• 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Release year: 2006
Directors: Danny Pang, Oxide Pang Chun

Liked

Rating: 4/5

Rewatched: May 12, 2013

One of my favorite films for its transitions and tricks. Almost every change in scene feels like a change in scene in a dream or thought or daydream. This whole movie is like an acid trip, and I would say it's as enjoyable, but I've never taken acid.

I'd put it up there with Persepolis, Mirrormask, and Pan's Labyrinth for its mastery of transitions. Maybe it's easier to say it's just like Alice in Wonderland novels.

I would watch this every time I feel like I need something to entertain and distract me because it's just so good at presenting the next things so seamlessly, like sitting in a boat drifting on a river of dreams. And then it has some scares to keep me excited.

Edited by Waker, 12 October 2014 - 10:38 PM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord