#1 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Which one is truly the better Pizza joint? I don't want to add in the sides that they offer or the deserts they give, none of that. I want this to come down to strictly their Pizza they offer. The comparison would be based off of taste and prices. The toppings they use, how good they are, how good the sauces are, etc.

I'd like it if people take this test of sorts, they would try one pizza from each place, the same pizza from each, and compare how much they liked each to one another. Then compare the price and how big the pizza is. Then they'd see whats the best pizza for their money then whats the best pizza in terms of actual taste.

I'll be getting a Papa Johns pizza for the football games this weekend. So I'll be ready for that one. Dominos has been done already for me so I'd just need Pizza Hut afterwards. I'd really like to see what Pizza joint KG likes the best and thinks is the best of them all.

I know there is a lot more Pizza places out there. But I went with the top 3 famous ones and most well known. I know there is probably way better places but these three are ones that most people would generally have available to them.

Join in with me if you can, I'll be posting rather long reviews of the pizza I get. Pretty in-depth details of what all I like and disliked. I'll try to get Kain to do the same and get reviews from my mother and father as well to give a fair bit into this. I thought it'd be something neat to try in the food section and if this works out nicely I'll try other things. Wings from different places, frozen TV dinners, and much much more.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#2 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

Cold Domino's Pizza > All other pizzas I have ever had that are considered "fast food" pizza.

147.png

#3 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Pizza hut, love those pizzas over any other pizza joints pizza's. Dominoes is just alright, too salty some of their pizzas. I've never been to Papa Joe's though. Might be an American only one, but I think I've seen some of their joints around here so I might investigate a little and see if I can find one.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#4 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Can't say I've had pizza too much lately, but Dominos I always found to taste the best out of these three places. As far as the amount/quality of the pizza for your dollar goes, though, you're looking at the wrong person.

2j87ib.jpg

#5 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

For what I've done in the first part of all this, I went and took the prices down of what a Large Pepperoni Pizza is at all these places. Dominos is 11 for a Large. Pizza Hut is 10 dollars for a Large and Papa Johns is 11. I will say that Pizza hut and Papa Johns allows you to get any amount of toppings and any pizza for those prices. So I could get much more on these pizzas and pay the same. So I'm pretty much not taking advantage of their deal by any means. Dominos is a straight up 11 for just the Pepperoni. Anything else gets another 1.50 added for toppings. So the price war goes to Pizza Hut right now, but just barely. All pizzas are 14 inches in size as well.

(Just to say, there is a place called Joes Pizza close by that has Large Pizzas for 12.50. And they are 16 inches. So they're 'better' for the price. Their dough is pretty thin though. Something like a New York style pizza. Big slices but they are thin, compared to the thick slices you get on hand tossed pizzas with the top 3 I listed. Just thought I'd give a comparison of how a local place can be better while at the same time might not.)

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#6 Axel Ryman

Axel Ryman

Page

• Page
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

Never had Papa John's, haven't had Pizza Hut in years, so I'd have to go with Dominoes. Outside the listed 3, I'd go with my local one at Kelly's Pub. Best damn pizza I could ever have. Large cheese goes for about $10-$11 I think but for every pizza you order you get a coupon. With 7 of them, you get 1 Large Cheese pizza for free, and they give you another coupon even WITH the free pizza! Seriously it's so good between me and my mom there's never any left, and if there is, it's gone the next day.

#7 Xanius

Xanius

The Omega

• Emperor
  • 3,525 posts
  • Awakening

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

They do the same thing at my local pizza place, Joes. It's a bit different since it's 12 they need for a free pie. But you get one for every Medium Pizza and above you buy. I had a party once and got 4 pies for my birthday. 4 Mediums, cost us 28 dollars for them. Got 4 vouchers with it. Ended up crossing the 12 mark with the 4 and called up Joes the next day when my best friend came over to do another birthday party for ourselves, we share a birthday really so yea, but you get a large pizza with any toppings for free. Place knows us so well that we get the free Pizza and they'll throw in free fries and a 2-liter at times. Haven't for awhile since money is tight for them and we don't order as much. But it was really awesome for them to treat us better then normal since we were great costumers and always ordered every Friday and maybe Saturday nights.

