• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

USERNAME REDACTED
SIGN IN COMPLETE
System Boot in 5

Welcome, USER

Hyperdrive Status: 99.8%
Time to Arrival: 3 Hours and 347 seconds.
USER Health Status: Stable
Blood Infusion: COMPLETED. COMPATIBLE SPECIMEN
Ionized Core Temperatures: Normal
USER Stasis time: 1254 hours, 43 minutes and 34 seconds.

Welcome USER, to the IIP. As according to procedure in our relocation program, you have been woken 3 hours before the arrival of batch 513114, CODENAME STELLA. As part of our highly selective program, your blood has been infused with IGA. Exercise caution while using your new prowess. Please watch your step out of the pod.

The year is 2094. Earth had gradually become uninhabitable and has depleted its energy sources. Looking towards the skies, mankind eventually found a more suitable planet to inhabit in sector E452. Naming the planet Icarus, a mass relocation program called the Icarus Inhabitance Program was launched in 2076. Having nearly twice the radius of earth, the population on Icarus is still low and the colonies are far and spread out, however. A relatively new planet, Icarus does not have a stable source of energy in the form of natural oils and gas deposits.

You

You are part of the EFI [Energy For Icarus], an organization working on finding a permanent solution to the energy crisis that mankind now faces and the primary benefactor for Icarus. You embark on the spaceship STELLA with an elite crew that travels to a asteroid cluster under orders from the UIN [United Icarus Nations] to investigate a source of energy.

How it Works

Template:

Name:
Sex:
Appearance: [All characters are expected to wear state of the art space armor. ie You may not have shorts and the such. This armor may be personalized to an extent but the basic structure is the same. Outside of "space situations" you may have a separate outfit. Don't worry, you won't spend the majority of the RP in space suit status.]

Abilities and Stats: [Your character has been infused with IGA [Ionized Growth Agent]. Aside from having basic stats such as Endurance, Intelligence etc you are allowed to have 3 abilities that are specialized. A list of available abilities will be made later.]

Weapon/s: [You are allowed special equipment that fit with the environment. Be creative.]

Biography: [Optional. You don't have to disclose anything if you don't want to.]

Edited by Dion, 26 May 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#2 Ralor

Ralor

Knight

• Knight
  • 781 posts
  • A Musical Madman

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Is this a spaceballs spinoff?

Sig312.jpg

Im dum.

Shhhhh. It's okay. We understand.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3989-9578
Nintendo Network ID: Niroji

Steam: Musical Madman

#3 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

No it is not.

#4 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Here are my questions. Please respond.

1. Why is the Bio optional? Wouldn't everyone be subject to a full background check if they are being trusted with such a serious mission?

2. Are there alien races in this universe? If so, what are they like? Hostile? Friendly? What sorts of creatures are they? Mammalian? Reptilian? Single-celled?

3. Are these "abilities" going to be like "magic?" In other words, would we have the ability to create or control Aristotle's elements of Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Aether? If so, how do you intend to make those skills logically based in Science Fiction, rather than making it Fantasy-based?

4. What does the space suit look like? You said that they would all basically look the same, but nowhere did you describe what it actually looks like.

5. What sorts of weaponry will we be employing? Will it mainly be guns and the like? If not, how do you intend to justify someone wielding a sword in a futuristic setting?

That's all for now. I'll come up with more later. >.<

a5g7ld.gif

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) u can't own black people

Kingroy: ( 4:40 PM - 02/10/14) #ThanksLincoln

#5 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

1. Why is the Bio optional? Wouldn't everyone be subject to a full background check if they are being trusted with such a serious mission?

Bio is optional primarily because the people within the ship would not know each other's past. But yes, I see that you do have a point.

2. Are there alien races in this universe? If so, what are they like? Hostile? Friendly? What sorts of creatures are they? Mammalian? Reptilian? Single-celled?

As of now, I have no aliens planned. No space zombies like in Dead Space either. I can incorporate them into the story if you guys want, though. nbd.

3. Are these "abilities" going to be like "magic?" In other words, would we have the ability to create or control Aristotle's elements of Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Aether? If so, how do you intend to make those skills logically based in Science Fiction, rather than making it Fantasy-based?

Abilities in this sense would work more like super powers but less broad in that you can't have someone running at 100mph. Since in "space situations", Fire, Wind, Earth and Water would be useless, I would recommend abilities such as energy fields or something. You may also draw reference from Plasmids in Bioshock, as that is what IGA is intended to be like. You may find new IGAs and replace your old abilities with new ones at a later point in the game.

4. What does the space suit look like? You said that they would all basically look the same, but nowhere did you describe what it actually looks like.

I haven't really figured it out yet since I don't know how many people will be joining and if it's worth the effort to draw it out. I will draw it out if I get enough people's interest peaked, tho.

5. What sorts of weaponry will we be employing? Will it mainly be guns and the like? If not, how do you intend to justify someone wielding a sword in a futuristic setting?

Anything from guns to lasers and flamethrowers. Think Dead Space in weaponry. You may also use something more conventional, if you so wish; like a sword or a lance. Your weaponry will be able to do a number of things that it wouldn't be able to Fantasy based RPs. Like cut metal and stuff.

Edited by Dion, 27 May 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#6 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Bio is optional primarily because the people within the shop would not know each other's past. But yes, I see that you do have a point.

Eh. The fact that the players should be ignorant of each other's pasts means nothing. YOU, as the GM, should be knowledgeable about the pasts of all of the characters you accept. Someone may have decided for their character to be a serial killer or someshit, and then they start killing people or at least trying to kill people because of them being a sociopath. This is something which would be seen in a background check. Something which would cause them to NOT be accepted onto the mission. It's important for YOU to know. And yes, I am aware that this is a VERY extreme example, but I'm sure you could come up with more relevant examples yourself.

As of now, I have no aliens planned. No space zombies like in Dead Space either. I can incorporate them into the story if you guys want, though. nbd.

I only asked if they existed. None planned is good. :>

Abilities in this sense would work more like super powers but less broad in that you can't have someone running at 100mph. Since in "space situations", Fire, Wind, Earth and Water would be useless, I would recommend abilities such as energy fields or something. You may also draw reference from Plasmids in Bioshock, as that what IGA is intended to be like. You may find new IGAs and replace your old abilities with new ones at a later point in the game.

Bioshock has plasmids which do things like that, though. And how would you produce an energy field around yourself without some sort of technology? I don't know, maybe I'm just looking too deeply into this. I just always assume that futuristic things are heavily based in sci-fi, not fantasy, so I much prefer it when all aspects of it can be explained by logical pseudo-science.

I haven't really figured it out yet since I don't know how many people will be joining and if it's worth the effort to draw it out. I will draw it out if I get enough people's interest peaked, tho.

piqued*

Anything from guns to lasers and flamethrowers. Think Dead Space in weaponry. You may also use something more conventional, if you so wish; like a sword or a lance. Your weaponry will be able to do a number of things that it wouldn't be able to Fantasy based RPs. Like cut metal and stuff.

How would a flamethrower work in space? And I don't consider swords and lances conventional. I'm just very curious as to how someone who wields a sword would be able to do anything at all against someone with a laser gun. And, on the flip side, how you would expect any opponents to be able to hold their own against a team of laser gun toting soldiers if they are not also humans (since aliens have not yet been considered) with guns. And if they ARE humans with guns, I would be very confused as to their motives in trying to stop humans from sustaining their own species...

If any of that is related to actual plot points, feel free to ignore it or answer it with silly, false information. >_>;

But if they are not humans with guns, then they would likely be some sort of monsters or mutated humans or whatever shit and then they would either be incredibly susceptible to gunfire or they'd have to somehow magically be immune/resistant against it.

OH. Thought of another question.

What kinds of flora and fauna can we expect to see on Icarus? Is it all the same as Earth? If so, how and why? If not, then do you plan to create intricate, diverse ecosystems complete with predator, prey, and food source which vary based upon the environment in which they live?

a5g7ld.gif

#7 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Bioshock has plasmids which do things like that, though. And how would you produce an energy field around yourself without some sort of technology? I don't know, maybe I'm just looking too deeply into this. I just always assume that futuristic things are heavily based in sci-fi, not fantasy, so I much prefer it when all aspects of it can be explained by logical pseudo-science.

