Photo

PC City-building/Empire management/RTS recommendations? Favorites?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:15 AM

These are my favorite genres of games. I've played some good ones in my time:

Age of Empires I, II: The Age of Kings, II: The Conquerors
Caesar III
Sim City
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Warcraft III
Battle Realms
Starcraft & Starcraft: Brood War
Homeworld & Homeworld: Cataclysm
Tradewinds series (not sure if this counts as strategy but it has trading and money management going on, merchant skills to be flexed to be able to do well in these games)

Some good ones that I like from what I've seen but never played:
Civilization V
Dawn of Discovery aka Anno 1404 - look at this vid
Empire Earth

Do y'all have some recommendations to give as to what rts or empire management games to play? What are your favorites?

Edited by Waker, 23 December 2014 - 06:02 AM.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#2 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

Bruh, be a real man and get Paradox's Europa Universallis 4. It's a grand strategy game where you play as any nation from the years 1444 to 1821. It'll take a lot of time to learn but it's pretty fun once you get used to it and you get to do cool things like be a super trade empire that completed the Holstein, Panama and Suez canals or be elected the Holy Roman Emperor as the Japanese emperor or even turn all of Europe to Islam.

If you want to focus more on dynasty building, you can get Crusader Kings 2 instead. They're both by Paradox but CK2 focuses more on the 500s~ to 1400s~ and you play as a dynasty that tries to build its prestige throughout Europe. I've seen events fire off that involve Robin Hood, the Necronomicon and even an invasion by a super Aztec horde (this one is luckily DLC if you want a more historically accurate game).

The best part is the fact that you can convert your CK2 save to EU4 if you really want a long game.

DHHIpKN.png

#3 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

Bruh, be a real man and get Paradox's Europa Universallis 4. It's a grand strategy game where you play as any nation from the years 1444 to 1821. It'll take a lot of time to learn but it's pretty fun once you get used to it and you get to do cool things like be a super trade empire that completed the Holstein, Panama and Suez canals or be elected the Holy Roman Emperor as the Japanese emperor or even turn all of Europe to Islam.

If you want to focus more on dynasty building, you can get Crusader Kings 2 instead. They're both by Paradox but CK2 focuses more on the 500s~ to 1400s~ and you play as a dynasty that tries to build its prestige throughout Europe. I've seen events fire off that involve Robin Hood, the Necronomicon and even an invasion by a super Aztec horde (this one is luckily DLC if you want a more historically accurate game).

The best part is the fact that you can convert your CK2 save to EU4 if you really want a long game.

Thanks for the rec. I've seen these games posted on /pol/, with the OP and replies testing/imagining what would happen if they applied their ideas to nations.

They look like the game Risk. I prefer smaller scale, though, rather than dealing with nations.

Like these:

^also a good video, just from what I've seen of the first minute

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord