37 replies to this topic

#1 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

The original Defense of the Ancients, better known as DotA, was a Warcraft 3 mod that saw an immense following from around the world. However, due to the WC3's engine limitations, it was only inevitable that companies would remake the game with their own technology. Though certainly not the first title to be based off the original DotA, Valve's Dota 2 has one thing it can boast over other MOBA/ARTS games: They have two key members of the original DotA team onboard. Valve has ensured that Dota 2 will not be pay2win and that items will only be cosmetic, which has already been evidenced by the numerous hats in the ingame shop (not that it's a bad thing). All heroes will be readily available to all players, with only a few of them needing to be ported from the original DotA left. The current roster however surely holds enough variety for everyone's own tastes; whether you want to play as a high DPS mage slayer who hates magic with a passion, an insane pyromaniac who rides a bat and specializes in crowd control, or even a giant scorpion that creates earthquakes, surely Dota 2 will have a hero you will like.

Some handy links. I really recommend reading/watching these. Don't be too intimidated by the vast amount of info, everyone has to start somewhere and I'll be glad to explain/play with everyone that needs help :v

http://www.purgegame...o-dota-you-suck

http://dota2alttab.com/

http://dota2wiki.com/

http://blog.dota2.com

http://dotabuff.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/DotaCinema

http://www.youtube.com/user/dota2

DHHIpKN.png

#2 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Alright so Wynn got me through my first time playing Dota 2. I have to say I like it and even though I suck right now I'll probably get the hang of it later. If anyone is willing to let a newbie follow them around every once in a while I'm here. With some more experience I bet I'll be more helpful. It actually really like the mechanics of this and since there are no solo campaign I might go along to LoL (since it's the baby inspired by Dota) to improve myself.

I hope to play more and get more familiar with Dota soon :x

Also, thanks again Wynn for showing me around. It was more helpful than most of the tutorials I found.

TheDreamEX.png

tumblr_n6lpksz2V81sfgfh0o1_500.gif

Gif not by me

A little one

#3 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

No problem. Also, do keep in mind that a lot of the mechanics in LoL and DotA are different, so if you wanna be good in DotA it's usually better to play this game :v

And I usually play a lot of bot games on top of actual public matchmaking. If anyone on KG wants to play, just send me a message and we'll get a game going

DHHIpKN.png

#4 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Alrighty so I went on and played some matches (myself and just a bunch of bots) so that I could familiarize myself with the heroes. So far, yeah I've figured out Earthshaker really isn't that great so I scratched him off the list of characters I might play. Then I played along with Clinkz and wow he's pretty damn sweet once you fully level up his second ability (and grab some good items of course). I've learned it's gonna take a long time to get through all these peps x_x

Now I'm not throwing this post up to talk about my experience with Dota, even I wouldn't give much of a rats ass about it. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on what kind of characters I should avoid and those I shouldn't. I already got an idea on what I should avoid from the "You Suck" link but maybe some more suggestions and ideas on what heroes are sweet and which ones are not? I will try them out anyway but it's nice having a bit of an idea on what I'm going to die with.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#5 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Earthshaker isn't really newbie friendly, even I tend to avoid picking him. There so many things that can go wrong with the hero that it isn't generally a good idea to start with him.

And Clinkz is a pretty good hero to start with. He's fast, has a great escape and his mechanics are fairly easy to get used too. If you liked the invisibility aspect of the hero, you should try out Bounty Hunter. Other easy to get into right-click carry heroes are Drow Ranger, Skeleton King and Viper, imo.

There are also some other heroes that are easy to get into that fill out different roles. For support caster heroes, you can never go wrong with Lich, Lion or Ogre Magi. Then there are teamfight heroes that I would pick if I needed a safe and easy pick like Tidehunter and Centaur Warruner.

Knowing what kind of hero to pick is another subject altogether but just note that I separated these picks into different roles. For a more detailed discussion on that matter, this video kinda helps.

Finally, if you're new to DotA 2, the role of Ganker isn't really recommended to start with hence why I didn't list any down. Though Clinkz might qualify as one, he's more of a semi-carry with a sort of reliable escape. Once you think you have a good feel about the game, do try out some of the more complex heroes. Nothing like playing a good Puck, Weaver, Storm Spirit, Slark, Meepo, etc. with list just about encompassing everyone :v

DHHIpKN.png

#6 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

HAHAHAHA DOUBLE POST TIME

So, new hero has been added: Medusa, the Gorgon.