IGAs are Ionized Growth Agents. They serve to establish an "ionized core" within the person that is infused with them, like a battery. That energy is dissipated through the armor that the player would wear. The dissispators can be located at areas like the palm of the hand to give an effect like Iron Man or something. And Plasmids in Bioshock don't all work exactly like magic from Fantasy games. There are several that do things like create illusions and give telekinetic powers. In any case, the list of abilities that I will make will be no less than 30.

How would a flamethrower work in space? And I don't consider swords and lances conventional. I'm just very curious as to how someone who wields a sword would be able to do anything at all against someone with a laser gun. And, on the flip side, how you would expect any opponents to be able to hold their own against a team of laser gun toting soldiers if they are not also humans (since aliens have not yet been considered) with guns. And if they ARE humans with guns, I would be very confused as to their motives in trying to stop humans from sustaining their own species...

Well, not all parts of the RP will be spent outside in space. A flamethrower was just an example of what you could possibly use. As far as the whole Sword vs Gun thing, I'll be incorporating the scripts I wrote for TZB and revamping them to make an intricate battle system. Weapons will also have classes of sorts. Short range weapons will naturally be more devastating than long range ones etc. I'll keep the details of who you'd be expecting to face to myself for now, though.

What kinds of flora and fauna can we expect to see on Icarus? Is it all the same as Earth? If so, how and why? If not, then do you plan to create intricate, diverse ecosystems complete with predator, prey, and food source which vary based upon the environment in which they live?

Icarus is a lot like prehistoric earth. As a planet in its early stages, it does not have as many organisms, but yes, it will have a separate ecosystem. The flora would be very similar in that it's dependent on water and sunlight. The size, on the other hand, would be much larger than that on Earth; with tree like organisms growing as tall as 200 meters. Fauna is primarily reptilian and amphibious, inhabiting the largely swamp like environments. It will be more elaborated on during the second half of the RP when the team will return to Icarus.

#8 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

I'm cautiously interested in this

147.png

#9 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm cautiously interested in this

Why cautiously? D:

#10 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Because I'm not too sure where this roleplay is going or what the IGAs will be like. I would almost say that the setting of space exploration and stuff like that may be better run as a survival horror. Not sure if I like the idea of a bunch of "energy scouters" being heavily armed to the teeth with battle ready prowess.

147.png

#11 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Because I'm not too sure where this roleplay is going or what the IGAs will be like. I would almost say that the setting of space exploration and stuff like that may be better run as a survival horror. Not sure if I like the idea of a bunch of "energy scouters" being heavily armed to the teeth with battle ready prowess.

IGAs would basically be like plasmids, in a sense. You'll have a choice and choose 3 of them and through different points in the story, I'll give you the option to change the IGAs and introduce newer, stronger ones.

Also, as for the "armed to the teeth" bit, I wouldn't say they're a whole force of mercenaries. This is an expedition to find a new source of energy; not to traverse hostile environments. So numerous super strong weapons won't be allowed. Also, each weapon will have stats that may not exceed a certain threshold. In case of multiple weapons, I will make separate accommodations.

And I'm sure you can tell that the whole premise of the story is not finding a new energy source. The RP WILL have many survival horror elements; just not to the point where it would be comparable to say, Dead Space. You can think of it as a Bioshock/Dead Space hybrid, I guess.

#12 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

IGAs are Ionized Growth Agents. They serve to establish an "ionized core" within the person that is infused with them, like a battery. That energy is dissipated through the armor that the player would wear. The dissispators can be located at areas like the palm of the hand to give an effect like Iron Man or something. And Plasmids in Bioshock don't all work exactly like magic from Fantasy games. There are several that do things like create illusions and give telekinetic powers. In any case, the list of abilities that I will make will be no less than 30.

What is an "ionized core" and how would that allow people to use supernatural powers at all? Like does it just create some sea of ions inside of you or something? People already have myriad ions in their blood at any one time. How does this core allow people to do anything more special than what we can do now? How do we even control it? How does it not kill the people it's put into?

Well, not all parts of the RP will be spent outside in space. A flamethrower was just an example of what you could possibly use. As far as the whole Sword vs Gun thing, I'll be incorporating the scripts I wrote for TZB and revamping them to make an intricate battle system. Weapons will also have classes of sorts. Short range weapons will naturally be more devastating than long range ones etc. I'll keep the details of who you'd be expecting to face to myself for now, though.

