23 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hey KG Family,

As many of you are fully aware by now (or at least should be), my lifelong career goal and dream is to be a film director. Actually, one of the all time greatest film directors. But, in order to do that, I need the necessities in order to jumpstart my career, such as a film camera and a laptop with film editing and writing software included on it. Because of the crippling costs of my college education, myself and my parents have been unable to afford these items. My job also does not pay nearly enough for me to buy them. So here's what I've done:

Attached File  image.jpg   81.57K   13 downloads

I've started a GoFundMe campaign. My goal is to raise $5,460. This goal will help me purchase a Nikon D3200 (which shoots in Full HD 1080p) and a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Pro X (the required software for my film classes) and Final Draft Pro, screenwriting software in which some of the best films in recent history have been written on. With these two items (along with the film ideas rattling around in my head), I believe I can jumpstart my filmmaking career and hopefully turn it into a long, prosperous, impactful, and fulfilling one.

Now, I know some of your have your own situations in which money is hard to come by. I am not asking for a huge donation from any one person. I look to nearly all of you as big and little brothers and sisters and really cool friends, so I've decided to share this with you in hopes that you each believe in me as strongly as I believe in myself. Any dollar amount is gratefully appreciated and will go a long way in my heart.

If you are interested in donating, here is the link: http://www.gofundme.com/o3axkk

Even if you are unable to make a donation at this time, please feel free to share my story with your other friends and family.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#2 cbchick

cbchick

Squire

• Squire
  • 367 posts
  • Britt Brat

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

Mike, i think its so cool that we both are going to school for the same thing sorta lol i wanna be a film editor which I'm sure you know what that is. I'll take a look and see what i have and donate. i cant right at this moment because i'm gonna be leaving in a little bit but i'll definitely take a look and see what i can do to help :D

0716131b-bf5d-44b5-aab2-399e843258d8_zps

"If You Were To Leave Me, I Would Be Just As Alone As You."

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

If I wasn't really hurting with money recently, I would be giving you at least 25. If you're keeping this gofundme up for awhile, I'll be able to contribute once things are better. I really want to see you do well and accomplish your goal with film making. I feel like you'd be a great director just based off of knowing you all these years.

Don't give up or get discouraged. You'll get there.

Also, have you tried to get any grants or help from groups? I dont remember the name but I do remember reading about a group that helps young black males that are trying to get into the entertainment business. They try to help out and give money, equipment, etc so that theres more directors, screenwriters, and more in the film industry. Thought it wouldnt hurt to mention at all.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 Reservoir

Reservoir

Owner

• Emperor
  • 561 posts
  • Wrong choice.

User's Awards

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I originally responded in the SB; I actually didn't think I'd be stating more than just a brief comment. But, I did say more, and I don't know if the shouts would get lost before you'd see them. So, I'm C&Ping them here. I'll edit or make a new post if I think of more that I'd like to say.

"I think I'd like to help. I wasn't sure at first (from the brief bit that Kai mentioned to me.) But, after seeing for myself, I feel better about it.
I hope you reach your goal and that any donations will not be in vain.
My one critique so far (though I have yet to visit the actual gofundme link; I am basing this off of the screenshot) is to change the picture. Use one that looks professional.
*Reservoir has something more in mind, but is not sure how to comment it*
Basically, though, I think the visual needs presentation.
At current, if I didn't know you, I would probably think your text (judging what some of it is off of what you stated in the SB, which you said you added in) is just another "cool story, bro"--Words meant to swindle some, but are unconvincing to others. Your current image looks like your dedication would be only to relaxing on your couch, and that you'd like easy money to assist that.

...ugh, I feel like that sounds really "ugly," and I sincerely don't mean it to be. D: It's even worse since I imagine you like the picture and are not thinking that way of it at all. However, I do feel that it conveys and offsetting message for what it's being used for. D:
/simply trying to help"

)X
I edited that last sentence a little bit, but I still feel like I'm not saying that correctly or well. I hope you understand what I mean, though.

ADDED:
(also C&P'd + edited from the SB)

"I'm not saying that you need to remove yourself from the equation.
I just mean the part that shows YOU needs to look professional. You don't want to appear as a couch potato. Instead, show you yourself looking professional, ambitious, dedicated, and inspiring.
A picture really can say a thousand words.
and you should choose your words wisely!"

Posted Image

#5 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

I continued commenting on Kain's comments. I mean none of this to come off as harsh - we're just telling you the cold hard facts when it comes to how you're going to be able to convince people to fund you.

Im too lazy to format it so I screen capped it.

gVW2tgV.png

EDIT: Should say "why should I put YOUR dreams and aspirations in front of mine"

Edited by Dion, 07 March 2015 - 08:12 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#6 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

If I had the money I would fund you, but as everyone else is pointing out it's only because I know you and even then it'd be great if you had a sample of the work you can do without outstanding equipment. People need some stronger base to go off of when they consider funding you over a a message stating your dreams and hopes. It's great that you state what the money will go towards but there has to be more shown in order to get funding.

There is plenty of budget software and equipment you can purchase and use in order to produce a sample of work. Heck even now a smartphone could certainly be enough if you have a powerful one (like an iphone). 

I don't want you to get discouraged nor do I think everyone else wants you to feel that way. It's simple criticism that is blunt and to the point in order to help you. I really do hope you get funding but right now I really do think you need to show more for your cause.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#7 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:00 AM

Yes, I want to see some samples. I want to see the potential.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#8 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

I honestly do not see how you guys expect me to provide samples of my work to you when I have no laptop with film editing software or a camera to do so. If I did, I wouldn't have started this campaign in the first place.

If my iPhone had enough space left on it I'd try to whip up a short film but it doesn't.

Also, to your point, Dream: Digital SLR cameras themselves are not cheap. Heck, the one I would use my campaign fund on costs about $400 for the body alone, and that's on the "cheap" end on the spectrum of Nikon and Canon cameras.  

Edited by Crimson Jazz, 08 March 2015 - 05:17 PM.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#9 Yohtoh

Yohtoh

Page

• Page
  • 100 posts
  • The Nostalgic

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

In my opinion, I think looking in the general perspective people won't fund something that has no tangible evidence. It's hard to convince people otherwise without them thinking that you're asking for a free handout without giving anything in return. I think you're in the hardest part of your career to take your first steps and complete your first project.

Once you get over this hurdle and complete your first film then you can ask people.for donations. Till then you're probably gonna get empty promises and harsh responses.

I hope ya make a cult classic when you do.

http://mic.com/artic...amous-directors

A being without darkness.

Posted Image

Drowning in light.

#10 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

But the guy has no equipment tho... 

Look. 

The Go Fund me thing isn't a Kickstarter. It's not a "He will present you with blah, blah, blah." 

He's simply asking for help in getting the actual equipment.

Look. I'm broke as shit. Only reason I'm getting by is because of my parents letting me stay without having to pay the majority of bills in college. I have two jobs. Pay a high ass tuition without no financial backing other than my parents and they're only helping me pay for what I have left for my associate at CC and in case I can't break the bill for this semester at the University I attend for the two classes I take right now. On top of that, I'm helping my sister pay off her new car after her old one ended up costing us every month or so in repairs. Again, if you haven't begone to understand, I'm broke as shit.

I would lend Mike a damn dollar if I had one to actually hand out.

He's not asking us to poor our own income into his wallet. He's asking for donations from friends. Not from strangers who'd think he would just rip them off. And if you think he'd rip you off, you have no point of even pretending like you'd donate. Any bit helps whether it be a single dollar or a fifty dollar bill. It's your choice whether to donate or not but don't make up some BS excuse that he doesn't have any samples (when he lacks proper equipment to make professional samples in the first place...) or that he just doesn't seem determined enough because he has a job but is having trouble paying for it himself (Because we've all been there, and many of us still are. If you don't have it, you don't have it. If you're saving it up for something, even if's something you don't need, he's not going to say "shame on you." 

tl;dr: You're treating him like he's some well paid professional stranger who's looking for you to kickstart his project when really he's asking for assistance in buying the equipment to actually begin working on his project. 

Edited by Kingroy, 08 March 2015 - 06:36 PM.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#11 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:39 PM

Meh.

I dont care if you dont have a 2k laptop and a 400 dollar camera. Directorial quality doesn't depend on a computer and a camera. 

You dont need a DSLR camera to make a movie. Paranormal Activity was made with a camcorder and it redefined the found footage camera. The director shone through that movie, even though the budget for it was a portion of what you're asking people to give you to maybe make a movie. You don't need a MacBook to write a script starting out. You can do that in a journal or on microsoft word. James Cameron wrote the Terminator script as a homeless man living on the streets. 

I stand by my sentiments of  how you don't need 6k worth of equipment to show how great your potential as a director is.  

Edited by Dion, 08 March 2015 - 06:40 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#12 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Meh.

I dont care if you dont have a 2k laptop and a 400 dollar camera. Directorial quality doesn't depend on a computer and a camera. 

You dont need a DSLR camera to make a movie. Paranormal Activity was made with a camcorder and it redefined the found footage camera. The director shone through that movie, even though the budget for it was a portion of what you're asking people to give you to maybe make a movie. You don't need a MacBook to write a script starting out. You can do that in a journal or on microsoft word. James Cameron wrote the Terminator script as a homeless man living on the streets. 

I stand by my sentiments of  how you don't need 6k worth of equipment to show how great your potential as a director is.  

What does that have to do with supporting him tho? 

Kinda logic is that?

"Oh, you don't need something that pricey so I won't support at all."

:I He's still putting aside money to get this stuff. We aren't. A little money,even a dollar could go a long way. I don't give a damn if it's $6k. When you're trying to push for money, every single cent counts. 

Edited by Kingroy, 08 March 2015 - 06:42 PM.

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#13 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

Meh.

What does that have to do with supporting him tho? 

Kinda logic is that?

"Oh, you don't need something that pricey so I won't support at all."

:I He's still putting aside money to get this stuff. We aren't. A little money,even a dollar could go a long way. I don't give a damn if it's $6k. When you're trying to push for money, every single cent counts. 

I'm not saying he doesn't need that stuff. I'm just saying that not having that equipment is not a valid excuse for having nothing to show for your dedication to becoming one of the greatest directors of all time.

How does he expect to measure to people like James Cameron and Lumet when he can't do what they did with technology and conveniences that they did not have. 12 Angry Men was shot in a single room with a shitty 1950s camera and its script was undoubtedly NOT written on a MacBook. It is to this day one of the highest rated movies in existence and is an incredible feat of movie writing. 

I respect CJ and I support his endeavours. I just see no reason to give him my money >_>

Edited by Dion, 08 March 2015 - 06:49 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#14 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

That's bullshit.

That's like saying me rapping over shitty beats and recording them in a low quality makeshift studio in some crappy software would showcase my skills as a rapper. It doesn't. It damn well doesn't. I know just from trying. You can't expect to be able to produce decent work if your tools are crappy. And to say Found-Footage genre, one which is heavily criticized by both the casual and the critics and is limited to a specific type of story telling, shows proof that you don't need decent cameras to do decent work is stupid. 

You, who have no real foot or stake in the industry, like to argue about how certain shit get done but have you ever filmed a movie and then tried to use it IN the actual industry? Please don't give me that fan trivia shit. What you see on the outside isn't what it's like on the inside. 

#15 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

You, who have no real foot or stake in the industry, like to argue about how certain shit get done but have you ever filmed a movie and then tried to use it IN the actual industry? Please don't give me that fan trivia shit. What you see on the outside isn't what it's like on the inside. 

That's my point roy.

Neither has CJ.

Show me what you can do with shitty equipment before you ask me to give you money for better shit.

Edited by Dion, 08 March 2015 - 07:11 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#16 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

But unlike YOU he goes to school for it and actually studies this shit regardless if he's asked to or not. 

I didn't record my first official project until last Summer. I've been in the damn music scene and working my way in the industry one way or other, even without having anything to show.

#17 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

But unlike YOU he goes to school for it and actually studies this shit regardless if he's asked to or not. 

I didn't record my first official project until last Summer. I've been in the damn music scene and working my way in the industry one way or other, even without having anything to show.

He can go to school all he wants but if he has nothing to show for the stuff he's learned there, he's not going to get a penny from me or the thousands of other people that open up his fund page.

This is basic logic. This is how the universe works. Would you invest in a shitty kickstarter trying to swoon people into giving up money just because they have a dream but they had nothing to show for it?

I can say right now that I have a dream involving creating a hover car in the near future but I need like 10k from all of you so fund me now. You don't know my background knowledge - you dont know if I even CAN build a hovercar. Why would you EVER fund me?

Please. Get realistic.

Edited by Dion, 08 March 2015 - 07:21 PM.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#18 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

It's not a kickstarter. It's a Go Fund Me. The difference? A Kickstarter is for an actual project and tend to have a much higher goal. This is a go fund me for friends, colleagues, and associates to donate to. 

You want to be realistic? How the FUCK is he supposed to show you professional grade work when he doesn't even have the equipment? "Oh but he could do it cheaply." If there was a cheap way to get it done wouldn't he be going for that? Everyone's making a claim that he can make a movie like some other experienced directors from some 2 bit camera and software or how people in the past didn't need all that. Industry standards develop and increase over time. From the video game industry to the music industry to the movie industry. 

If you don't want to support, you didn't have to even post but have some sense and realize that the man doesn't even have proper equipment to give some proper work for you to look over. 

#19 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

I honestly do not see how you guys expect me to provide samples of my work to you when I have no laptop with film editing software or a camera to do so. If I did, I wouldn't have started this campaign in the first place.

If my iPhone had enough space left on it I'd try to whip up a short film but it doesn't.

Also, to your point, Dream: Digital SLR cameras themselves are not cheap. Heck, the one I would use my campaign fund on costs about $400 for the body alone, and that's on the "cheap" end on the spectrum of Nikon and Canon cameras.  

There is plenty of free/cheap software to provide a decent amount of editing. Heck my own phone has free editing software, and while it's not professional level it's enough to make a good clip. Another point to add is that the space in your iPhone is not really an excuse to not be able to create a short film, you should be able to just move your stuff and film something regardless, then move it back. Take not when we ask for a sample we're asking for a 5 minute short, heck even shorter would be fine too.

And I most certainly know how expensive camera's are however that also is not an excuse. I got my camera for $600 (which is probably even lower in America) and it's not even a fancy digital one, it's a handycam, but it works pretty damn well. If you bought something like that you could produce something to convince people to support you, then you'd get the funding you need for the better equipment.

No one is here to shit on you or discourage you or whatever. We're telling you the hard truth to it and we really hope you can kick something off successfully. What you're asking for is pretty high up there in price and is not the only way to produce amazing footage, even if it wouldn't be the best visually yet.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#20 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

Mmmk.

Be nice y'all. This shouldnt get put up into a heated argument or anything of the sorts. It's suppose to be about helping a friend thats in need.

I can understand the thoughts of wanting to see something to give money. Cause, why give money, even to a friend, when you arent sure if it'll work out. Don't want to be giving money for nothing. I can understand.

I can see also how a lot of comments are towards making the gofundme page look more professional, more... whats the word... I cant figure it but something that would make someone who doesn't know CJ want to give money towards him.

Asking for a video or some sort of clip when he doesn't really have the hardware/software is a bit much. Especially if he doesn't have the actors to do such a thing? But I can still see how it would be largely helpful to have something of the sorts.

Maybe some form of rough script? Something to show your story telling. Hell, even an old RP idea that shows how your mind work and gives insight into the Director you want to be. You might get people wanting to fund you that dont know you at all because they'd like to see that kind of thing in hollywood.

Asking for friends for support, thats fine, we shouldn't need anything from you to support you. Other people however, they'll need something to give money, even the smallest thing. I believe thats whats trying to be said but just being said in some rather... wrong(?) ways. To get the average person wanting to fund someone to actually fund them, you'll need to give them some sort of want to actually do it. Some sort of incentive. I dont mean like, HEY FUND ME AND I"LL PUT YOU IN A MOVIE. Or anything like that. But just putting something that would make someone go, Hey, this kid has some bright ideas and could be fresh for the business, I think I'll support his endeavors.

=/

I really hope that came out the way it sounded in my head and didnt in any way or means upset anyone. Just trying to say what I think everyone is really wanting to say on the subject....

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png