She will definitely see a lot of play, considering that mana shield and ult looks OP :v

Bunch of other stuff has been added to the game files as well, which is all listed in detail over at http://www.cyborgmat...ont-end-changes

DHHIpKN.png

#7 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

Medusa looks real OP. That mana shield and split shot looks pretty annoying. Even though it's reduced to just 80% when fully leveled it's still pretty dang terrifying if you're gonna go at her with a group. Sounds like she's eliminate people easy. Mana shield, dude taking away 50% damage is a lot. Then there's that snake :/. Get's stronger with every dude it hits, now that's pretty insane. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Still though, might be different when you play her.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#8 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Medusa's gimmick is really about manipulating the enemies position, I've noticed. Like, the first person in front for the enemy team would probably be the tank and the one at the very back would probably be the frail caster so doing the most damage for the last guy would pretty much mean that he dies quicker. I looked at her early game stats though and if you defeat her early before she gets her items it won't be such a big deal. Still, if anyone is worried about really fighting a Medusa, there are a couple of counters they could use. Mainly mana burners such as Anti-Mage, Nyx Assassin and Keeper of the Light.

I'm more worried if people decide to stack Medusa with a Drow Ranger, who happens to give ranged units more attack power in a global aura :v

Edited by Wynn, 10 January 2013 - 06:21 AM.

DHHIpKN.png

#9 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3wQ_tmfxs

Behold, the newest hero to be added to Dota 2. The basic strategy for Troll Warlord is this: Right-Click enemy hero. Are they alive? Right-click harder.

Patch will be implemented soon but patch notes are already out : http://www.cyborgmat...2-23rd-january/

DHHIpKN.png

#10 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like my kind of character. Also wow, I love that character design O.o

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#11 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

THE INTERNATIONAL 2013 IS UPON US!

Spoiler

Will China's Invictus Gaming retain their crown as champions? Or will the newly formed team of [A]lliance, who went undefeated in the group stages, prove their Swedish dominance over the Dota world? Will the legendary BurNIng of team DK retire with bitter taste of defeat or will he go out with one last hurrah? Will MUFC.Invasion pull an upset after going 0-14 in the group stages? Will the rivalry between Fnatic.EU and Virtus.Pro finally be decided during the tournament? And will we ever find out who IceFrog is?

TUNE IN TO THE INTERNATIONAL TO FIND OUT!

Edited by Wynn, 06 August 2013 - 11:16 AM.

DHHIpKN.png

#12 Valor

Valor

Valorous

• Monarch
  • 3,874 posts
  • This is My Design

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I know nothing about MOBAs. Will this change my enjoyment of said event?

147.png

#13 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Teamliquid.net recently made a guide for SC2 fans to enjoy Dota 2's International but I think this applies to all gamers.

http://www.teamliqui...topic_id=423777

Also, each game will have an English caster and the ones Valve invited to officially do so are pretty good at explaining what's happening. As well, magical moments happen during the International that just work up the crowd into a frenzy such as what the Dota community dubbed as The Play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldq1afiKQb8

DHHIpKN.png

#14 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

ALRIGHT THE FIRST MATCH IS STARTING IN 2 HOURS AND HERE'S THE JOINDOTA PAGE WITH STREAMER LINKS BELOW

http://www.joindota....eolution-orange

It's International 2011 Champions Na'Vi vs the South East Asian dark horse of Orange E-Sports. Which team will win the first match of the main event? TUNE IN!

Edited by Wynn, 07 August 2013 - 12:11 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#15 The Dream

The Dream

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,967 posts
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

So I've decided to pick up Dota 2 again after such a long time. Open it up and holy dang I like what they've done with it while I was gone (as in what they've done to the UI). I'm hoping that not too many changes were done to character stats though, or at least negative ones.

TheDreamEX.png

Gif not by me

A little one

#16 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:24 AM

As far as I know, no one really got the nerf bat and instead we got some buffs on a couple of characters that pushed certain meta trends. What does that mean in layman's speak? Basically, everyone is viable but certain heroes are picked more than others due to being flavors of the month :v

Also, our 2013 International Champions are Alliance, marking the first time ever that an all Swede team has won the event. Quite an easy thing to say considering only Na'Vi, a Ukranian team, and iG, a Chinese team, have won it before. A lot of things have been happening in Dota 2 as well, and not just in game. I've been hyping up the International a lot when it was going on but the big surprise that really got me was the involvement of Q13 Fox Seattle's Kaici Aitchison. Here's a great vid that she did as a followup to her hosting the event.

http://video.q13fox....ws&VID=25037982

Even though I wasn't there live, I watched the entire event over those 5 days. Needless to say, I definitely want to go to a future one. So what are you waiting for KG, go download it and let's play :v

DHHIpKN.png

#17 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjZYMI1zB9s

IT'S HERE. THE DOTA 2 DOCUMENTARY!

Edited by Wynn, 19 March 2014 - 03:13 PM.

DHHIpKN.png

#18 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

It's that time of year again, KG. This time the prizepool is larger, the teams are better and the storylines are just as exciting. We are just a few weeks away from Valve's most prestigious Dota 2 tournament, as 16 of the world's best teams face off in...

logo.png

Now, when I say the prize pool is bigger I actually meant it's the single largest prize pool for any single e-sport tournament of all time. As of this post, the current prize pool is $10,004,766. If the distribution of the prize money is the same as last year's, this means that each member of the winning team goes home with a million dollars each! For comparison, let's check out the other largest e-sports tournaments of all time. That's right, the second largest tournament was last year's International but that prizepool was only $2,874,407.00. This can only mean good things for e-sports as a whole and friends, I want you to join me in the wonderful spectator sport aspect of Dota 2.

compendium.png

Now, you might be wondering how the heck is the International prizepool for this year about 5 times larger than last years'? The answer is a digital scrapbook that costs $10 called The Compendium. When you buy a copy of the Compendium, you get custom courier cosmetics, Immortal level cosmetics for select heroes, a custom HUD, and so forth. Now, only $2.5 from each purchase actually goes to the prizepool, which means Valve literally printed money by selling digital books. The main difference between this year's Compendium from last years' though is the fact that you can buy Compendium points to upgrade your sweet digital book, which gives you more items. Aside from that, stretch goals were also introduced and all of the current ones have been achieved. 

HS7KsE4.jpg?2

The play-offs will be starting on July the 8th and end on July the 14th, with the main event running from July 18th to July 21st. These events can be viewed for free with either the Dota 2 client or on the official Valve twitch channel on these dates.

If there's interest on the teams, I can make summaries as to what makes them stand out from each other.

Edited by Wynn, 27 June 2014 - 10:34 AM.

DHHIpKN.png

#19 Kingroy

Kingroy

Knight

• Knight
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

Dat Dragon Knight

Screw Troll Warlord. I've watched him killed my allies so many times it's not joke.

Good news is that people that play as him tend to get cocky and easy to manipulate. 

Also I'm loving Templar Assassin right now. I'm not THAT good with positioning but she's teaching me as I go. The big issue I need to get over is that experienced players know she can't move when she's invisible. A simple Blink Dagger should fix that though and her Illusive ability allows her to take no damage for a few hits. Allow for good escape if you can manage it. 

Treant's also an OP support imo. He can heal structures and allies on a global scale... On top of that, the guy can hide himself and his allies if they're nearby tries. On top of that, he's a nasty tank and can drain your HP and give it to surrounding allies if he gets close. Also he can tangle you up and prevent you from escaping. Can't go wrong with him. Simply, can't.

I wanna play with some other characters tho... Don't know who though. 

Might try Phoenix or Lina or Crystal Maiden

[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: <.<
[Today 07:02 PM] Crimson Jazz: I know right!?!
[Today 07:02 PM] Kingroy: >.>
[Today 07:02 PM] Tengo Cash: Beiber is the man

Screw You ↑ You ↖ You ↗ You ↙ You → You ↓ You ↩ You ↪ You ↬ You ↫ You ↪ You ↩ You ↲ You ↯ You ↱ You ↰ You ↷ You ↳ You ↶ You ↴ You ↵ & You ↺

#20 Wynn

Wynn

Squire

• Squire
  • 695 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:01 AM

Try some of that Storm Spirit bruh. Being a baller lightning dude is fun.

Also

royventus: How do you avoid Pudge's hook brah. Fuck this guy so hard.

Step 1: Don't be bad.

Step 2: Buy wards.

Step 3: There is no profit.

DHHIpKN.png