#1 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

What is amiibo?

Amiibo is an interactive gaming experience utilizing near-field communication, or NFC, to read and write data to portable figurines. Currently, the only amiibo being released are those in the Super Smash Brothers game. A collective list of all amiibo by series, wave, and with tags identifying rarity will be displayed below. Having launched in 11/14 along with Super Smash Brothers for Wii U, these $13 (US) have taken the world by storm, selling an insane 5.7 million units, as of reports from the investors meeting earlier this week. This figure, however, would only have accounted for the first two waves.

Due to issues with limited supply, due to the uncertainty of the market for certain characters, in conjunction with high demand by fans, gamers, and collectors, these have sold out extremely quickly, particularly creating a variety of rarity by region and character. This will reportedly be solved by reprints due to hit shelves in June.

C=Common
UC=Uncommon
S=Semi-Rare
R=Rare
UN=Unicorn

Series: Super Smash Bros

Wave 1
Mario-C
Link-UC
Fox-S
Marth-UN
Wii Fit Trainer-UN
Villager-UN
Samus-UC
Pikachu-C
Yoshi-C
Peach-C
Donkey Kong-C
Kirby-C

Wave 2
Pit-UN
Little Mac-UN
Captain Falcon-R
Diddy Kong-UC
Zelda-C
Luigi-C

Wave 3 (Part B releases Friday)
Ike-R
Toon Link-UC
Lucario-R
King DeDeDe-R
Rosalina-R
Shulk-R
Mega Man-S
Sonic-S
Bowser-C
Sheik-UC

Wave 4: April?
Charizard
Ness
Lucina
Robin
Pac-Man

Series: Super Mario Bros

Wave 1:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#2 Yuko

Yuko

Page

• Page
  • 89 posts
  • Casket of Stars. ✰

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

I..actually saw like prices and bids and stuff yesterday. Good thing I got sheik yesterday as a present.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

All I care about is Lucina. I don't see the hype to these poorly crafted toys.

147.png

#4 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

Poorly crafted? Have you seen one in person? I have a Samus and a Link, and I think the attention to detail on them is amazing. Granted, they should cost far less than what they're being sold at now; I don't think, however, they are even close to being shoddy products.

#5 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

I remember seeing promotional models versus the pictures floating around on the web and I recall the quality being severely lacking. Seen a whole lot of bad paintjobs and other things to here and there on GAF and other places. I don't have the highest opinion of these. How much do you think they should retail for? I figured 13 dollars isn't too bad since I don't think they intend for you to collect all of them.

147.png

#6 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

Well, yes, it's a given that the official releases are of inferior quality to the promotional prototypes. Link and Samus stand at about 3" high each, and the paint jobs on each of mine are near flawless, with a couple blemishes but nothing too noticeable. I feel like $8 or $9 each would be fair. Then again, maybe I don't have a good opinion on how much a toy like this should cost.

#7 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

I have/had Link, (I lost it somehow today, hopefully I find it). It's very fun to play with in Super Smash Bros, and considering the MSRP and collectability it's incredibly good. The crafting is actually pretty great. I'm able to carry link in my jacket pocket with only some temporary flex in the sword and sheath. The material for it is durable yet flexible. Some knicks in the paint and factory defects aren't too much of an issue, in fact, some defects actually increased the value- a dual cannon Samus sold for 10k, and a legless peach for 240. An eyepieceless Fox has been found, I don't know if it has been or will be sold. Personally, assuming I find my Link, I'm interested in Ike, Lucina, Lucario, Marth, Robin, Ness, Villager, Toon Link, Shulk, and Pit. The NFC function is actually able to be replicated easily, but the figures are awesome. I'm seriously upset I lost my Link. :/

Edited by Ralor, 19 February 2015 - 04:27 PM.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

#8 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

I mean half of what you said in your post, Ralor, is why I don't get the craze for these things. The manufacturing process is pretty shoddy it seems, even if these are rare defects, they're prevalent enough that they are run of the mill or "collectible". Really weird. I should shut up though and go look at a few in person before I make a hard line stance on them, so for that I should apologize. I don't like... mean to sound like a dick or nothing about it, and I don't think people who like them or collect them are dumb or wasting their money, since I see the value in them. I just don't get the super hype all over the place about them. I guess it's just a Nintendo thing? I dunno.

I was hoping they would be super awesome showpieces, but instead they're only pretty awesome showpieces, which I guess is partly my fault for getting my own hopes too high.

