#1 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

So I was on kotaku when I found a really interesting sounding article linked to penny arcade:

The PA Report - The power of review scores: how critics have more control over sales than we think

It seemed pretty stupid, not accounting for the outliers like CoD that shipped a ton of copies and helped to drive numbers way up and all that sort of thing. I was not impressed.

Then the middle section was about three groups of people exposed to Plants versus Zombies who never heard about it. A group was shown good reviews, a group shown no reviews, and a group shown low reviews. They then played the game and were asked to rate it.

Those shown good reviews rated it at 85/100. They were shown review scores of 91/100

Those with no reviews rated it at 79/100

Those with bad reviews (61) rated it at 71/100.

It's pretty crazy seeing how much higher or lower the same game was rated by about the same amount of people.

It then brings up a bit about how good game are talked about more, and you're getting good reviews bumping it up plus the word of mouth from the no review crowd which compounds into sales figures. Basically, good games sell themselves.

It's actually pretty interesting because I do think there are a lot of very... B level games elevated to A's because of review scores which are then considered disappointments, because they're not really A games.

Also, better games are sometimes rated down for whatever reason and those stand out as being more well enjoyed by a small group of people as opposed to the number who may actually really enjoy them. Cult hits, perhaps?

I've largely grown a bit unsatisfied by numerical review scores, because 90's are not treated equally. Is Super Mario Galaxy II really a better game than let's say Dark Souls because it was a 99 or 100 and Dark Souls is an 88? I doubt people would universally agree with that.

But I've rambled on long enough. What do you all think about game scores versus game quality? Do you read reviews and are you swayed by them? Do you think they influence what you think about a game? Are you someone who is fiercely loyal to certain brands like Final Fantasy, Halo, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mario, or Zelda, and will buy them no matter what, regardless of what reviews say?

147.png

#2 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think these game review sites like Gamespot and Metacritic do more harm to the industry than good. I remember one dev team that had to meet a certain score on Metacritic in order to get a holiday bonus for their game, and the end result was them not getting paid as much because they got a 79 or something.

There's also been numerous cases where the I just flat out disagreed with their scoring. Numerous triple A titles that didn't deserve a 90+ got them yet games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls get the short end of the stick simply because the reviewers were not the kind of people who the game was appealing to yet their reviews will affect their overall sales either way.

On an additional note, some of these review sites are paid by big name companies, effectively turning them into paid advertising.

DHHIpKN.png

#3 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yeah, exactly. That whole model is pretty shitty. Even the director for Assassin's Creed 3 is sweating bullets about what they're going to be scored for the game. It's like high school or college all over again, except the grading scale is arbitrary.

Also, I dunno how many people care, but the contract info was leaked for when Bungie signed on with Activision after their split with Microsoft. In it, there's a stipulation that the games that Bungie makes in their upcoming series have to average around a 90 on Metacritic

Revealed: The huge promises and secret stipulations of the Bungie Activision deal | Game development | Features by Develop

THE $2,500,000 METACRITIC BONUS
The total windfall Bungie receives if the first Destiny project receives a Gamerankings.com score above 90.

and also

ACTIVISION’S RIGHT TO TERMINATE

The publisher can pull away from the deal under the following conditions: 1) If Destiny 1 sales do not reach 5 million units after six months.
2) After the release of Comet 2 for any reason (2016)
3) If Halo Reach didn’t score more than 80% on Metacritic
4) If Halo Reach didn’t sell six million copies in its first six months

This practice is kind of sickening, but I can understand it at the same time.

147.png

#4 Crimson Jazz

Crimson Jazz

Knight

• Knight
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

What do you all think about game scores versus game quality? Do you read reviews and are you swayed by them? Do you think they influence what you think about a game? Are you someone who is fiercely loyal to certain brands like Final Fantasy, Halo, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Mario, or Zelda, and will buy them no matter what, regardless of what reviews say?

Well, tbh, if it is unanimously agreed upon by game critics that a game is shit, I'm more than likely going to stay away from it. Also, the places I normally visit for reviews are IGN, G4, GameSpot, and my monthly issues of Game Informer. Their opinions on the game (be them that the game is good or bad) have a slight influence on whether or not I'll buy it, especially if I'm really interested in the game. However, if they're downright nitpicking on a game I'm really interested in, I'll probably still end up buying it, or at least borrowing it from a friend who was also interested in it to test it out for myself.

And yes, I'm someone who's fiercely loyal to certain franchises. Halo, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed (even though I have yet to play Brotherhood and Revelations for myself), the main Mario series, NBA 2K series. Games in those franchises could get average (79-70/7.9-7.0) reviews and I'd still buy them.

I also really like Call of Duty and I am a fierce Madden fan, though those are games I'd probably skip if they unanimously had average, meh, or bad reviews. Same would probably go for 2K, even though I mentioned it above. I really don't like playing sports games that have average-to-bad reviews.

katy-perry-dark-horse-5.gif

Holy crap! I just looked out my window and saw a huge ball of fire in the sky!!!

Oh wait.....

[Today 09:55 PM] *Ralor cries*
[Today 09:55 PM] Ralor: ;-; I am an abomination to evolution
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i was addicted to the point where i couldnt function without some coke in my system
[Today 03:03 PM] Dion: i used to be addicted coke

It's okay, Dion...it's okay.

#5 Shino

Shino

Ex-Admin

• Paladin
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

I don't read game reviews. If I like something, I will buy it regardless of if a review says the game is horrible. I feel like reviews are pointless and these reflect just really one person's (the writer) views on the game. Everybody doesn't have the same taste in video games. We all bought FFX-2 right? But how many of us paid attention to the reviews before buying it? The game has high scores but I personally think the game sucked hard. It's all about what you personally like because reviews or word of mouth (be it good or bad) mean nothing to me.
http://www.knightly-...line=1346227521

Life is but a handful of dust - ANTHM

3 Years Gone. Still missing you, my dear friend. R.I.P Tynielle Silvera.

#6 Waker

Waker

Knight

• Knight
  • 783 posts
  • a boy with lots of lists and books

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I don't read game reviews. If I like something, I will buy it regardless of if a review says the game is horrible. I feel like reviews are pointless and these reflect just really one person's (the writer) views on the game. Everybody doesn't have the same taste in video games. We all bought FFX-2 right? But how many of us paid attention to the reviews before buying it? The game has high scores but I personally think the game sucked hard. It's all about what you personally like because reviews or word of mouth (be it good or bad) mean nothing to me.

Pretty sure we all bought KH without reading the reviews too. Very valid argument.

11vpmw8.jpg

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
— Mark Twain

“I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!”
— General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord