• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

DLC has become a normal thing for games, save Nintendo but WiiU will have it, and story-progressing or story-enhancing DLCs are popping up for certain games. I see it as evolution and I understand it. What I do not understand is the bitterness and hate that these DLCs get i.e. Mass Effect's DLC. That's one game that CONTINUES to give it's players something to do for a cheap $5-$10.

All I ever hear about is "Why wasn't it put on the CD from the beginning? It's just a way to make money." The funny thing is that there are many justifiable reasons for them to not have put the DLC on there, whether it's because of timing, new ideas, stability, or simply to help fund the project and make more money. I don't get how people can rage against such a cool process. Imo DLC will be a way for developers to keep a series going without having to throw a new game out every 12 months. This in turn would help the video game economy by allowing Indies or New Projects to be put on the market with less stress (competition can make a game good but market stress can utterly destroy it) allowing the developers to be more imaginative instead of having to focus their games on a specific niche or have a similar structure to other popular, trendy games.

And I mean there are multiple ways DLC can be used. DLC can add-on or enhance a story. It can give you better game play. It can fix some issues that have been going on, although this would be considered a patch depending on it's form. It can give you the ability to customize certain aspects in a game.

<.< I just don't see why DLC is being stifled all of the time by players when it should be something that we don't question why was it made but how does this change my gaming experience or what can it bring to the table?

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#2 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Mass Effect 3's DLC was questioned because they released it the day it was released. Launch Day DLCs. Tell me that isn't bullshit.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#3 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

<.< Time restraints? Also which DLC was that exactly again?

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#4 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

>time constraints.

pfft. yeah right. they could have pushed the release date if they needed. but yeah, ME3 has a day one DLC. >_>

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#5 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Pffffffffffft.

Trilogy Finale. Angry fans. Push back another day.

That's silly. But if it was a BS DLC sure but if it was something big then I definitely can't be mad here.

#6 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Pffffffffffft.

Trilogy Finale. Angry fans. Push back another day.

That's silly. But if it was a BS DLC sure but if it was something big then I definitely can't be mad here.

>$60 for game
>$10 for multiplayer pass for multiplayer included on disc (DLC)
>$10 for veteran mode for game (DLC)

You're basically paying 20 extra bucks for stuff that usually comes built in on games so don't even, King.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#7 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

>.> Multiplayer pass? Doesn't that come with the game? At least that's how it's supposed to work...

#8 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

>.> Multiplayer pass? Doesn't that come with the game? At least that's how it's supposed to work...

Yeah. No. This is why everyone made a big deal about Mass Effect 3's DLC.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#9 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Plus, no one really complains about DLC that much, anyway. Name one other game that got a lot of DLC hate besides ME3

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#10 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

._- I can't lol. I go on IGN forum and hear people complain about random games with DLC and stuff. Things like map packs and more.

#11 Dion

Dion

Knight

• Knight
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, exactly. Bioware just made some really really stupid marketing decisions with ME3. The ending got negative reactions, too. So they just made a new one lol. ME3 was kinda filled with fails.

...V HAS COME TO...

dQqhfU.gif

ngoahxS.jpg

#12 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Ohh Boy. Here we go.

>time constraints.

pfft. yeah right. they could have pushed the release date if they needed. but yeah, ME3 has a day one DLC. >_>

Wrong. This DLC was started when the game went Gold. When a game goes Gold, it's done. You send it off to make copies of and it is then sold for retail price. The company is still sitting around doing nothing, so they start making DLC. Then it's ready for launch because it's been like three+ months of them sitting on their hands working on it and people get mad.

However, what the real shit is is when DLC is already on the disc and you pay for a 100+KB file that unlocks it. That's garbage. That's partially what Mass Effect 3's DLC was since the DLC in question was the Prothean character DLC.

Parts of it was done already and sound files were scraped off of the demo of the game, hinting at his existence. Then they charge 10 bucks for the DLC. For content that was already done. That's bad.

>$60 for game
>$10 for multiplayer pass for multiplayer included on disc (DLC)
>$10 for veteran mode for game (DLC)

You're basically paying 20 extra bucks for stuff that usually comes built in on games so don't even, King.

This is so wrong I don't even.

Multiplayer passes are FREE with new copies of the game that were bought new.

If you buy USED then you need to pay for the multiplayer pass to access online content. Because when you buy used, that sale isn't going to the company who made the game. This is kind of bullshit, but kind of not. At least they then made ten dollars on the sale of a game second hand.

the 10 bucks was for an entire mission + character + a few weapons. If it was released a few months post launch, you wouldn't see issues. It wasn't. Therefore, issues.

Plus, no one really complains about DLC that much, anyway. Name one other game that got a lot of DLC hate besides ME3

That's bullshit. There's a lot of griping about DLC like that, especially around Capcom, who charges you for shitty fucking characters for their shitty fucking cash in games so that you can get the one character that you actually want and end up paying a ton of money for just one decent character.

Companies cutting content from the game to release as DLC down the line instead of including it on the disc. For example, in Darksiders 2 there's a quest in the game that you can hunt a few monsters. It's already in the game since you can see the monsters, but you can't access the quest because the DLC was early access given away depending on where you got the game. Kind of silly, isn't it?

Recently, companies have been following the Season Pass model of DLC that I believe was first done with Gears of War 3. Basically, you're prepaying for a block of DLC that will be coming out instead of buying it individually, plus you save a few bucks. This is kind of nice, but it's still like 30 bucks for DLC, which is kind of insane. Granted, the Gears of War DLC was worth it with what they offered, but still.

When I bought Darksiders 2, I bought it straight from THQ and they were giving away a free season pass with a retail copy bought so that you get three DLC packs for free just for buying from them.

Halo 4 Limited Edition comes with the first three map packs included in the 99 dollar price tag (along with regular extra shit that goes with those packs). There's a lot of things happening with DLC and different ways companies are going about offering it. Many people want this kind of stuff with the 60 dollar disc that they purchase. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

To be fair, however, most people just complain about Disc-Locked Content, which happens a hell of a lot more than you might think it does.

Yeah, exactly. Bioware just made some really really stupid marketing decisions with ME3. The ending got negative reactions, too. So they just made a new one lol. ME3 was kinda filled with fails.

Except that the game itself was pretty brilliantly executed and was one of the best titles of the year. When all you can criticize about a 30+ hour game is the last two minutes, that's pretty damn impressive I think.

And aside from the DLC snaffu at launch there hasn't been any garbage about ME3 since. The ending DLC was also completely free and came with a few other free multiplayer add ons. But yeah. Filled with fail >_>

147.png