#1 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

So from the Wii to the PS3 Move to the Xbox 360 Kinect, every game company seems to be suddenly targeting their systems toward "casual" gamers, potentially at the expense of their already-established loyal fanbases.

With the advent of all of this motion control in games, the three big companies, I feel, have entered into a downward spiral that will soon see people who only ever play Kinect/Move/Wii party games calling themselves "gamers." This bothers me mostly because for them to use that term to describe themselves, it takes away everything cool that once was behind that moniker. Skill, sleepless nights trying to beat Sonic 1 or 2 on Genesis, DEDICATION. These are the things that separate a gamer from a casual.

I am extremely upset at this direction. Next thing we know, we'll be seeing Kinect Sonic, where Sonic is popping balloons on screen or some other BS that makes him appealing to those "casuals."

I understand the want to appeal to casual gamers, but they seem as though they wish to alienate their hardcore gamers that have been playing their systems and perfecting their games for YEARS. Someone inject logic into the idea of Microsoft attempting to tone down the amount of shooting games on the 360 and eliminating the one genre of games that helps the system sell in Japan. Please.

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Posted Image

The Kinect is supposed to replace the controller. This isn't going to happen. Kinect is a gimmick unless proven otherwise. The Move has been shown to actually enhance or give a change of pace to the hardcore gamer's experience because you can use it as a controller as well as as a motion device. The Wii is pretty much a casual system with very very few exceptions.

If you think that the Kinect and Move are going to revolutionize gaming, you're crazy. There's a lot of hype, but in the end console gamers are very set in their ways. I ain't shelling out 150 bucks to be able to navigate my dashboard by waving my hands.

147.png

#3 qster

qster

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

Personally, I don't hate "casual" gamers, since a good majority of my family can be considered much. I do respect the fact that they, the "casuals", are actually playing video games, but it sucks that they are getting into low quality games.

For example, my Wii collection has only three games in it that can be considered hardcore- and I have 10 games total in that collection. The other seven are okay, but a good majority of them are low quality.

Honestly, I feel that companies need to work harder if they want more "casuals", since most companies make low quality, quick buck attempts at the casual market.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posted Image

#4 Bunny

Bunny

Squire

• Squire
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

For the most part I dislike the "casual" games they are good for mindless entertainment when one has nothing better to do (for example I have played My Sims Agents and Animal Crossing) but otherwise I don't understand them I sit there watching my siblings play a game that takes absolutely no skill whatsoever and continue playing it for long hours, I don't find the appeal in a game that is not going to challenge me. Now granted my siblings do have rather high scores on all our Ratchet and Clank games so they do play decent games but I still wonder at the point of cramming a bunch of random mini-games into one big game and then calling it a single game... Why would I pay $40 some odd bucks to play a collection of games I could find online for free?

I do enjoy the motion control for some thing since the Wii sports is pretty fun sometimes since I get to do the bowling. But otherwise I never really use the Wii unless I an old GC game and that doesn't happen very often let me tell you. In my family on your birthday you pick a game and that game is your birthday present you get to pick what the game is and it can be whatever you want. I almost couldn't pick one. There was absolutely no new games out that I had the console for that I actually cared about. None. I have a PS2, a DS, a Wii, and a GC, and almost didn't get a game because I couldn't find anything that didn't look like a piece of crud to me. I ended up picking a game that they don't even sell new anymore because it is a few years old and it was for the DS! Normally I have to spend weeks eliminating options and planning what I should pick. This year I was at a loss because everything seemed to be mindless.

I hope they fix this soon, I don't want to live in a world that doesn't use some form of a joystick anymore ;~;

Kingdom-Gaming, where up is down, down is triangle, and everybody hates Lexaeus.

Any dolt with half a brain
Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don’t know
If I’ll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main

Revenge is the poison we drink expecting our enemies to die.

#5 Maru

Maru

Page

• Squire
  • 201 posts
  • R.I.P. AnimeCrazy.net

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

I was rather annoyed when I found out that the third installment of the Sonic Riders series, Sonic Free Riders, was coming out for Kinect ONLY.I enjoyed these Sonic games too, but oh well.However, when I found out another Ape Escape game was being made for PS3 I was syched, since I own 1 and 2, but not 3(which is for the same console as 2).It may be a sort of casual game but it did have a bit of challenge in it, since certain types of monkeys were not so easy to catch.But when I found out that the next gen installment was going to be using PS Move as the controller I was at first like "What?" But the more I thought about it the more I found it could be interesting.After all, the first Ape Escape(which was for PS1) was the first PS1 game that made full use of the Dualshock controller(in other words you couldn't play it what so ever without one, and the controls for the game were very unique, different from how the other PS1 games were played that's for sure, and future installments of the series for the PS2 kept the unique controls from the first game).Anyway, I agree with what Rae said, I don't think Kinect will revolutionize gaming, and to me it will be more of a fad(albeit a small one) than a permanent way of game playng, and won't fully change how everyone plays games forever.And as for Move I may try it someday, or get one when the Ape Escape game being made for PS3 comes out eventually.

Edited by Maru, 13 November 2010 - 03:24 PM.

1xh6ju2xhdiv2z9lsom.jpg

"One must always plan a few moves ahead in battle." -Char Aznable

#6 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

The Kinect is supposed to replace the controller. This isn't going to happen. Kinect is a gimmick unless proven otherwise. The Move has been shown to actually enhance or give a change of pace to the hardcore gamer's experience because you can use it as a controller as well as as a motion device. The Wii is pretty much a casual system with very very few exceptions.

If you think that the Kinect and Move are going to revolutionize gaming, you're crazy. There's a lot of hype, but in the end console gamers are very set in their ways. I ain't shelling out 150 bucks to be able to navigate my dashboard by waving my hands.

I agree with this honestly. I can't see the Kinect staying around permanently really. It was the worst move for Microsoft to do really. The Move was actually a good move on Sony's part. It actually does a pretty nice job and allows you to play things a bit differently. I think we'll see more of the Move and less of Kinect. Playing games without controllers just seems a bit crappy to me. Maybe for a party game or so it's fine. But honestly, outside of that Kinect will really not have that great of an impact or selling point. I know Microsoft is trying to get gamers closer to the game, make them feel as if they are the controller. It's a good concept. I just don't think Kinect is the right way to do it. Still really early honestly for that kind of idea as well.

To add a bit, we'll see the companies try to get Casual gamers to play more. But if they start ignoring their main gamers and the ones that actually got the systems for hardcore gaming... we'll see a pretty big decline in gaming as a whole. I see it as this, the first company that actually starts thinking of the hardcore gamers and the ones that are more likely to buy more games, will most likely take the lead in terms of the 'console wars' Wii seems to only really care about Casuals. I always thought XBox was more hardcore gamers but they are slowly trying to get the Casuals as well. Sony is trying to do the same as Xbox, but it seems they aren't forgetting about their major fanbase either. If Kinect fails pretty badly and Sony can push the Move and come up with something else to keep Casuals and Hardcore gamers, they can probably 'win' the Console war.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#7 GVT

GVT

Page

• Page
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

The Wii always has been the poor man's console. It's simply not in league with the others and only serves to entertain, as you said, casual players. I guess it also confuses die-hard Nintendo fans into thinking that Nintendo is still alive and well and people who don't want to shell out about $100 more for a real console into thinking that they HAVE a real console...

The Move is here to be what the Wii never could: A reliable motion gaming peripheral on a serious system with HD graphics and real games. It's actually my Christmas present so I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet...

It's unfortunate that there seems to be such a bias against the Kinect here. Kinect itself is far more interesting than just a gimic and has a lot of potential, perhaps even moreso than the Move. My dad bought a Kinect and XB360 on a whim, don't ask me why - we aren't exactly loaded - but it seems to perform flawlessly. With it the XB360 has voice and face recognition and can follow your entire body - not just your hands, if that's what you took from presentations.
The reason why most all of the current games for it are the same trash as on the Wii is because Microsoft is - actually rather smartly - going to slowly release more serious titles. They don't want to drop a bunch of games out there that have you melee killing enemy combatants right away - Microsoft would be accused of enabling violent behavior or something else stupid like that. Just give them time on this one.

#8 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

Lol if Sony and Microsoft star going casual I bet you that Nitendo is going to start making hardcore games again! Seriously. I don't don't all companies will take that turn. It's a matter of finding their niche(though they all have one already). Like if Microsoft, and Nintendo become more casual Sony will become more hardcore. The market can be simple and difficult. And It's halfway about making money, so what's the purpose of risking losing money trying to turn casual gamers into, what? A more hardcore gamer? If their goal is to get more hardcore gamers...:/ well they're ignoring the market trends.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#9 KershaFangs

KershaFangs

Page

• Page
  • 212 posts
  • The Golden Lycan

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Ive thought of myself as a casual gamer, but from this context, casual gamers seem to be the ones who play the simpler, interactive family games. I can't shell out for all these accessory, I just play a game here and there, casually.