Protip. Swords were outmoded by guns because guns kill people quickly and efficiently. Armor can stop sword swings. Bullets can be designed to pierce armor. Lasers can definitely not be stopped by any armor, except MAYBE for Lead-based armors. I don't see how a sword could possibly compete with any sort of ranged weaponry. A marksman would take one shot and take down any sort of sword-wielding infantry. If you intend to allow short range weapons, I want to know how they are supposed to compete. Differences in "damage" output are silly and will not work or be logical. If I shoot someone in the face, compared to me slashing someone across the chest... The gunshot should do the same amount of damage (or more) than the slash (especially if the slash hits armor).

a5g7ld.gif

#13 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I really do believe swords could compete in guns in a Sci-Fi or Fantasy RP. Just make the users of swords more ninja-ish. Why? Because they must be extremely fast. And if they're going to be more like a knight they must then carry HEAVY armor with them at all times but the armor must not be so cost effective with mobility or something has to support their personal mobility like bionics or rocket boosters or something.

If you look at the Phantom from ME3 they are agile, fast, and deadly. Phantom - Mass Effect Wiki - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, walkthroughs and more These guys are not supposed to be hit though. If they are they'll take massive damage.

You can also look to Raiden from MGS4 MGS4 The Raiden Battle - YouTube OR any of the other Cyborg-Ninjas for examples.

:> I mean I'm certain that through the years there would be a large growth in bionics so these ideas don't seem that far fetched.

Or maybe I'm missing the point O_o?

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#14 Secret Igshar

Secret Igshar

Pwner of Noobs

• Monarch
  • 3,796 posts
  • your worst nightmare

User's Awards

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

You are. The point I'm making is Dion doesn't seem to have any concrete ideas on how short and long range weaponry would compete with each other in this particular universe. I know it's been done before in other media, and I cannot say I agree with the way it's ever been done in those places, since the very idea of dodging bullets is ludicrous. They travel faster than the speed of sound. In this case we may also be talking laser weaponry, which would travel at the speed of light. Dodging those shots would be next to impossible (if they are aimed well, of course). And no, please do not quote Vash the Stampede as an example of bullet dodging.

I'm not talking about the idea of dodging bullets, I'm talking about a swordsman realistically closing the distance between himself and his gunner opponent before he's been killed. If said swordsman can dodge every bullet, then suddenly your long range weapons are terrible and useless. If he cannot dodge them, then the swordsman would be killed long before he reaches the gunner.

I want to hear Dion's ideas of how he intends to deal with this, since he has expressed that people will be able to wield swords or lances.

a5g7ld.gif

#15 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

You are. The point I'm making is Dion doesn't seem to have any concrete ideas on how short and long range weaponry would compete with each other in this particular universe. I know it's been done before in other media, and I cannot say I agree with the way it's ever been done in those places, since the very idea of dodging bullets is ludicrous. They travel faster than the speed of sound. In this case we may also be talking laser weaponry, which would travel at the speed of light. Dodging those shots would be next to impossible (if they are aimed well, of course). And no, please do not quote Vash the Stampede as an example of bullet dodging.

Bullet Dodging wasn't really what I had in mind anyway. I was just going to make an accuracy formula and a damage formula, with long range weapons being more accurate over distance but less devastating than short range weapons. Players would have HP and all. That's what I had in mind. I'm open to other ideas, if you have any; since idk if this way to do battles is better suited for this genre of RP.

I'm not talking about the idea of dodging bullets, I'm talking about a swordsman realistically closing the distance between himself and his gunner opponent before he's been killed. If said swordsman can dodge every bullet, then suddenly your long range weapons are terrible and useless. If he cannot dodge them, then the swordsman would be killed long before he reaches the gunner.

I want to hear Dion's ideas of how he intends to deal with this, since he has expressed that people will be able to wield swords or lances.

Essentially, the battle system would work just like any other RP but would be a little more like TNL (but simplified in that all your stats and damage and such is visible to you). I wanted to make a point that in this universe, if you die, you do die. So each move has to be calculated and thought out. But at the same time, I do want to give the players some space for error. So yeah. Feedback is welcomed and appreciated.