• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

So. Am I the only one who has played this game(I've only played the demo but I've been following it)? From what I have seen in gameplay walkthroughs and words from developers and designers this game is fcuked up...in the good way.
How is that good? Lemme get to it.

Spec Ops: The Line is a FPS game. When most people hear FPS they think typical shooters where you have a hero who is like a savior of the battlefield who always know what to do. You might not want to admit it but it's usually the case for most games. Spec Ops: The Line puts you in control of Delta operative Captain Walker who leads the gritty Adams and the lighthearted Lugo.

Their team was shot down in a helicopter as they were traveling to Dubai, where they are supposed to do some reconnaissance on a Colonel Konrad who has went rogue with his 33rd Division in Dubai. Because of massive sandstorms Dubai has become a wasteland where people are dying left and right. The 33rd Division, on their way from Afghanistan, declare martial law and attempt to save the city through their own means which are from what you can tell at beginning of the game quite brutal. Capt'n Walker decides that instead of just sticking to orders he must help out and save the citizens with his team. Sounds familiar right?

Truthfully the game plays the players with such familiarity. As you progress you figure out that everything is not what it seems and that the hero you're playing with isn't really a hero. By the end of the game you realize just how fcuked up the choices you made were and how the situation would be 100x better if YOU had actually died...

Now earlier I said it's fcuked up and that makes it a good thing. Well as you can see this isn't your typical FPS. But that's a horrible way of describing this. It's actually a psychological trip inside of a FPS. In-game you have a shit-load of hallucinations and mental breakdowns and most are not as exploited as you think. I say exploited because they could have took this in a completely different direction. There is one scene where you walk pass a tree that's really bright and full of leaves. It's hopeful. However, when you turn your back to check again it's leaves are nowhere to be seen, not even on the ground and it's devoid of life. No hope is left. Oh and in the very beginning you have a sweet, if I do say so for an action game, chopper shoot down in the skies of Dubai. Later on at the near end of the game, you get on a helicopter again and you play the same level, again. If you weren't paying attention the first time, which some people really do not, then you might assume it's a flashback but the truth is it's not.

It's twisted, ultra-yet actually-realistic-violence, and the mind bending ride that comes with is good because it's more about challenging you as a player, a person instead of challenging your skills. I'm not the only one who watch scenes and just pause to wrap my head around it, I have actually seen a many comments from viewers of walkthroughs about the game's intensity and stories of people who have played the game and decided they couldn't play it anymore. This is kind of a good sign. In a world where we've become so jaded towards things such as violence through videogames and other medias, this FPS, one of the genres that have been called bland recently, actually decides to confront the player instead of just selling itself as the next awesome shooter with realistic gameplay. In my opinion this could show the next evolution of games as an art-form but sadly it's not getting as much hype as other games like CoD and Battlefield are getting right now so it's kind of getting ignored...

Anyway that's my feelings on Spec Ops: The Line, I would definitely like to hear yours.

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#2 Blade

Blade

Administrator

• Monarch
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've seen a preview of it when I went to watch TDKR. It's so realistic looking and I hear the storyline is nothing short of superb. I will actually be getting it.

#3 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Oh I get the video now. It really needed context. Sounds good that something new and honest is happening.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

#4 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I've seen a preview of it when I went to watch TDKR. It's so realistic looking and I hear the storyline is nothing short of superb. I will actually be getting it.

O_o They showed a trailer for it at the movies? Kinda surprised but then I don't go to the movies that much.

@Kuya <.< should've added why it was so effed up but yeah. Tho even without added info isn't it kind of messed up to you know kill two guys in front of you who are talking about trying to find peace? That's what I took from it when I saw it again. And honestly I've played that part in the demo and I did not take notice to those words in fact most of the times I ran through this part, I tried to rush in and ignore their words. @_@ Makes me feel like a monster.

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#5 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wait, I thought you were playing as the people talking. You're actually the guys from the bottom of the stairs? ...That's fucked up.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”

#6 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

@_@ Wait huh? Spec Ops: The Line is FUCKED UP. - YouTube You're the guy shooting at those guys down the stairs.

#7 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Dude
>Tho even without added info isn't it kind of messed up to you know kill two guys in front of you who are talking about trying to find peace?
>kill two guys in front of you who are talking about trying to find peace?
>two guys in front of you who are talking about trying to find peace?

come on, man.

11vpmw8.jpg

— Mark Twain

#8 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

:> Oh I thought you meant something else in that earlier post. <.< But yeah it is effed up.