• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Discuss the amazing Gears of War series here.

Although I bought an Xbox 360 solely for Halo 3, Gears of War 1 helped tide me over until September 27, 2007. It's honestly one of the greatest games I've ever played. The story is very, very well written, the gameplay and cover-system is awesome.

Then, Gears of War 2 came out. That sealed the deal on the Gears series for me. Because of Gears 2, Gears of War is my third-favorite shooter series, behind Halo and CoD, of course.

Now I cannot wait for Gears of War 3. I'm loving how the CoGs have been disbanded and that EVERY human is now a Stranded. Can't wait to see how Epic Games ends this epic series.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

I just recently picked up the first gears and it's pretty fun. Just ended my first attempt at clearing it on insanity with a friend in the middle of the first act. It's fun, but I can't see myself playing the online. I'll likely be picking up 2 once i finish my insanity run of 1, since it's relatively inexpensive. It's a fun series, but the story isn't that gripping just yet. Maybe it'll pick up in 2.

147.png

#3 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

Gears 3 comes out on Monday O.O Didn't realize the date was THAT close. I think I'm gonna trade in my Wii so I can have some store credit to buy GoW3 with. Hopefully they give me enough money. I will be pissed if they don't take it off my hands for at least 50 bucks.

IGN gave Gears 3 a 9 out of 10. That's....actually great, though I was honestly expecting a 9.5 or higher. They're saying the story is on the same par as Gears 1 and 2, but not OVERWHELMING greater. They also said that Horde 2.0 will have you and your friends playing for HOURS, and that the online multiplayer is shittons better than Gears 2.

Again, I can't wait. This is gonna be one of the best games of 2011.

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system

#4 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

If you play Gears for the story you're doing it wrong. Gameplay should be good, Horde should be good, and it looks like a polished game, but I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Gears. I like it, but I don't think it's an amazing series.

147.png

#5 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

So I went to the midnight release and played the campaign for about an hour. Only on Act I - Chapter 3.

I'll say that again. After an hour of play, I'm ONLY on Act I - Chapter 3.

The level of desperation is definitely larger than the first two games and is present when the game opens right up. Can't wait to play it more when I get home from class.

Oh wait.....

#6 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Eh, an hour in and you're already what, halfway through Act 1 maybe? It depends on difficulty setting too. I can clear a lot of gears 1 on casual quickly but pump it to insane and it'll take significantly longer. Looking forward to my copy arriving, but I'm not super stoked for Gears 3. Horde will be a lot of fun and a big improvement over 2 (which I don't really like) and Beast Mode looks like a lot of fun but pretty broken once you unlock Berserkers, since they're more to less immune to bullets. I do like a lot of what Gears 3 looks to offer, but *shrugs* Gears competitive multiplayer doesn't appeal to me. Luckily the co-op does feel much better.

EDIT:

Just started playing. OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL. Why couldn't they do this from the first one!?

Edited by Valor, 20 September 2011 - 02:14 PM.

147.png

#7 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

LMFAO. I told you.

I beat the campaign earlier today. Omyfuckinggod. Honestly one of the best written stories in a video game, definitely better than 1 and 2 in my opinion. Multiplayer is fun, when you're not getting your ass handed to you. Only played about half-an-hour of Horde mode, but it IS significantly better than Gears 2 Horde from what I've seen and played. I've yet to play Beast mode.

Hands down, Gears 3 is one of the best games of 2011, and is a serious contender for Game of the Year.

Oh wait.....

#8 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

I felt that the campaign was still too short. When I can beat your game in literally a sit down when I come home from the prerelease....there is an issue. Love the story just saying more could have been done. I haven't tried Horde mode yet but from what I'm hearing it's gotten a massive overhaul so maybe the multiplayer will entertain me for a bit but game of the year I just don't see it. As always the gears series remains strong in gameplay but weak in length

#9 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

LMFAO. I told you.

You certainly did.

I beat the campaign earlier today. Omyfuckinggod. Honestly one of the best written stories in a video game

I'll chalk that up to excitement. You clearly lost yourself there. It was a competent story, but nothing ground breaking. You see a lot of it coming a mile away, especially the very end.

Only played about half-an-hour of Horde mode, but it IS significantly better than Gears 2 Horde from what I've seen and played. I've yet to play Beast mode.

Beast Mode is fun, but you'll wanna play with friends. Solo it gets boring pretty quickly. And frustrating.

I felt that the campaign was still too short.

=| Not sure if serious.

When I can beat your game in literally a sit down when I come home from the prerelease....there is an issue.

The game is five Acts long and most of them have 5+ chapters, most of which are not short. That being said, it's at least a 10-12 hour game if you play it solo on at least Hardcore. If you were able to beat it in a sit down, I'd say you're playing it on a way too easy difficulty.

My own opinion will probably come in the form of a written review on the main site in a few days. It's a solid game for what it's worth, but I don't think it's Game of the Year material, honestly. However, this is definitely worth a try if you're interested in third person shooters. More so than Gears 1 and 2.

147.png

#10 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

You certainly did.

=| Not sure if serious.

The game is five Acts long and most of them have 5+ chapters, most of which are not short. That being said, it's at least a 10-12 hour game if you play it solo on at least Hardcore. If you were able to beat it in a sit down, I'd say you're playing it on a way too easy difficulty.

I beat it on hardened (because I couldn't start on insane). in like 8 hours I didn't have class or work but I was expecting at least to take 15 hours or so. Idk I just feel a 10 hour campaign is too short but maybe it's cause I'm used to spending 20+ hours on a game without touching the multiplayer. I mean don't get me wrong it was still a solid game I just think they could have streached it out a bit.

#11 Riku-of-light

Riku-of-light

Page

• Page
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

Had a great time with the entire series, the 3rd one had me hooked with the multiplayer for a good amount of time. When the first gears came out, it was like EERRRRMAHHGEERDD THIS IS AWESOME, then they just upped the awesome slightly for the next 2.