Like I said before, I'll be very interested when Lucina becomes available, because I love her. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to get a Meta Knight, Robin (maybe. I don't know which Robin they'll use and I'd want him to look like the Robin I made in FE:A), and maybe like... hmm. Maybe a Samus? Zero Suit? Link is kind of cool but does he have that huge yellow stick sticking out of him? That feels like a huge dealbreaker for me.

147.png

#9 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, to be honest, the yellow stick is really weird. I wish they'd just designed a different pose that was more stable.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a misprint is collectible, wouldn't it have to be rare? Or else it would lose any extra value. Idk, but with as many as were released, you'd expect to see some defective ones, especially with the internet making it incredibly easy to spread the information.

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, to be honest, the yellow stick is really weird. I wish they'd just designed a different pose that was more stable.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if a misprint is collectible, wouldn't it have to be rare? Or else it would lose any extra value. Idk, but with as many as were released, you'd expect to see some defective ones, especially with the internet making it incredibly easy to spread the information.

I thought about this too, and I kind of agree with it. Misprints would be rather rare, but there are also a ton of images of sloppy product display like broken figures in the packages or guys who slipped out of their showcase... thing... and are just laying in the box. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but that's personal preference, again.

Yes. This is very much a case of nitpicking and I am very aware of it.

147.png

#11 Yuko

Yuko

Page

• Page
  • 89 posts
  • Casket of Stars. ✰

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

Okay I was about to call out valor on being a poop but yeah. It's not exactly like, amazing crafted and painted for it to be so uh, coveted. But I've seen people bid hundreds and thousands for an amiibo. And I find it awful that people buy a ton of them and sell them off at higher prices like??? That's so not cool at all. I've yet to unbox sheik until I'm back home but she looks pretty good to me, obviously not made by micheal angelo but I guess it's neat to have a figure like this--It's just I don't see why people are selling an intestine to get one really. Eventually they'll be in card form but still.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

Whether the card form will be the for the current set or future functions is up in the air. Personally I hope they keep the figures. They're really neat. And only certain ones aren't as great detail-wise. Shulk's hair is a bit weird, Ike's eyes are a bit derp. And yeah, the piss block is the only bad thing with Link. The adhesive on it isn't great and will easily come out of its socket.The foot is more stable than the block.

Edited by Ralor, 19 February 2015 - 10:27 PM.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

#13 Yuko

Yuko

Page

• Page
  • 89 posts
  • Casket of Stars. ✰

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

I mean the figures are really popular so maybe they'll be more made in the future but now it's just first come first serve I guess. I mean the card thing was something I had heard about but again, too soon to tell. I mean I have really expect sheik but she's pretty good. I also remember looking at Marth and he was derpy too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

Amiibo's look pretty neat and for the price they go for in the normal stores is reasonable. The reselling and auctioning off of them however is ridiculous. If figures such as $250 pop up for one of the limited ones RIGHT NOW then all I've got to say is everyone is too damn greedy (or rich) for their own good. A price like that I'd understand in 5 years time when they are no longer sold and harder to find but really right now it's not worth that much.

Heck you could buy the Link figma or a LoZ statue for that much and it would certainly be worth it compared to an Amiibo. Sure the Amiibos have their digital gimmicks but really that's not worth skyrocketing prices. It looks like there's nothing but excessive thirst for these things.

That said, I do like them. They're nice little things on their own.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#15 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

Dream AUS/NZ is already getting more.

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

#16 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

Just got my Rosalina & Luma amiibo today.

IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

So pretty *-*

Also here's my game station with other amiibos (just Link and Samus atm) and other friends:

IMG_0698.jpg

#17 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

THE SHADOW THE SACKBOY AND THE SYLVEON ARE CUTE also I still haven't found my amiibo, I keep forgetting to check the office lost and found

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

#18 Yuko

Yuko

Page

• Page
  • 89 posts
  • Casket of Stars. ✰

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Oh man, that looks like such a cute and comfy setup. ;w; my setup is messy.<<;

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

Got a Toon Link Amiibo :)

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

#20 Sodomize-it Soro

Sodomize-it Soro

Squire

• Squire
  • 714 posts
  • Keeper of Butts

User's Awards

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:34 PM

I ordered a Toon Link and it should have been here by the time Rosalina arrived, but nothing. Gonna check at the post office tomorrow and hopefully get it.