To make note on this comparison, I have had all three before in my life, it had been at different times and all three chains have changed their Pizzas. If I compare each one currently to when I had them and when they were at their best, Dominos would be the winner. Nothing can ever truly beat the old Dominos taste of Pizzas. I have no idea why they changed in the first place. They made the most amazing Pizzas and you could get those Chicken Kickers with them which was out of this world. Prices weren't the greatest of course though.

I remember Pizza Hut being an okay place when I had it years ago, nothing too special about them. Bland sauce, bland cheese, bland everything really. It was just a Pizza to me. Nothing to call it special or one made from a specific spot really.

Papa Johns, I remember the sauce a lot. A whole hell of a lot. I remember that's what made the pizza really. The cheese was surely different, the pepperoni was different, it was a very different experience compared to normal Pizza. It wasn't really bad but you can tell they had their own ingredients and didn't just buy their things, everything was hand made by them.

From all the old times when I had them, Dominos wins out. They'd get a solid 9/10. Papa Johns a 8/10 and Pizza Hut a 5/10. Many things have changed so we'll see how things are nowadays. All three have changed their Pizzas and I want to see who is the best in the current day and age.

After I compare all three of these guys I might go compare frozen pizzas if you want. I'd need some brand names though. Theres Digiornos, Red Baron, Freschetta, Mama Rosa's, California Pizza Kitchen, Tombstone, and Tonys. I won't do them all since that's a lot to have to get and eat and it's not really healthy to do that... so I'll just have you guys pick the 5 you know the best. So please pick the 5 you all know the best and I'll try them. Throw in a name you know that you see at a Walmart, Acme, Giant, or whatever other food store and I'll see if I've ever seen them at all.

Omega_Xanius.png

17ddgi.png

#8 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

You forgot to list Krusty Krab Pizza.

Pizza Hut has some really nice deals and their pizza is really good when served hot, so it definitely takes the coin for me. Papa Johns on the other hand, it closer to our house, so we usually get that delivered and only go out to eat Pizza Hut. I like their pizza warm, since its gross cold. But as Val said, Dominoes definitely takes the cake for cold pizza. I don't like their pizza as warm as Pizza Hut pizza or Papa John's pizza.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#9 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

There used to be a Pizza Hut we'd get delivery from, but they closed down when I was a kid. Ever since then the only time I ever got Pizza Hut was during their all you can eat buffet hours. The pizza isn't the best, and it's greasy as shit, but it's amazing when it's all you can eat. I haven't had a pizza proper from them in a long time, but it's pretty good.

I never liked Papa Johns all too much because it's a weird mixture of the ingredients for whatever reason and has a slightly off taste to me. *shrugs* Not a huge fan of their crust. Crust makes or breaks a pizza for me.

So I go with Dominos. The prices are really stupid if you don't get coupons with them, but there's always so many that I can always find something good. Last two times I ordered from them they had a special for getting a medium 2 topping or a bread side for 5.99 each. So a medium sausage and peppers (god among pizza) and a side of cheesy bread. Pretty amazing.

Best experience I had with pizza was when I was schooling in Georgia. Me and my roommate drove to Dominos one day and just ordered cheesy bread for the both of us. Like two things of it each. It was fantastic. We got hooked on cheesy bread and found a local place that did even better cheesy bread in the form of an actual large pizza. To this day, I still miss that stuff. It was so so so bad for you but also the absolute best thing in the entire world.

#10 Dexel Hydagara

Dexel Hydagara

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,310 posts
  • Arcade Adept

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Dominos is great cold and hot. But hey, that's me.

At any rate, just bought Tombstone's tonight, got two pizzas since they had a sale ( 2 for $4.00 ). I gotta say, for a pizza cheaper than Red Baron and all the others ( $4.00 a pizza when not on sale ), it's pretty damn good. I can't really tell you details on what about it's better ( sauce, cheese, etc ), I have a hard time separating what I taste unless the different things are really different. If I remember correctly, though, it's also a tad smaller than the others. I didn't really look at the measurements before cooking them and throwing out the packaging, unfortunately.

If you're looking for a quick fix for dinner but don't really have money to do much shopping right away, it's a pretty nice option, I daresay.

EDIT: Oh, oh, quick comparison on prices! I'm pretty sure these are what they were, but my memory has proven me wrong before. I'll take another trip to Publix soon-ish to see if these prices were correct.

Tombstone: $4.00
Red Baron: $5.25 or $5.75
Digiornos: ~$6.25

Edited by Dexel, 19 January 2012 - 07:10 PM.

2j87ib.jpg