who wants no trouble) by himself. They (and he) made the whole movie worthwhile as a proper wuxia movie.
- That psychedelic ending worthy of making this film arthouse.

Edited by Waker, 12 October 2014 - 10:39 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord