Photo
- - - - -

Fish/Seafood: What's the best and cheapest you've eaten?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

So, I really need to eat more Fish, or eat it in general. But I don't know where to start really. I need to ate seafood too. I love Crabs so I wonder if to try and get more of it. Not the imitation meat since that stuff is really nasty. But I don't know what types of fish to try. I've been told to try fried or baked Catfish. I heard Salmon is really nice as well.

I used to eat fishsticks all the time but now they don't seem to taste that great, so whats a good brand so I can try them out? As well, I can't really use ketchup with them so whats a good sauce to use besides Tartar sauce?

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#2 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

Umm...not a big seafood fan, so I can't really answer dem questions. Salmon was pretty good, though, and it's apparently a fish a lot of people like. I found flounder tasted pretty nice too, but I'm not sure of seafood outside of those two. Aside from shrimp, that is, but I absolutely hate shrimp. >.>;

Oh, and catfish does seem to be another popular one. No idea why...

2j87ib.jpg

#3 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:54 PM

I really hate the smell and taste of Shrimp so that's out. Same goes for crawfish too. Even though I was told I loved them as a child. I can't stand the smell of them now. I'm looking for nice easy seafood to eat. Nothing really big or fancy. Just some small little things to get me started.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#4 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

I like me some Snapper, those are nice tasting fish. Also some Hoki, Lemon fish, flounder. Tuna steaks are pretty nice too (not the ones in the can).

With Tuna steaks you just cook them like that and then you have a pretty sweet meal, though they can be pricey. I'm not sure if Lemon Fish is pricey, but it's worth trying because it is just really sweet and is great fried in batter or cooked just like that on the pan. Hoki is pretty cheap where I am, it's a very soft fish and flakey, tastes great. Flounder is real good, but it's such a pain to clean and de-bone, plus they are pretty pricey. Snapper is just good either way, fried, in the oven, smoked, whatever. Not raw though, I don't think any of these would be great raw :l

Also, you should try some Paua if you can find them cheap over there. Just find a good recipe to cook them and you're on your way. They are a little rubbery but they just taste great. Like Squid or octopus, they're pretty nice too.

I hate mussel though, yuck! The only time I've liked it was when my mom made it in this soup with tons of coconut cream in it. Clams are nice, however.

With seafood, you just gotta know how to cook them to make a nice meal :l There are certain ways you cook certain seafoods. I used to hate seafood but when we started to cook them PROPERLY (my mum and dad used to just put anything into a curry) I just couldn't get enough D:. Coconut milk/cream or just cream goes real good with seafood, best thing to add. Most seafood is not cheap though (funny enough, there are so much friggin fish in the sea and we have to pay so much for just one of them >:l).

You can make some nice curry out of canned Tuna and a few potatoes. Goes well with rice, great on a cold night. You can do lots of stuff with canned Tuna. Hate Fish fingers! There is the smallest bit of fish in there, the rest is just processed crap whihc is not good for you :l. Homemade fish fingers can be nice though, just coat a small strip of fish in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then fry them. Great with some fried chips.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#5 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

Never been a fan of tuna, again, the smell bothers me. =/

I do like the idea of serving fish with Curry though. That sounds really amazing and I'll have to try that. I suppose I'll go to the Asian market and pick up a few things once I can eat again. See what they suggest for me to have.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it you guys. =3

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#6 Rubicante

Rubicante

Page

• Page
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

Fried calamari=ZOMGAWD delicious. One of my personal favorites when it's made right. I forget some of my others but I'll get back to you on that :3 I eat alot of fish foods.